1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

KS-5 & KX-5 Owners?

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by DON 3200, Aug 4, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DON 3200

DON 3200 TS Member

Please give me comments re KS-5 AND KX-5 quality, performance and reliability.
    Any part failure issues, pattern problems or company service hassles?
    Any purchase regrets?
    Thanks for the data.
    Don

2. 1Ljutic1

1Ljutic1 TS Member

I don't own one. But, I do know three guys who shoot them regularly, and all of them like theirs. One, his would go off when closing, sent it back, came back ok. But, he just doesn't hit well with it. He still says it's a great gun though.
    Steve

3. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

I've got the KS-5 Special and haven't got one complaint. It's so simple that something going wrong just seems nearly impossible. The Special and the KX-5 are the same gun with a couple of simple modifications on the later KX-5 gun. Both have 4 way adj. combs, 2 way adj. trigger, choke tubes and adj. ribs. I consider them classic studies in German simplicity. Some complain that it's more difficult to open the gun after a shot because operating the opening lever also cocks the hammer for the next shot. I adjusted to that little extra resistance within a box of shells and don't rate it a problem. They are easy to convert to extract only if you're inclined. I consider the Ks-special to be the best buy if you can find a nice one since it's not much different than the KX gun but several hundred bucks cheaper; maybe $3200 vs. +/- $4K. Mine cleans easy, stores in it's case, assembles easy, there's no cocking rods or other attachments between forearm and receiver, easy stock removal....two thumbs up....Bob Dodd

4. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

Hmmm, the reason Steve's buddy had a gun that would fire when closing could well be because one of the adjustments on the trigger permits you to adjust for poundage of let off. If you get it too light, it will work fine without any shells but may occasionally or often fire when closing the gun. All one needs to do in that case is to move that adjusting screw (gun assembled and ready to go) a 1/2 turn or so until it can be reliable.....Bob Dodd

5. jbmi

jbmi Well-Known Member

I just bought a KS-5 Special. I think it has about 3 moving parts and is just a great gun. I've been shooting a 90-T and the KS is just giant leap better. My scores have gone up and the gun just seems to become part of you. I'm very happy with the choice.

6. kmks5

kmks5 TS Member

I have a 1988 KS5 and never have had a single problem withit and it gets shot every week

7. remman

remman TS Member

Have a KS 5 Special, 34" w/release; can't imagine a better setup. Jim

8. Lyle

Lyle Member

Doubles are hard to shoot with these guns. Other than that, they are the best quality for the money out there.

Lyle

9. fritzi93

fritzi93 TS Member

I broke one leg of my ejector last September at our club championship. Suddenly it wouldn't close, that's when I saw the problem. Pushing in the shell slightly while beginning to close the gun allowed me to finish. Maybe a 30 second delay to the squad, the one time only. (BTW, I won).

That was on a Sunday. Monday I called up KI at Ottsville. I got the option of sending the old one in and upon receiving it they'd send me a new one free of charge. Or they'd send me one immediately, charge me for it, and refund the charge when they received the busted ejector. I chose the second option and got it on Tuesday. No complaints, and the ejector was easy to swap out.

Actually, they wanted me to come to KI, saying the ejector may need to be timed. Bleh, I don't care if it ejects, I just left the E-clip out. Since I reload, that's more convenient anyway.

As others have said, not much to go wrong with the gun. I believe it's 5 moving parts in the lockwork, six if a release. I have a factory release, best one I ever had, and I've had several. Very positive, keeps its adjustment. The adjustable rib and comb hardware are first class, they likewise stay put. Although a couple buddies have had the set screw on the rib front work loose, perhaps they weren't tightened down enough.

10. PhillyD

PhillyD Member

I had a KX-5 for 3yrs.Never a problem. Great gun for the money.If you need service, Kreighoff service is exceptional. ...Philly D

11. cfchief

cfchief Member

Just like a previous post, swapped my 90t for a ks that had been completly gone over at the krieghoff shop, just like brand new gun inside and out, scores have went up ,at the ohio state shoot there were 4 other ones on the same squad love it chief

12. George MT.

George MT. Moderator Staff Member

My Dad is 74 years old and swears by his KX-5.He shoots every week,has had alot of trap guns but when all is said and done the KX-5 is still the one that is in the gun safe and ready to rock and all the others have been sold.A KX-5 would be a great choice for anyone looking for a great singles and caps gun. Sincerly George Jr.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.