1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

KRIEGHOFF KS 5 SPECIAL QUESTION

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Big Dave, Jul 11, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Big Dave

Big Dave Member

Did Krieghoff make two versions of the KS-5 special? I have owned several and they all were the same as a KX-5, engraving, adjustable rib, etc. but had different forend iron. I just bought one that has the adjustable rib, but the receiver is plain and has SPECIAL marked on the bottom. Was this one of the early specials or did someone make their own "SPECIAL"?

Thanks

2. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

There were several appearance variations of the KS-5 - the flat-sided engraved, the flat-sided "logo," the flat-sided Special, the scalloped-sided engraved and the scalloped-sided engraved Special. Specials had adjustable ribs and combs standard; the adjustable comb was an option on non-Specials and both were available with fixed chokes or tubes.

Along the way, there were a few high-grade versions, none of which were made in any quantity. The first was the Scroll Arabesque grade which looked kinda-sorta like a K-80 Super Scroll. There were something in the mid-30s of them made - 36 rings true to me - and at around $5,000, they didn't sell well because a standard grade K-80 unsingle was only about a grand more and a standard grade KS-5 was $2,295. Krieghoff International sold them off at the 1987 (I think) Grand American for under $3,000, depending upon options like adjustable comb and choke tubes, with no Americase. That of course was prior to the Special coming out and one of them was my first Krieghoff - I bought it used in 1990, gave it to my son in 1992 and replaced it with one of the then-new Specials.

There also were a few Barvaria grades made and they were super attractive guns. One was for sale on here about a year ago and I was really tempted. I'm pretty sure that none were Specials. I've heard of but never seen a Suhl grade, so I don't know if any really exist.

The flat-sided receiver was replaced with the scalloped-sided receiver in 1994 and the non-Special was discontinued the following year, I believe.

Ed

3. g36

g36 Member

Does anyone know where I could getsome information on these guns,pictures engraving patterns etc... I bought one rescently and was told that it was a bavarian grade but it has the same engraving as one that has been for sale on this site that was described as Arabesque grade ..

4. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

Although there are websites here and there with good photos of Krieghoffs, my suggestion would be to call or write Krieghoff International in Ottsville, PA.

But a Scroll Arabesque and a Barvaria can easily be differentiated by their engraving patterns. The Scroll Arabesque receiver has a near-100% coverage of fine scroll engraving while the Barvaria grade has deeper, bolder engraving with a more pronounced oval in the center of both sides of the receiver. If you go to Krieghoff's website and look at the Super Scroll and Barvaria grade patterns for the K-80, you'll get the idea. The K-80's SS engraving "lines" are wider than the KS-5 SA, but it's the same style.

Ed

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

when did krieghoff first make ks 5 shotguns