1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Krieghoff & Perazzi, Are they worth it?

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by DTrykow, Aug 21, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DTrykow

DTrykow Active Member

Hi everyone:
    I've been looking to make the leap up into the higher echelon of Trap guns. I own a Citori Plus O/U and have shot it well. I've won some compitions with it, its shoots great. I recently had a chance to shoot a K-80 Trap gun which I did this summer. Beautiful gun, well balanced, awsome trigger. I shot the same as I did with the Citori Plus. Marked difference between the two. But is it worth that $10 to 15K difference in price. I'm not sure. Dave T.

2. code5coupe

code5coupe Member

You'll get some polarized replies to this one. The only thing about a gun that will get you better scores is a better fit.
    That said, pride of ownership is huge. If I felt I could in good conscience spend what it costs for a K- or P-gun, I'd do it....

If you aren't sure it's worth it to you, then it probably isn't.

Code

3. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

The answer to this question is subjective at best, to some people it is and to others it isn't ... Now all you have to do is figure out which catagory you are in ... You will never know unless you personally try it for yourself ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

4. Ahab

Ahab Well-Known Member

If you like it, and can afford it....buy it!

You probably won't shoot higher scores, but will enjoy shooting much more.

Remember, unless something is loose or broken, a shotgun will put the pattern into the same spot every time. It is the Indian, not the arrow! Example, buy an 870 and shoot it, then send it out for elaborate engraving and exhibition wood. Won't shoot any better...but sure will be pretty!

5. DTrykow

DTrykow Active Member

Hi Guys: I guess I'm looking for feedback on workmanship. K guns claim 100,000 tune-ups but they have an annual service program. Why? P guns have a trigger flaw. Whay does an expensive gun need spare triggers. People call Brownings Cheap Jap throw-a-way guns. But alot of people shoot them for along time. I would think Browning Service Dept is pretty equiped to handle what gets thrown at them. Thanks, Dave T.

6. Sixshooter

Sixshooter TS Member

The fact that the best trap shooters, both ATA and International shoot high end guns should tell you something. The guns are designed for many more rounds then the Brownings. They are also more specifically designed for the sport then the Brownings. Remember, Browning hasn't built guns for years. They are a marketing company that looks for markets first, asks gunmakers to quote them prices and then decides to go to market or not. Perazzi and Krieghoff are makers of target guns. They are involved in the sport and work with shooters to develope the guns. Are they worth the extra money? That's up to the shooter to decide. Generally, the highend guns have features that the Brownings don't offer, they are usually likely to far out live the Brownings in targets shot during their liftime, and are better suited to the sport because they are designed for it. Browning starts with a hunting design and adapts it to the sports. Along the way, many comprimises are made to get they gun on the rack.

If the question is affordability, then buy the Browning and enjoy the sport of shooting. If the cost is not an issue, buy the best and enjoy the sport of shooting. Will you shoot better? Likely since you'll feel better about the gun, it will likely be better designed for your sport, and it will likely recoil a bit less.

Mark Zauhar

7. Bob M

Bob M Member

You would think that Browning service would be equipped to handle it, but you will hear some horror stories about their service. I have a K-gun. It fits. It is pretty. It is comfortable. If it breaks, I can take it to Ottsville, about 2.5 hours away, where the factory trained gunsmiths can fix it while I eat lunch or putter around the area. Where I live, that is a great reason to go K-gun.

I shot a Remington 3200 for years before I got the K-80. It broke twice and had to go see Pat Laib. Pat is a great gunsmith, the best 3200 smith out there, but her is a long way from Pennsylvania. It was gone three weeks each time. It was perfectly repaired both times for a very fair price, but the shipping time was agonizing in the middle of the season. Not Pat's fault, just logistics.

The K-gun annual is probably a 'German thing'. Very fussy, careful engineers those Germans. They aren't anal retentive, just very focused on small details at all time... 'We design it to work forever, but bring it in so we can check anyway.'

If you can afford one, try it and see how it works. If the Browning is good for you, great too!

8. JoeBerg

JoeBerg TS Member

To a large extent I think the megabuck gun mentality is a detriment only to those people who think you have to have a high dollar rig to shoot good scores. However, all of the guys I know with K guns used to shoot either Citori Traps or 3200s, and none of them seem inclined to want to revert back to their old guns.

Put another way, there are more guys currently driving a Hyundai, who'd rather be driving a Mercedes, than the other way around. Not that I agree with this mindset, but it is what it is - JoeBerg

9. Klay_Buster

Klay_Buster TS Member

Buy a Kolar and get the best features of all the K guns, P guns and Brownings.
    And it will last you the rest of your life.

10. XTFreak

XTFreak TS Member

Simply stated ... NO !

Currently the dollar is weak against the Italian and German currency and that is passed on to the comsumer. Perazzi has had price increases of $1000 a year for the past 2 or 3 years. The KX5 was $3995 3 years ago and now they are near $5500.

