1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

KS5 primer failure

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by loophole, Jan 27, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. loophole

loophole TS Member

I'm having trouble with my KS-5 punching the primer deep enough to fire. It happens infrequently but it's a pain. Once. it was 5 out of 50; the next time it was 2 of 50. I brought it to a friend and he cleaned it and fired the shell I gave him, in his own gun, and it fired. He tried it with 5 shells and only four fired. The last one had a very small dimple in the primer. Has anyone any suggestions as to this problem?

2. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

Sounds as though the problem may lie in either your choice of primers or loader adjustment at the priming station. New style AA hulls and non Win. primers on a PW machine by chance? Hap

3. KS user

KS user TS Member

I also had a problem with my KS doing the same thing.It turned out to be my loader was setting the primer too deep.

4. BL

BL Member

After 75 thousand rounds I started getting an occasional light hit with new shells. I installed a new hammer spring and have had no more problems for the last ten thousand rounds. BL

5. waverider

waverider Well-Known Member

If the primer is not set deep enough, this will also cause a failure. The first strike moves the primer forward using up the energy needed to fire the primer. Did you try to re-use the miss fired shell in your gun again?

Jason

6. ivanhoe

ivanhoe Well-Known Member

Try some new shells if there is a problem with the new shells then it might be the gun if there is no problem with new shells it more than likely is a reloading problem.

Bob Lawless