1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

KS-5 Questions

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by 682Fan, Jun 29, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 682Fan

682Fan TS Member

I am seriously considering a KS-5, and have read some of the threads.

I just need to re-hash the following:

1) What gae (or other) difference beteewn the model with "KS5" logo on the receiver, and the scroll receivers? 2)Any recoils issues?

The cocking lever force seems pretty stiff, but these guns appear to be popular at the two clubs I shoot at. Would appreciate any comments.

Thanks as always

Arnie

2. perazzitms

perazzitms TS Member

No difference. The logo receivers are a little newer than the old style scroll receivers.

Recoil is in the shoulder of the beholder.

The top lever is stiff because it's resetting the mainspring. The 5's have no cocking rods.

It's a good gun if you're looking for a KS-5. If you think you're getting a K-80 on the cheap you'll be disappointed.

3. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

Arnie, there were three standard-grade KS-5 receiver versions and the differences are almost totally cosmetic. The first few were flat-sided with engraving around the edges. Then came the flat-sided "logo" receiver and in 1994, the last version with the scalloped sides was released. "Special" versions came standard with a rib that could be adjusted with a thumbwheel and an adjustable comb. The rib on non-Special versions could be adjusted for POI by changing the hanger on the muzzle. Krieghoff International does or at least did exchange hangers for gun owners. The lower the hanger number, the higher the POI with "0" being the lowest number.

There were also several higher-grade versions but none of those were Specials. Early-on, the guns were made with an ejector or an extractor - converting an ejector gun to extraction is easy; the opposite is not. They and their successor, the KX-5, came with 32" or 34" barrels.

The KS-5 was available with or without choke tubes. Fixed-choke barrels are marked with a "K-number" on the left rear of the barrel tube indicating how it was choked. "K3" is Improved Modified and "K4" indicates a Full choke.

The effort required to operate the top lever is higher than most other guns because, as was already stated, it cocks the hammer instead of the barrel being lowered. The lever is longer and the thumb pad is larger than usual for that reason. You become accustomed to it quickly and a lot of people find it much easier on their lower back muscles. Another benefit of that system is that there are very few moving parts in the receiver to fail. The guns are about unbreakable with the only failure I ever hear about being an occasional broken ejector.

Ed

4. 682Fan

682Fan TS Member

Thanks all for the fine info. I can now move forward with this.

5. Lyle

Lyle Member

The KS-5 Special, if you can find one, is the best bang for the buck. All of the options of the KX5 for a fraction of the price. I just happen to have one for sale on the forum.
    PM me or email at lbayley@kunaschools.org for more info.

Lyle

6. st8shuter

st8shuter TS Member

just bought a ks 5 (older scroll model) and absolutely love it, simple design and smokes targets, shot a 98 in cap the other day a career high!

7. dave-320c

dave-320c Well-Known Member

st8shuter:
    I should have my KS5 Super Scroll in about three weeks.
    Could you send a picture or two of yours to my email.
    Much appreciated.
    Thanks in advance,
    Dave