1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

KS-5 falls from truck

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by OGC Director, Nov 8, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. OGC Director

OGC Director TS Member

A fellow shooter from Oxford Gun Club recently had his KS-5 (in the case) fall from his truck after he left work in Newark Del. The gun was lost between Albe Dr at Old Baltimore Pike and the Lowes at Rt 7&40. There is a reward offered.

Please call 302 893-5164 if you have info.

2. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

How in thee hell do you have any gun fall from your truck after leaving work? Nevermind, i dont want to know. Good luck with that one.

Matt

3. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

Yeas ago I left a briefcase full of car titles and cash on the roof of my truck and drove off. Luckily a friend was behind me and seen it hit the pavement

4. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

Back in 1975 or 1976, I was driving a new Caprice station wagon as a company car and got to talking to someone while I was loading up to go home from shooting trap. Those cars had a "clamshell" tailgate where the glass went up into the roof and the gate went down under the floor. I forgot to close the tailgate and drove off. Back then, air conditioning wasn't nearly as common on new cars (it even was still an option on Cadillacs) and driving with the glass open was a popular practice, so I didn't pick up on the road noise level. Fortunately, I did hear the hard plastic case my 3200 Competition was in hit the pavement when I accelerated from the club lane onto the road.

That's one way you can do that!

Ed

5. OGC Director

OGC Director TS Member

From what I was told, he left the tailgate down. There were more than a few lost gun stories being told at the club. A good friend of mine was a police officer in Oxford. A guy he worked with put his gym bag on the roof of the car while unlocking it and then drove away with it still on top of the car. In the bag was his badge and service revolver. Fortunately it was found by an honest person who returned it.

6. senior smoke

senior smoke Well-Known Member

An old timer one time finished shooting and placed his KX 5 on top of his car as he opened his driver side door to get something. He then opened his trunk of his car and put his vest and shell bag in his trunk. He drove off with the gun sitting on top of his car. As he merges into traffic he hears someone blowing their horn. As he looks through his rear view mirror he sees his shotgun fly off of his car landing on the road. The gun was ruined.
    Steve Balistreri

7. mrskeet410

mrskeet410 TS Member

At a company safety meeting we were told not to place items on the roof our cars, but to set them on the hood. Even if you forget about it on the hood, you'll notice it when you start up. The horror story at the safety meeting was the person who left their baby on the car roof.

Personally, I can figure anybody leaving a gun in the back of truck parked anywhere, let alone parked at work.

8. OGC Director

OGC Director TS Member

He took the gun into his shop while working and then put it in the back of his truck and headed to the gun club. Why the tailgate was down, I don't know.

9. Chango2

Chango2 Active Member

Another reason not to drink before, during, or after shooting. I knew of one person who would drink lots of beer and once left his gun on the rear bumper of his truck and drove off. He lost the gun. Seriously, I've messed up too many minor things/sequences after (even) only one beer.

A little "wimp" factor may help; I once left a medium size Starbuck coffee on my truck's rear bumper and it was still there after 15 miles when I arrived at the club. I thought that was impossible until I saw it for myself. I guess I drive conservatively...even though I used the freeway.

10. Hauxfan

Hauxfan Well-Known Member

That's funny, Shootlow.

Shootlow was riding the wagon at the Iowa State Shoot, but instead of sitting down on the seats, he was standing on the bac steps. Well, to make a long story short (like Shootlow) the tractor and wagon took off and Shootlow forgot to hang onto his gun.

That was funny! Luckily, I don't think it hurt his trap gun.

And another guy left his Perazzi on the roof of his car when he drove off. He got the gun back, but I think it cost over a $1000.00 to get it back to normal.
    I won't mention his name, but he was from Dysart, Ia.

Hauxfan!

11. OGC Director

OGC Director TS Member

The shooter who lost the gun got a phone call from a trucker in Illinois who claimed he bought the gun at a truck stop in Del. for $175. He is trying to determine if its a scam attempt or the real deal.

12. mrskeet410

mrskeet410 TS Member

Rick Barker - Agreed. That's why I put things on the hood, not the roof.

13. sernv99

sernv99 Active Member

" The shooter who lost the gun got a phone call from a trucker in Illinois who claimed he bought the gun at a truck stop in Del. for $175. He is trying to determine if its a scam attempt or the real deal."

what is the state of residence of the trucker? If he is a non-Del, resident, he just commited a federal crime....hopefully that is the case so your friend can report the gun "stolen" and now he has two things to leverage against the trucker: an out of state resident buying a stolen firearm.

keep us updated....

14. Hauxfan

Hauxfan Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

As you can well see, Shootlow is a closet skeet shooter by the color of his cap. lol

Hauxfan!

15. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

Now you guys play nice.....

16. ivanhoe

ivanhoe Well-Known Member

"Part of the human condition."

Well of the hand full of companies that allow you to bring a gun to work. With out explanation how would anyone understand how that could happen????

Most companies I know of don't allow you to bring any firearms into their place of business and most don't even allow them on their property.

Bob Lawless

17. Seitz Shooter

Seitz Shooter Member

The unlucky/lucky guy had cleaned his gun and put it back in the case and left it on the tailgate, went back into his shop and forgot it was on the tailgate.

When heading to my house he made a hard right, not unlike a post 5 bird, and the gun slid off the tailgate. Like his post 5 bird, the gun was also lost.

A North East MD elected official found the gun and turned it in to the MD state police.

When the ATF got involved they found the gun in MD. It was transferred to the DE state police and the owner picked it up.

The Illinois guy never had the gun and who knows what he was up to.

Adios, Dirk