1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Kroil Oil

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by cubancigar2000, May 1, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

I have read many threads about "the best" cleaner, rust preventer. I bought a can of Kroil Oil a few years ago and only used it for frozen screws nuts and bolts. I recently took my 90T trap gun apart which I had not done in the year I have owned it. To my dismay, when I pulled the trigger out and removed the side plates I was looking at rust. I am a person who never ever goes home from a shoot without cleaning and oiling my gun so I was surprised to say the least. I decided to use my kroil Oil by soaking the trigger and the inside of the reciever and it's parts. Within minutes the rust dissolved and I was able to wipe the parts clean. No pits no nothing. I could not believe that the Kroil oil was that effective so I decided to use it to clean the inside of the bore. Wow!!! Just wanted to share becuase I was ready to order some Ballistol and I doubt that would have worked

2. slayer

slayer Well-Known Member

Kroil has worked well in many situations for me when nothing else would. it's worth the extra $$. Bill

3. shannon391

shannon391 Active Member

A friend in maintenance at the local coal burner, told me the plant would shut down without it!

4. BAD 303

BAD 303 Active Member

It is my second choice behind Break Free CLP for my autos. Great cleaner and lube.

5. kenf

kenf Active Member

I run Kroil 50/50 with Shooters Choice to run down all bores to clean, and run a wet Kroil only patch for storage. It leaves a slightly sticky residue behind that is easily cleaned out. The product is awesome, if you aren't using it you should be. The only thing I've found comparable for penetrating is BG In-Force, or the other similar pro automotive penetrating oils.

6. john g.

john g. TS Supporters TS Supporters

I have but this on before

Alot of shooters in my area have mixed 70% mobil 1 / 30% Kroil they use it for cleaning / lubing and have great reports.Single shot Rifle and hand guns no lead build up. I have noticed a big differance in the lack of fouling of my trap guns little to no plastic from wads.

Kroil the oil that creeps must carry in the synthetic oil to the pores of the metal and the syn.oil burns off at a much higher temp. preventing the fouling.

John G.

7. dale1957

dale1957 Member

Kroil is the best product for guns there are. Just a strong smell.

8. oldschool

oldschool TS Member

Though the years I have used just about every cleaner lubricant out there. Many good products no doubt but if I had to use only one it would be Kroil. The smell is as strong as the job it does however.

9. shotgunpeople

shotgunpeople Active Member

Welcome to the world of us old time Machine shop repairmen. Grinders and some large lathes with coolant, were the worst to take apart. Use some Kroil on the bolts, and it was like magic.

Mechanics dream for rusted and stuck bolts.

Dave in SC

10. wayneo

wayneo Active Member

Yep, been using it for years. Click on ^^^^^^ Kano labs web site for some free samples,(with a purchase). If you register with them, they will send you special offers in the mail. A+ company.

Its also good with copper and lead build-up.

Wayne

11. JayZap

JayZap Active Member

Great stuff. Never tried it on firearms, but that is about to change.

12. wayneo

wayneo Active Member

You're right Jack. I'll edit my post.

Wayne

13. slkslk

slkslk TS Member

I have a question........I have several little cans of what is supose to be rifle cleaner. These are like oval cans about 1" wide & 3" tall. Olive drab color with ord.numbers. They came from the military. They are very old and the stuff inside really smells strong. I wonder if it might be Kroil oil. I bought these when I was a kid from a army navy surplus store about 35 years ago.Anyone else ever see any of these.

Steve

14. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

Steve, I used those in the USMC on my M1. They issued us those little cans and referred to it as bore cleaner but I dont remember it smelling like Kroil. That was over 50 years ago so it may have

15. lostandout

lostandout Member

the stuff i bought in what sounds like the same can smelled way worse than kroil and was thicker

brian

16. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

I believe this is what slkslk is talking about above. Mine doesn't smell like Kroil.
    [​IMG]

17. slkslk

slkslk TS Member

That is the stuff. It sure smells strong, but I see that it says S C Johnson and son.
    I seams to work pretty good from what I could remember. I would think any this the government bought would be good stuf

Steve

18. slkslk

slkslk TS Member

This is some of the information I have collected on GI bore cleaners.

The military “Cleaner- Rifle Bore”, Spec 2-117 is primarily kerosene and Cresylic acid, similar to its first cousin, Creosote. Cresylic acid, an excellent bore cleaner, has an unpleasant odor, will instantly strip finish from wood, etch and/or dissolve many plastics and cements and swells rubber.

There were six "mainstream" manufacturers of rifle bore cleaner during WWII: Curran Corporation (Malden, Mass.); American Oil & Supply (Newark, New Jersey); Banner Manufacturing (NYC, New York); A.S. Boyle (Jersey City, NJ); S.C. Johnson & Son (Racine, WI); and Fidelity Manufacturing (Allentown, PA). All six of these made the bore cleaner in the 6oz. size; three of the six also made the 2oz. size (Curran, S.C. Johnson & Fidelity) and at least Curran, S.C. Johnson & Banner also made the quart size.

Bore cleaner formulas varied by manufacturer. Curran, S.C. Johnson, A.S. Boyle and Banner's 1944 contract (quart can) all used the cresylic acid / kerosene mix, which is dark brown and smells terrible. Banner's 1943 contract (6oz can) is milky white in color. American Oil & Supply is amber colored, thicker, and smells a little like turpentine. Fidelity Manufacturing made the post-war style kerosene-based cleaner. Regardless of formula, all met the military SPEC. RIXS-205, which changed later in the War to SPEC. USA 2-117.

19. Star4Ever

Star4Ever Member

Been Using Kroil since my modern benchrest days. Pretty much all we used inside our barrels, a mix of 50% Kroil and 50% Butch's Bore Shine. A very fine product. Recently removed a stuck choke in a used gun. 24 hour dunk in a frozen orange juice can of Kroil..... the choke came out with little effort. If you are a gun guy and a gear head... you need Kroil.... nuff said.
    Art

20. Paladin

Paladin Well-Known Member

"Butch's Bore Shine"

I met Butch at a Benchrest match at the Minnetonka Game & Fish Club in Minnesota in about 1998 I think. He brought some of his bore cleaner for sale for $5.00 a quart. Had not even given it a proper name yet, calling it Butch's Bore Snot. The bottle had a generic wrapper on it. Thankfully he eventually gave it a proper name.

I attended many match's there, and the two match's he attended when I did, he slept under the Tonneau cover of his pick-up, with his head on a pillow on the tail-gate, for what ever reason. Must be an open air guy or something.

It looks like he created a fine product. I've not used my bottle, yet, but will now.