1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.

krieghoff .vs. kolar

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by cgrim9, Jul 16, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cgrim9

cgrim9 TS Member

What do you guys think. Which gun is of higher quality? I know they are both good guns, but kolar is made in the U.S. I also think krieghoffs are way over priced and you're paying for the name when you buy one. I can't justify spending $10000 on a gun. I could buy a used car for that kind of money. I just want to know what you guys think.
  2. Joe Woods

Joe Woods Active Member

Try to shoot trap with a used car.
    Most of us have a shotgun longer than our vehicles.
    They make cheaper guns, Browning , SKB.
    Common sense is good. " BUT "
    When you buy Kolar, you get more than a shotgun
    It likely holds true with Kreighoff as well. Hal Dupont has sold quality guns for many years.

Joe Woods/Ontario
  3. Border Bandit

Border Bandit Active Member

I think the two guns are not that much different in quality and performance; but will give the edge to Kolar, so far as firing pins & spring(s). Service on both is excellent, but here too, I give the edge to Kolar, having first hand knowledge. The big thing in Kolar's favor is their stock fitting, which is second to none. Everyone who has visited Racine for a fitting has come away thrilled with the workmanship, design, and personal service they received; me included. If you buy a new gun from Kolar, you can get a custom fitted stock for $900; which is much less than the price difference you pay for the Kreighoff name ... unless... you decide to trade the farm for a piece of wood...grin

best...mike

[​IMG]
  4. smsnyder

smsnyder Active Member

I agree its hard to beat Kolar PERSONAL service.
  5. goose2

goose2 Active Member

I have owned both and here is my take on them. Kolar is a well made gun but is to heavy and is like swinging a 2x4. I shoot my k 80 much better because of the weight and the balance seems to be spot on. Krieghoff resale is much stronger. Just look on this board, there is more than one kolar on here that has been for sale for quite some time, even after several price reductions. Both are good guns good luck with your decision.
  6. creek

creek Member

I currently own both and shoot the Kolar more often due to better swing and fit. If anyone thinks that the Kolar swings like a 2x4 has a horrible fit problem. Kolar also has the best customer service for sure.
    CREEK
  7. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Active Member

Many trapshooters change guns as often as they change underwear. That said, although Kolar is a fine gun, Krieghoff retains higher resale value and stronger demand. Although nearly every new high end trapgun is currently getting beat up on resale in todays' market it's much easier to sell a used Krieghoff that any Kolar, Ljutic or Seitz!!
  8. 1166

1166 TS Member

I have both guns equaly good guns, kolar max t/a combo new in mar/10 6mths later started having missfires(litely hit primers) called keith s. @kolar he sugested 3or4 things other than short firing pins asked him to ship longer pins to whitch i was charged $45.00 each. Couldn't see any differnce in length, same problen. A good machinest buddy of mine made a new pair much longer to whitch I honed back to just flush with breech wall when retrackted.PROBLEM SOLVED not a missfire since. (PS. NO CHARGE from good buddy)
  9. Stl Flyn

Stl Flyn Active Member

What do you think is better, A Mercedes Benz or a General Motors product?

I know that is unfair. I have owned both, and both are very nice guns. I preferred the Krieghoff over the Kolar for the trigger and weight difference. Kolar has updated there trigger since, and the service for the Kolar is second to none. The Kolar O/U barrels made the gun feel very front heavy to me. The un-single was not to bad for balance.
  10. short shucker

short shucker TS Member

I'd sure like to know why you didn't want to send your gun into Kolar so they could look at it. I'm sure they wanted to see what was going on with it instead of offering a few suggestions over the phone. I've had a few dealings with the good folks at Kolar and I can tell you 100% they were there to fix the problem. I did have to do without my gun for 10 days while they fixed my 90T. I think they charged me a few $$ for shipping and that was it.

Please tell us the full story and not just what you want to recall.

ss
  11. Hal1225

Hal1225 Member

Which gun is of higher quality? I don't know.

Harry
  12. daddiooo

daddiooo Active Member

Here we go again.......

"Kolar will make you a custom fitted stock for $900", try that at Krieghoff and then pay upgrade prices for a piece of their wood that Browning & Beretta puts on their grade one guns.

Kolar...American made

Kolar ...drop out trigger

Kolar .... .750 or .740 bore barrels

Kolar...custom gun at a fraction of the other K gun price.

Kolar ...don't settle for less.

Good luck.
  13. ms_yuan

ms_yuan Member

They're both fine guns, of course, and either will outlast you if cared for properly. You'd be silly not to shoot both and trust the folks here with their strong opinions. Spend some time with each and go with what *your* head and heart says to you. I did, and settled on Kolar, but you might feel differently. Go with either and you'll end up with a fine gun you can pass on to your kids. Personally, I chose Kolar because they could fit me to their gun, and fit was important to me. Jeff Mainland and all of the folks at Kolar were a dream to work with. I'm sure there are similar stories with the Krieghoff folks. Resale of Krieghoff's is generally faster and easier, but I intend to pass my Kolar down to my kids. Shoot both and go with what speaks to you.
  14. Hal1225

Hal1225 Member

If someone wants to donate me the choice between the two. It's a no brainer I take Krieghoff any day and would even chip in the freight and tax!!

Harry
  15. 1166

1166 TS Member

short shucker.I live in canada and it is very difficult for me to ship a gun to the u.s. I have been repairing guns for years.I had diognosed the problem long before I called kolar, also had a problem with left hammer not setting up and had allready fixed that.End of story nothing hidden here.
  16. 1166

1166 TS Member

17. Joe Woods

Joe Woods Active Member

Kolar will be at the Grand American, Sparta,Il.
    I'd make it happen. Kill to birds with one stone !!!

Joe Woods/Ontario
  18. gailmk67

gailmk67 Member

without getting too involved, I had a small dealing with Kolar on sub gauge tube replacement from factory shell damage. The were extremely deceitful with me. Very unhappy extremely shoddy work on the tube replacement. Extremely unhappy! Don't own one of their guns, and never will, affectionately referred to in my realm of shooting friends as a "Milwaukee Mossberg" have seen a few with problems. Bulky, unattractive and a loser on resale. Just my opinion!

Regards, Joe
  19. DENNISMASTROLIA1

DENNISMASTROLIA1 Member

Doesn't the K gun need to be shipped out for service each year for it's annual tune up? If a spring breaks on the K gun during a shoot--you will be unable to continue. May I suggest the Perazzi? I have heard nothing but good things from my friends here that shoot Kolars.
  20. V10

V10 Well-Known Member

No, a "K gun" does not "need to be shipped out for service each year for it's annual tune up."

Krieghoff recommends that their guns to serviced every 25,000 rounds or so. If you shoot that in one year, then your service interval might be annual. If you don't shoot those quantities but every 3 years or so, you probably aren't going to feel the need to have it serviced annually.

I have mine done about every other year. Which is the same interval I used with my Browning.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.