1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Krieghoff, Kolar or Guerini?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Fhil Whiner, Jan 10, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Fhil Whiner

Fhil Whiner TS Member

Thinking of a new shooting tool combo and I'm trying to sort the good points of each. Any advice?

Thanks,

JD

2. flabigpapa

flabigpapa Well-Known Member

You Certainly Have Them in The Right Order....You don't Need any Advice..You Just Need to Decide..Witch One Your going to Pull The Trigger On, Shoot Well..
    Shoot Often, Bart

3. southjblue

southjblue Active Member

K-Gun---There the class---SJB---

4. short shucker

short shucker TS Member

I have had the oppertunity to shoot each one at length that you mention. They all three had very definite dynamics. You'd need to check out all of them at length to find the one best suited for you.

For me, It's hard to beat a Kolar for a pure trap gun. They are weighted well and swing beautifully tward the target. Recoil has always been a no issue since they have a variety of stock designs available as a no cost option.

The best "all- around" gun that I have ever sampled is the new CG Impact. It felt great no matter what discipline I was shooting. it's a little lighter than a pure trap gun is so recoil will be a little more "felt".

Krieghoff's have never really worked for me. Their stock designs suck for what my needs are.

ss

5. chipking

chipking TS Member

Had all 3 still shooting the Caesar Guerini. You can't go wrong with any of those. Your final answer may be different. Good Luck

The Krieghoffs I owned moved well but had the worst most complicated triggers of any gun I ever owned. Many small parts prone to breakage or coming loose. If you go Krieghoff use Ernest Marlette in NC for any work you need.

My Kolar Combo was a great gun and the folks at Kolar were great when my ejector broke and my gun started popping open on firing. The Kolar was the least responsive slowest gun I owned but moved OK for trap doubles.

The CG is the fastest moving gun I have owned. 2 years and about 37 thousand rounds and no problems. Worst issue is that you can zip past birds with your swing until you get used to the responsiveness of the gun.

--- Chip King ---

6. blkcloud

blkcloud Active Member

I picked the CG.. and havent looked back..

7. Mark425

Mark425 TS Member

Same dilemma for me as well. I tried all three. The Krieghoff just didn't fit me right. The Kolar and the CG certainly have different dynamics but I did like both, going back and forth between the two for weeks. In the end I let my pocket book decide. I have GC Impact due to come off the UPS truck this afternoon.

That said... I bough a new gun but if you can find a nice used Kolar they are usually an incredible bargain. Kolars have terrible resale value for some reason unbeknownst to me.

8. porky

porky TS Member

I have Kreighoffs, but I like my Perazzi best. Keighoff's triggers will never be as quick(lock time) or having the trigger asm as well as the whole gun as easy to repair as a Perazzi. Regardless of the flat springs, which make the lock time faster by the way.

9. BIGDON

BIGDON Well-Known Member

Look and see what your better shooters are shooting and it sure as hell isn't CG.

Don

10. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

It appears that you eliminated one of the biggest contenders from your list, is there a reason for that ..? You might want to check put Perazzi just for kicks, you might find something that is more to your liking ... I'm not sure the amount of people shooting Perazzi could all be wrong but then again you never know, you know ..? WPT ... (YAC) ...

11. tcr1146

tcr1146 Well-Known Member

Not entirely true Big Don! For a while, Dr. Longshot was shooting one! Tom Rhoads

12. Chipmaker

Chipmaker Active Member

You got that right Tron the CG is defiantly offended........

13. southjblue

southjblue Active Member

I don't understand the trigger talk about K-guns--I have three and all the triggers are the best for me---All three have Allem release and they are great.
    I also shoot a Broadway,Mdl 12 and Rem 1100---I can't tell the difference---
    I watch Kay Ohye shoot a K-gun and he can shoot anything he wants---The big dogs seem to use P-guns and K-guns most---That should tell something---SJB---

14. short shucker

short shucker TS Member

sjb,

The biggest of the big dogs shoots a Beretta. The rest shoot whatever is given them!

ss

15. southjblue

southjblue Active Member

ss---One Beretta and ???s---Guess CG and Kolar aren't in the giving mode---Bet any of them would like KAY using one of theirs---SJB---

16. dverna

dverna Active Member

SJB makes a valid point. If YOUR job was to shoot trap would you use the best gun for YOU or whatever someone is willing to give you? Does anyone think that getting a "free" gun is a big deal for guys at that level? It is tool to get the job done.

Some (like Leo?) can shoot anything. Most of the guys trying to catch him (and those like him) need every advantage they can get.

And then there are the rest of us who will be "bums" no matter what we shoot. So we shoot what we can afford, or what we think is the best for the money, or; if we have the money, whatever the big dogs shoot. Some of the latter move from one high priced toy to another looking for "the magic".

Jim, shoot as many makes and models as you can and buy what you like. Ask the guys shooting AA scores why they use a particular gun and see if their rationale makes sense to you and your style of shooting. Some people cannot shoot a high rib gun consistently for example. Do you want a drop out trigger? Will you get the annual service done or shoot it till it breaks - and yes K guns break. Which is why I carry a spare receiver.

Don Verna

17. southjblue

southjblue Active Member

Yes---K-guns break but no matter where you may be there is probably a smith that can fix them---Not so with many others---SJB---

18. JACK

JACK Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

Jim is entitled to his list. Preference is personal. The thread suggests that the 3 he mentions are all what we should consider. That we respond with something as superficial as our preferences only makes this thread sillier. I rate these guns equal in target braking ability. But they all have design idiosyncrasies. Understand those and you make your choice thru understanding.

19. Conn. Man

Conn. Man Member

Well,I like S.S.choice,what Leo shoots is a pretty good observation to tell you what works.

Sandy Holehouse.

20. Fhil Whiner

Fhil Whiner TS Member

Thank you everyone. I have always liked and wanted a Krieghoff, but a Kolar seems like a good well built gun and I like them too.

Lately there have been a few K guns (pick a flavor) that have been listed at what I thought were prices of consideration. The K guns are unsingles w/ no adjustment for the O/U barrels for the rib.

Now, along comes CG in close proximity to the K gun pricing, but, with all the tricks and goodies like adjustable ribs on both barrels.

Now I have a problem. I have shot all 3 at one time or another and I can't say that one stands out over the other, thus the reason for my question.

As far as Perazzi goes, I don't like the way the build the combs on thier stock. Too ugly.

And for Beretta, I have always liked the ASE90 and the DT-10, but nobody is selling right now, and they seem to command more money, maybe not.

The 682 series I have seen guys have doubling trouble with some and could never get them fixed, no matter how many times they sent them back, so I have no confidence in them.

I guess it is just my humble opinion, that is why I am looking for some input.

Most people here on TS seem to be pretty upstanding, that is why I ask.

Thanks to all,

JD

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
ceaser guerini vs kreighoff
how offen you need to services a krieghoff shotgun

kolar vs krieghoff

kreighoff vs caeser guerni

krieghoff shotgun break in
krieghoff vs guerini

krieghoff vs kolar