1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Kudos to Joel Etchen, Jeff Mainland and Kolar Arms

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Game Warden, Jul 8, 2013.

1. Game Warden

Game Warden Member

Having recently retired and being able to focus back to my passion of skeet shooting (I know here come the pink tutu slams!), I went on the mission to sell off some guns and get back into a Kolar Skeet Set as I had over 10 years ago and sold. I contacted most every dealer that handled Kolar including 4 that I had previously done business with.

Joel Etchen (who I had purchased from before) right off the bat via email gave me prompt attention and gave me a quote that was amazing. (Two of the dealers that I sent emails to and called never even gave me the courtesy of a call or email back.) Well I called Joel to discuss further and work out the logistics and timing as I still needed to sell the Browning that I had (he even offered a heck of trade offer for it, but it sold very quickly for a few hundred more). Joel did not have a Max Skeet Set in stock, but made a contact to the Kolar factory to see what was available, and the next thing I know (within 10 minutes) I am getting a phone call from Jeff Mainland from the Kolar factory determining my exact needs, letting me know all about the set that they had, and generally giving the personal one on one attention that was amazing. Over the next day or so I received pictures from Jeff of the gun and conversed a few more times to address questions I had about configuration and fit.

Long story short, I consummated the sale with Joel and the gun set was sent directly from the factory to my local FFL with me receiving it last Wednesday. I have shot it twice so far for a total of six rounds of skeet split between 20 and 28 gauge and my scores have ranged from 21 to 23 which I will accept having been out of the game for well over 5 years and starting with a new gun - it fits well and recoil in the 2 subgauges is negligible. Will shoot 12 gauge this week in league shoots and .410 next weekend in practice. I also shot at the pattern board with both the 20 and 28 and they both hit 60/40 as promised with nice even patterns. (I am confident that it will even hold its own on the trap field for the few rounds that I shoot per year.)

The only issue that needed to fixed to my liking is that the 30" 2 barrel set came in an Americase set for a 32" set. In subsequent discussion with Jeff apparantly Kolar is sending 30" and 32" sets in the same case. Well I was not happy as such and without issue Kolar has ordered me a 30" case from Americase and will swap out the cases without further ado.

I am quite pleased with my new Kolar gun, the direct relationship with the manufacturer, and how this whole deal was facilitated and brokered by Joel Etchen. I have previously owned both P-guns and the other K-gun, and I never experienced this kind of service from either the dealers or the American service centers for those guns. My hat is off to Joel Etchen for a being a great dealer for Kolar, and for Jeff Mainland at the Kolar factory for being a true customer focused representative for their fine American made shotgun set.

And here are a few pictures:

gamewarden_2008_030369.jpg

gamewarden_2008_030370.jpg

gamewarden_2008_030371.jpg

gamewarden_2008_030372.jpg

gamewarden_2008_030373.jpg

Another Happy Kolar Owner!

Game Warden

2. Setterman

Setterman Well-Known Member

The new light weight or standard barrels?

3. Game Warden

Game Warden Member

It's a carrier barrel set, so one (12 gauge) is standard weight and the carrier is lightened so that when tubes are inserted the total weight equals the 12 gauge. Balance is at the barrel pivot point for all gauges.

4. stockguy

stockguy Member

You won't find a better gun manufacturer to work with than Jeff, Keith, and Co. at Kolar. I've shot the heck out of my Kolar for the last 12 years and it has served me well with almost no issues. Not only is it completely American made but they set the bar as high as you can go as far as customer service is concerned.

5. Donm

Donm Active Member

Well just get used to it. That is the kind of customer service you get from both companies.

6. ken1okie

ken1okie Active Member

I've dealt with Matt at Joel Etchen's and am well pleased. My Kolar Sporting gun came from them.

7. flush-em

flush-em Member

Is That Standard wood or Upgraded ?

8. Game Warden

Game Warden Member

That's what I got as Standard, but I tell you what, it is better than most wood that I have seen called upgraded by the other manufacturers. Kolar simply does a great job with their wood selection, and exceeds customer expectations (my previous Kolar set of over 10 years ago also had fantastic wood which came as standard).