Taking the economics out of it, they are well build guns that show craftsmanship and fine materials but I think they are currently overpriced.
    Take a GOOD look at a new MX2000 .. the finish sucks, the standard wood is very plain, and the bluing could be better. That is not what I would expect in a $7000 shotgun.

Will they make you shoot better ... no.

Stay with your Browning and have fun. The pride of ownership of a hi dollar shotgun wears off real quick the first time you break an 82 with it. Trust me, I know !!!

Good Luck.

11. zzt

zzt Well-Known Member

Well, I don't have the money to throw around. I started with a Browning Superposed, the went to a Beretta Gold E combo, then to a used Perazzi MX-15 with Wilkinson barrel, the to a new Perazzi MX-2000. I jsut made the 2000 into a combo. It was worth the money.

Both K-80s and the current Perazzis are substantially better than the Brownings, Berettas, etc. Demonstrably so. When I decided to dump the Beretta combo I borrowed a lot of guns to shoot. I literally shot everything except a Bruce Bowen. I could have picked up a lot of what I shot for a song, but i always felt best with the Perazzis. They suit me better. If Krieghoffs felt and moved better for me, I'd own one of them. Ditto for Seitz and Lujtic, etc.

I'll tell you the honest truth. I'd very much rather BUY a good used Perazzi, say an MX-3 Special combo than any Beretta (except SO series), Browning, or Caesar Guerini combo that you GAVE me for free.

12. DTrykow

DTrykow Active Member

Thanks guys. I am leaning towards a high-end gun. When I went back to the Browning, after shooting the K-80, the Browning felt like a toy. The balance, or lack there of, was the biggest issue. It was an eye opener. Dave T.

13. phirel

phirel TS Member

P and K guns are well worth the cost if they improve your score. A well fitting BT-99 or Rem. 870 that one shoots well is more valuable than a K-80 that does not fit the shooter. Considering durability, I do believe my K-80 would serve me longer than an 870. But, most parts in an 870 can be changed in less than 5 minutes.

I would suggest that you get a gun that shoots well. Don't get another one unless you find one that you shoot better. The only person who might care about the cost of your gun is you.

Pat Ireland

14. Avaldes

Avaldes Well-Known Member

I was extremely happy with my Beretta 687 trap special, until I picked up a Perazzi. Most of the competitive shooters at my club shoot Perazzi so there is a nice selection to check out. The gun came right up to my face and the balance when I swung was impressive.

I now own an MX2000 RS and couldn't be happier. My wife and dad love to shoot the Beretta and I love to shoot my gun...everybody's happy.

The three things that made the difference for me were:

1.) The Perazzi fit well out of the box and with a few comb and rib adjustments really shoots where I want. My stock has cast off and toe. The length of the grip area fits my hands, since I have larger hands.

2.) The trigger is remarkably crisp compared to the 687.

3.) The gun seems to just swing with less effort.

-Aaron

15. krieghoffkrusher

krieghoffkrusher TS Member

Krieghoff, Kolar, Ljutic - worth the money.

Perazzi - overpriced, flawed trigger, softer metal in receiver, poor blueing.

Those blinded by brand loyalty will disagree.

16. hoggy

hoggy TS Member

Here's my story. It's a short one. Since I bought my K80 Trap Special (at the Washington state grand 3 weeks ago) I've shot 2 98's in competition PITA shoots 1 was in CAPS and won over $3000 in magnums in 2 week ends. I'd definitely say a high end gun made a difference for me. Never won more than a couple hundred before. I could not be happier.

17. Andy44

Andy44 Active Member

Every time I hear someone asking about which gun shoots better, or if the P and K guns are worth their cost, I simply say "It's not WHAT you have to shoot...it's HOW you shoot what you have". If you feel paying for a high-dollar gun helps you shoot better....well, I'm happy for you. Someone hit it pretty close when they mentioned gun fit. If you want to shoot a lot and be the best you can be, your gun better fit regardless of cost!

Andy

18. dverna

dverna Active Member

A total waste of money.

Invest in shells, lessons, and targets.

If you find a nice used K-80 let me know so I can get a spare. I am concerned that mine will fail one day and then what will I do?

Don

19. Beancounter

Beancounter TS Member

"Is it worth" is quite subjective. My wife asked me the same thing and her point of view was that our target shotguns were basically overpriced. If you think about it just a bit you might agree with her. You have a barrel, a receiver, a buttstock and a forend. My old browning is not pretty but it could become pretty for substancially less than ten grand. P guns are good shooters but standard grades certainly are not pretty. Wood is the same stock they make orange crates out of. But if you like em, buy a nice one. I would suggest that you buy a used one.

20. nomderf

nomderf TS Member

Yes my Kolar combo was worth it! Had a KX-5 and it now resides in Winnemucca Nevada.

38-01615

Your target total may vary:)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

perazzi overpriced