1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Krighoff Doubling

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Mtneer, Apr 19, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mtneer

Mtneer TS Member

I was hoping to call on some experts on the thread for a little advice. I just purchased a used K-80 Sporting which was in great shape. Great looking gun with a slight right hand cast. I was excited to take it out today to shoot some clays. After about 12 stations, it doubled once on me. I did not think much about this because I have shot guns with inertia triggers before and thought that I was maybe not releasing correctly. The gun started doing this a bit more after a few more stations which really throws off the concentration a bit. I had two different friends shoot the gun, and nothing happened to them regarding the doubling. THey shot about 7- 8 times each without this occurring. Both are right handed shooters and I am a lefty. Is it possible that the trigger shoe on a krieghoff is made for a right hander? Am I doing something wrong? Any advice or help would be appreciated.

thanks
    Mike

2. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

A K-80 has a mechanical trigger. Is it a standard model or an RT? HMB

3. CharlesR1100

CharlesR1100 TS Member

K80 does not have a trigger shoe, just a trigger. Trigger is for right or left index fingers. (I have two k80s.) It is a mechanical trigger, needs no inertia to work. Have you pulled the stock off to visually check the trigger parts and works? Do you know how it works? Have you cleaned it? Have you checked with the former owner? Next step would be to go to the Krieghoff web site and get the phone number of the service dept and give them a call. May have to send the receiver and perhaps the stock to them. Not a bad idea anyway. Under no conditiion should it double if used as intended.

4. Mtneer

Mtneer TS Member

Charles, thanks a ton for the advice. I am definitely planning on calling Krieghoff and most likely sending in. The gun was made in 99, and appears to be in great shape although you never know until you open it up. The problem bugs the heck out of me because it could not be duplicated by the other two guys who shot the gun. I am hoping for something mechanical because it sure makes a guy a bit nervous when you think that the next pull of the trigger may have both barrels cut loose.

thanks to all.

Mike

5. g7777777

g7777777 TS Supporters TS Supporters

I have seen this happen countless times with many brands- my guess is the trigger is much lighter and cleaner than you are used to and you are actually letting off enough to just allow the second barrel to fire- so you are in effect pulling the trigger twice- that is why it didnt happen to your friends

one thought- move the trigger back to the rear position and see if it still happens

Gene

6. GunDr

GunDr Well-Known Member

Fan-firing....some shooters will do it, others not. Those that do, tend to squeeze the trigger instead of slapping it. The soft squeeze allows the gun to come off the shoulder enough for you to bump the trigger a second time. If you listen close, you or the other shooters will hear two distinct shots.

7. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

The trigger shoe on a K-80 is adjustable for length of pull. It is possible you could solve the problem by moving the trigger shoe back reducing the length of pull. Another problem could be lube on the hammer notch and sear. You can solve this by cleaning this area with a cue tip dipped in rubbing alcohol and leaving the notch and sear mating surfaces dry and free from any lube. HMB

8. Mtneer

Mtneer TS Member

Guys;

Again, all great advice. I have shot a 682 gold e for quite a while, and what you have said makes sense as well. I thank all of you again. This is a great website.

thanks again to all
    Mike

9. Pride Engineer

Pride Engineer Member

I own four Krieghoffs and have experieced this once after probably a combined 300,000 rounds. My gun did it twice and all that was wrong was it needed cleaning. There are several good dealers that can clean and give your gun an annual service. Check out their website for the one closest to you. I would have confidence in Alamo in San Antonio, Chris Maest out east, DuPont in Florida, or of course Krieghoff in Penn. All will do you right. The annual or every 10,000 or so round service goes for about $200. They clean, adjust, and replace all springs and "c" clips. I have not had a problem with my current Trap Special other then this doubling in three years and during that time I have registered about 80,000 targets. I do get it serviced every year at the Grand and at the SW Grand.

Mark Zauhar

10. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

My M.32 K-gun will double if the barrel selector gets accidentally placed right in the middle between under barrel first or upper barrel first. This is easy to do with the M.32 since the lever is longer than the ones on the K80 but I'm guessing it could happen on the K80 too. Easy to check, just work the barrel selector back and forth a couple of times and make sure it's solidly on the place you want and not anywhere in the middle.....Bob Dodd

11. Buddy O

Buddy O TS Member

Had the same problem with my K-80 several years ago. Phil (http://www.phillips-gunsmithing.com/) fixed it for next to nothing.

12. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

About once a year, I throw my K gun up and hold it loosely. BA-BOOM. It will remind me to hold it firmly.

Most any gun will fan fire if not held right. The fact that other folks shot it without incident is a hint.

Just to make sure, shoot the other barrel for a while and see it you get a double with it. If so, you may be holding it too loosely.

You don't need a death grip, just firm.

Another way to check for function problems it to use too much finger on the trigger. Put your finger on the trigger at the first joint. Shoot a round with it. Hold the trigger in, and only allow it to reset after your shot is over. If you miss a bird or two, remember that you are checking out your gun for problems. If you have ever shot Precision Air Rifle, use the same trigger technique.

If you have a mechanical problem, your gun will likely double. If the problem does not occur, you know it is the way you hold the firearm.

13. phirel

phirel TS Member

The trigger is adjustable for length by loosening a small set screw on the outside of the trigger. Make sure this screw is tight and not allowing the trigger to slip. If you are able to turn that screw very slightly, you may have found the problem.

Pat Ireland

14. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

That screw should be checked from time to time. Sometimes I forget that not everybody is a gunsmith. (snicker)

15. Dickgshot

Dickgshot Well-Known Member

There seem to be a lot of posts about Perazzi's and Krieghoffs doubling. Anybody having a problem with their Huglu? I thought not. Any SKB's out there doubling?
    No? How about Silver Seitz? Oh, that's right, only one barrel.

16. EuroJoe

EuroJoe TS Supporters TS Supporters

Krieghoff triggers do not like very light pulls,under 2 3/4 lbs is asking for trouble. The k-80 got people into trouble, because of the nice recurve of the trigger. It's possible to pull hard, & think it needs to be lighter, because the mechanism needs to be lifted as well a pulled, hence the shape of the Model 32 trigger. I've owed these guns since 1965 without problems.

17. country gentleman

country gentleman Member

When you send the gun to Krieg. for repair, have the stock inlet to change cast for left hand shooter. They have done hundreds for me. The alteration is cheap, permanent and unnoticable with no stock bending involved. Lefty shooters always shoot better with lefty stocks. Todd Nelson

18. Mr Newbius©

Mr Newbius© TS Member

YashouldhaveboughtaStoeger. ;-)

19. JohnP

JohnP Member

I just bought a new K80 and shot about 300 rounds through it with the factory stock on it with no problem other than it being very straight stock. I put a PFS stock on it to get a better fit and the first 200 rounds I had it double on me 5 times. The PFS felt adjusted a little soft so I've stiffened it up some but haven't shot it again yet since. I am assuming the the PFS being a little soft and allowing the gun to move back was causing something with my hand/finger to make it double. If it does it again I will put the wood stock back on to confirm this.

20. phirel

phirel TS Member

The triggers are adjustable with a cam. It sounds like some of the doubling problems could be solved with a tighter grip on the gun. Make sure the screw that holds the trigger in place is tight. This is a very small lock screw on the side of the trigger.

Pat Ireland

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.