1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Krieghoff Question?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by skeet_man, Jul 8, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. skeet_man

skeet_man Well-Known Member

Just had a look, those are Purbaugh tubes.

Price is high considering the tubes (and would still be on the high side if it had kolars or brileys).

Purbaughs were high technology for their day, but the company is long since out of business, and if you crack a chamber, you have to chuck the whole tube in the garbage and buy a single tube from Briley or kolar to replace it.

If I were looking at a gun w/ purbaugh or skeetmaster tubes, I would value it as if it had no tubes. Given that, the price on that gun is at least 2x what it should be.

As a side note, I believe that Krieghoff did experiment with subgauge tubes a little bit (probably nothing that ever made it out of the factory), I seem to remember having read something to that effect in SSR a long time ago.

2. DB Bill

DB Bill Active Member

Krieghoff does, I believe, make barrel inserts that allow you to shoot certain rifle catridges in their O/U shotgun combination guns.

Purbaugh was certainly pioneer in the sub-gauge tube market but putting the ejectors on and off was a pain - they did have a couple of guys who knew how to do choke work. They could move a pattern in any direction you needed and adjust the pattern denisity for you loads --- came in handy for guys who only shot reloads.

3. Rebel Sympathy

Rebel Sympathy Well-Known Member

I doubt if the seller is trying to mislead anybody. He probably saw the gun serial numbers that Purbaugh scribed/stamped on the tubes and thought that indicated "factory".....

Mike

4. David McMillen

David McMillen Well-Known Member

krieghoff has never made sub-gage tube sets. I believe the set is Purbaugh tubes, just what the above poster mentioned. Just don't loose any of the extrators or split a tube, Then you'll have to have either Briley or Kolar make a gauge tube for that barrel.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.