1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Krieghoff - setting POI

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by DaveXT, Aug 19, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DaveXT

DaveXT Member

The manual states to adjust the rib to desired impact the move the comb to match. To me, it seems like I should adjust the comb to create the POI I want then move the rib to the desired sight picture. What has worked best for you?

Thanks
    DaveKX-5

2. V10

V10 Well-Known Member

If you move the front of the rib, you will change the point of impact.

I set my comb to be what feels comfortable, then fine tune the POI with the front of the rib.

I don't care what the beads look like in relation to each other.

3. mallard2

mallard2 Active Member

The comb on a gun does not change the POI. Raise the rib as the instructions say and you will move the POI. Be careful. A little adjustment raises the POI a lot.

4. bluedsteel

bluedsteel Member

V10;

If you don't care what the beads look like in relation to each other, how do you "fine tune" the POI by moving the rib?

bluedsteel

5. kgunron

kgunron Member

You are correct Dave, on the trap specials the rib pivots atop the bbl so moving it does nothing to the POI. On the older k80s the rib actualy bent the bbl.Ron

6. V10

V10 Well-Known Member

Based on the breaks I see. I don't attempt to achieve some "stacked bead" "sight picture" that many people, erroneously, believe is necessary.

And moving the front of the rib on a Trap Special most definitely changes the point of impact.

As does changing the comb height.

7. bluedsteel

bluedsteel Member

V10;

Neither moving the rib nor adjusting the comb moves the point of impact one iota. If you don't believe me, place your gun in a vise, then fire it at a pattern board. Then, while the gun is locked in the vice, move the rib any direction as far as you can, (or remove it completely), and while you are at it, remove the comb completely, and fire the gun again.

Of course, the pattern/POI will be identical on both shots.

The point being, obviously, that what moves the POI is the relationship of the gun to the shooter who is shooting it. When either the comb or the rib are moved, normally, the shooter's eye moves in relationship to the barrel, thus changing the POI.

When you tell me that you move the rib, but you don't care about the relationship of the mid and front bead, then I still don't see how you were able to fine tune/change the POI.

(Please don't place any K80 in the jaws of a vice...but...)

bluedsteel

8. V10

V10 Well-Known Member

Bluedsteel,

You couldn't be more wrong.

And your suggested experiment to prove your incorrect notion is flawed.

9. Psycho

Psycho TS Member

Bluedsteel has one thing right,the shot goes right down the barrel and out the end to the same place everytime,just like a rifle,and when you sight in a rifle you move the sights to look where the barrel shoots,not the barrel.Same thing with a shotgun.

10. cnsane

cnsane Member

Yer'all being confused about the terms point of impact and point of aim. You can erroneously substitute one for the other, but it causes confusion for people who take you literally (blued)and those who "Know what you mean regardless"

11. DTrykow

DTrykow Active Member

Bluedsteel: Your eye is the rear sight. Moving your eye up or down changes the POI. Dave T.

12. g7777777

g7777777 TS Supporters TS Supporters

Listen guys

He is right - moving the rib or the comb doesnt change the barrels point of impact

But

The rib is a sight

So does moving your sight change the strike of a bullet on a barrel is a vise? No it doesnt either

But it does change the POI in ref to the sight--

Same thing here- you want your "sight" to allow you to see the rising target and yet still break it so you adjust accordingly

Now another way to look at this term POI-- you are shooting an artillery piece-where you dont even use optical sights-- you adjust the true POI by moving the tube- up or down- and left or right

Thus the example he tried to use above- a barrel in a vise doesnt actually change POI- you havent moved the "tube" so it cant but what it has changed is what we commonly refer to POI and that is the POI in reference to the sight picture

13. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Alot of bad info above. HMB

14. blackfoot

blackfoot Member

I agree w/ Drew, I have setup my trap special and my unsingle non trap specials the same way. Set comb for setting up your eye/beads and then adjust the rib @ 13 yards for POI, head for the field and start breaking targets- make the final tweeks there,usually 1-2 1/8 bushings up or down on the comb.

The front rib adjustment is very minor- I think 1 notch is 4-6 ins on POI @ 13 yards,so it doesn't take much.

15. g7777777

g7777777 TS Supporters TS Supporters

I agree with blackfoot and Drew btw

Get the "sight picture" you want with the comb and then adjust the rib accordingly

regards from Iowa

Gene

16. goose2

goose2 Well-Known Member

How in the world do you talk sense in some of these people? With some of there comments I am surprised they could even hit half of what they shoot at. I guess they need to learn the hard way. It's not rocket science but some sure make it seem like it is. Good hell, I won the 2011 PITA Idaho state singles championship with a trap special with no beads at all. Go figure

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
adjusting krieghoff rib
adjusting poi krieghoff k80
adjusting point of impact on kregof trap shotgun
change poi on krieghoff shotgun
changing point of aim krieghoff
how to adjust a trap gun point of impact
point of impact rib setting for one eyed shooter

setting up my krieghoff shotguns