1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Krieghoff won't open?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by GiesJ, Aug 14, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GiesJ

GiesJ Member

Krieghoff won

My model 32 will not open. It appears that the top latch will not travel enough rearward to allow the barrel to clear and open. Has this ever happened to anyone? Factory handicap shells shooting the model 32 O/U.
    Thanks in advance!

2. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Banned User Banned TS Supporters

Take off the stock. Could be a broken hammer or a few other things!!

3. GiesJ

GiesJ Member

Thanks for the info, I'll get the stock off soon. Has anyone actually had this problem?
    jason

4. oleolliedawg

Most people who shot a Krieghoff-myself included-have experienced similar!!

5. GiesJ

GiesJ Member

oleollie - was it a broken hammer for you?

6. oleolliedawg

Did you take off the stock and shake it a few times? The broken hammer will then fall out!!

7. skeet_man

skeet_man Well-Known Member

Try pushing the trigger forward as you open it. I don't have any first hand experience, but I've heard from people that do that when a part breaks in the trigger, what your experiencing will happen, and that pushing forward on the trigger will allow the gun to open.

8. Mapper

Mapper Member

Yeah Ol Ollie has the handle. I broke a hammer once, with a shell in the gun. It fell and hung the other hammer from falling. Bottom line, it blew a hole in my car, when I took the stock off. Hal fixed the gun for free, but did not replace my car seat. My friends were so concerned that they kept asking if I was going to a car shoot.

9. g7777777

g7777777 TS Supporters TS Supporters

Or barrel selector has broken-

Yes I have seen that problem- take the stock off

Hammer could be broken also

regards from Iowa

Gene

10. Fritzboy

Fritzboy TS Member

Call or send to Chris Maest

11. tozer

tozer TS Member

Krieghoff won

I had a kriegoff. we had trouble with it all the time, offloaded it and got a winchester 5 years ago, "superb gun" and half price of kriegoff.

12. Auctioneer

Auctioneer Well-Known Member

When I was at the 2002 Grand and I was on the trolley and noticed a guy who had his trapgun closed, pointed up and between his knee's. I looked over things and then asked him "why don't you open your gun for everyone"? I said that nicely. He said "I wish I could but the gun will not open after I fired it. I'm now taking it to a gunsmith". Well at least the gun was unloaded. I asked him if I could look at it and he handed me the gun. I just took my left hand and gave the forarm a good firm tap and with my right hand forced the grip down at the same time. I kept the pressure on both parts and then pushed the tange and opened the gun. The guys jaw just dropped. How did you do that? I told him what I did and added all he needs to do is put some grease on the locking points and the hinge points. He was happy as hell that he didn't have a big bill coming.

Sometimes just just something simple.

13. GiesJ

GiesJ Member

Thanks for the input. I've tried the simple stuff with no luck and will take the stock off today with a buddy who is a superb gunsmith. If parts are going to fall out, I'd like him to see it first hand.
    I'll advise as to what happens.
    Tozer - I appreciate everyone has their personal preference. I've always shot my old Remington 3200 well and the Kreighoff Model 32 with a K80 stock is 'my' ideal gun. Combine that with the fact that I can get a 34" unsingle barrel fitted and it is a poor man's K80 combo.

Crossing my fingers this isn't too expensive!
    jason

14. grunt

grunt TS Supporters TS Supporters

Any news?

15. TOOLMAKER 251

TOOLMAKER 251 Active Member

If you do have a broken hammer your not going to replace it without having the tool to release the mainspring tension on the hammers. Plan on shipping or taking it to someone who works on these guns.

16. birdogs

birdogs TS Member

FIRST, MAKE SURE THAT THE GUN IS NOT LOADED!

A friend had a similar problem with 2 loaded shells in the gun. He tried to open the gun after firing the first shell and it wouldn't open. He started to play around with it trying to open it and forgot the second shell was still live. The second shell wouild not fire when the trigger was pulled, so we hit the butt against the ground and on the third or fourth try it went off. He then sent the gun to Ottsville.

17. mallard2

mallard2 Active Member

Broken ejector will also cause the problem. Had a small piece come off my k-80 ejector, jammed and wouldn't open. Off to Krieghoff. Ejectors have to be machined in.

18. GiesJ

GiesJ Member

Ok, forgive me in advance as I am not overly familiar with the internals of the Krieghoff. My smith said it appeared that a previous owner tried to speed up the triggers. The inertia block? had moved and was keeping the gun from opening. He has addressed the problem and also fitted my new (used) unsingle barrel.
    Glad I didn't need to send it out and can start shooting the new barrel.
    Thanks for everyone's input,
    jason

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.