9. DIXIE SPECIAL 25

DIXIE SPECIAL 25 Lifes too short not to shoot a K-80... TS Supporters

Now get ready to pay for the sub gauge ammo....ouch!

10. Game Warden

Game Warden Member

Lot cheaper to shoot as compared to 12 ga when you reload. And certainly less recoil.

11. kenf

kenf Active Member

I'll echo the comments on the service at JEG. Top notch group up there in Ligonier.

12. Spaz138

Spaz138 TS Member

I have purchased several guns from Joel and his staff over the years and have had nothing but a great experience. Call him and the gun is shipped and received in a couple of days. Highly recommend. Tom Parfitt

13. Joe Woods

Joe Woods Well-Known Member

I do not know Joel Etchen , but having a father ( Rudy) and Grandfather ( Fred)
    If Joel doesn't have a passion for shotguns and shotguns sports . He has tremendous shoes to fill and looks like is doing a mighty fine job. EH!!
    Etchen family has a very interesting history in our sport for the last 100 yrs. or so. I guess I am a fan.
    I do know Jeff Mainland, He likes to have happy customers and sell good guns.
    Must be a good team.

All the Best !!!

Joe Woods/Ontario

14. skeet_man

skeet_man Well-Known Member

Snowmoney- I've never once failed to reach someone at Kolar, and have been surprised to have the phone actually answered when I called after hours expecting to have to leave a message.

Sorry, but if you only tried twice, you didn't really give it the "old college try" did you?

Game Warden- You may regret your decision to swap the 32" case for a 30". With your extended 12ga chokes, it will be a VERY tight fit. I have flush chokes on my 30" kolar, and have about 3/4" of clearance. You'll have <1/4" if you're lucky on the choke tubed barrel, unless Americase has changed their case since I bought mine.

15. Landshark

Landshark Member

That is one beautiful gun you have there!

16. senior smoke

senior smoke Well-Known Member

In this day and age it is nice to hear stories about good customer service, especially in the gun industry. I do not know either gentleman but after reading your thread I would not hesitate to purchase a new gun from either of them.

I knew Jeff's father Don Mainland, and if Jeff is anything like his father he must be a good honest man.

I like threads like this. Good luck with your new shotgun.
    Steve Balistreri
    Wauwatosa Wisconsin

17. Game Warden

Game Warden Member

This is my second Kolar Set (1st was slightly used and this set is new) and second experience with Kolar and their dealers over about a 12 years period. When I was purchasing the 1st set from a dealer I talked directly to "Rags" at the factory and he was able to give me the history of Kolar gun and answer all my questions about the gun and their company. And now this time I have dealt directly with Jeff and their Executive Assistant Dawn and have had no problem getting ahold of a person at the factory.

Snowmoney I can't figure out why you might be having troubles contacting them; maybe drop them an email to the attention of Jeff directly explaining what's up and see if that works.

Skeetman I appreciate your input on the case, but will prefer the tighter fit as compared to the way too much room right now. I just sold a 30" case and my Browning 30" barrels with extended chokes fit with just enough room for to insert my finger at both ends and pull the barrels up. And if I have to put the 12 gauge barrels into the slot without extended tubes inserted to have finger room that's fine as well. My biggest issue with the 32" case for the 30" set is all the extra room in the lid for the tubes to move back and forth and too much room in the stock compartment. Also, the 30 " case shaves about 2 pounds of weight off.

First three outings with the gun were great, but tonight I just wasn't in the game and it was no fault of the gun. Will try the .410 barrels on Saturday. Overall initial impression is that I like well, it fits, and once my head is back in the game it will serve me very nicely.

I am certainly glad that we have any American company making these fine guns to compete with the overseas crowd, and at the same time is surviving the bad times in the economy.

18. kraiza

kraiza Active Member

Very nice looking gun.

Search tags for this page
bad stories about kolar arms
jeff mainland
jeff mainland kolar
joel etchen woods
kolar arms
kolar arms dealers

kolar arms jeff mainland

kolar shotgun review