1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

KS-5 Thumb Syndrome

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by larrystrollo, May 9, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. larrystrollo

larrystrollo Member

I've been shooting a KS-5 Special for a few years. Last year I sent it to Krieghoff for a general service, and they replaced the coil spring that is attached to the opening lever. Since then, the I've been experiencing a some pain at the joint where the base of my thumb meets the rest of my hand. For the previous couple years (before that spring was replaced), it was not a problem.

I have been trying to open the lever with the fleshy part of the base of my thumb, but I don't always remember, and who knows what problems that will cause.

Any fellow KS-5 shooters know if I can just cut some of the coil off to make it have less tension? Will that affect anything else? Any other ideas or tricks you've figured out?

LMS

2. hoggy

hoggy TS Member

Try using the left hand thumb while holding the gun by the grip with the right hand. It seems a little awkwards at first but in a round or two becomes quite natural. As the barrel comes down it's easy to block the hull with left hand.

3. Herman63

Herman63 Member

It should loosen up mine was tight when I fist got it but had been shooting a auto and it was my first break open.

I have a a new 687 that is hard to open and bothers me some opening it as it cocks different.

Herman63

4. K80433SC

K80433SC Member

Not so sure I agree with the "dumb design" theory, but...........

I shot a KS5 for nearly 20 years, with no problems at all. The only thing I did to mine was to disable the ejector, so that catching the hull was never an issue. That way -- no matter how you decided to cock the hammer and open the breech, the shell simply lifted up - as opposed to ejecting from the chamber.

I would never want an "intelligent" trapshooter to be burdened with a firearm of "dumb" design. If anyone wants to part with their older KS5, please let me know. *smiles*

5. JACK

JACK Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

K80. That post went up late and I was tired. I spologize to you and others that might own one of those "thumb guns". And I am a bit sensitive re thumbs right now as well. I thought I had tendonitis in my thumb wrist connection and it turns out ot be worn out joints, arthritis, bone spurs etc.

Forgive me, that was a silly comment and I'll try and do better.

Jack

6. X Trap 2

X Trap 2 TS Member

I too did not like the extra force it took to open the gun. Had a KS 5 and A Special. Also tried a Ljutic Pro III with the stainless receiver and really did not like the opening on it. Traded it in on my Cole which is now my back up gun. I now shoot a P gun. Some K guns probably open easier than others. I was told on the Ljutic that I could cut a coil off to make it easier to open but I quickly realized that I did not like the way it opened and wanted to get rid of it. Ray