1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Krieghoff K80 Nitrate Finish Question

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by fly, Jul 28, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. fly

fly Active Member

Nickel is still an option. Nitride goes over an unprotected metal finish to prevent rust. You don't polish it, and it holds the same appearance for years. I have a Nitride finish Krieghoff since 2004 and it has require zero maintenance, and looks like day one. Wipe with oil rag and your done,

2. short shucker

short shucker TS Member

They had issues with some of the nickle guns that were engraved and the nitride finish has seemed to eliminate that. The softer look of the nitride also shows off the engraving better than the nickle finish.

As a side note. I think the nitride looks better than the nickle finish. It doesn't make it look like a "Pimp" gun anymore.

ss

3. JLSO5

JLSO5 Member

The nitride finish replaced the old coin finish as it would not hold up. You will find the nickle finish on the standard grades mostly. The upper grade guns will have the nitride, blued, or case colored finish.
    I have had 3 with the nitride finish and never had a problem with any of them.
    What grade gun is it and are you sure K did it in the factory? How old is the gun as it sounds like the old coin finish.

4. JLSO5

JLSO5 Member

The nitride finish replaced the old coin finish as it would not hold up. You will find the nickle finish on the standard grades mostly. The upper grade guns will have the nitride, blued, or case colored finish.
    What grade gun is it and are you sure K did it in the factory? How old is the gun as it sounds like the old coin finish.

5. JLSO5

JLSO5 Member

6. cbxchris

cbxchris Active Member

How durable is the coin finish? I know one will rust without proper maintenance. 3 in 1 oil seems to work best. Jewelers rouge used very very lightly will polish one up but I know that can't be good long term for the finish.

7. JLSO5

JLSO5 Member

I have never heard of polishing up a nitride or coin finish? They should look the same as a natural finish.
    Just wipe after each use with a good oil. The coin, blue, or nitride will need to be refinished after 4 or 5 years if you handle them a lot. I wear the bluing off the top of my rib every 2 years because I hold it when it is over my shoulder with my hand.

8. Baron23

Baron23 Well-Known Member

I think the last question was directed to "coin" finish, on the nitride.

My understanding of classical coin finish, also known sometimes as French grey, is that this is an acid etch to a bare metal surface and you best keep up with them as they will rust. Ken Hurst recommends getting the dirtiest diesel truck oil you can find from a truck stop, dump the metal in that for some period of time (days I believe) then stop the acid in the oil by dumping the part into tidy-bowl (which I believe is a strong base). Old truck oil has, I think, sulfuric acid in it among other crap.

One advantage to nitride finishes over nickel is that you can inlay gold into the nitride while this is difficult to impossible to do with nickel plating.

Cheers

9. craigos

craigos Member

Not sure why folks here think they dont put nickel on high end K guns. I shoot a lot of sporting in the rain in WA state and I will only own nickle, and they are high end guns. I have seen far too many coin and nitride finishes up here in the NW go rusty after shooting in the rain, wiped down and put into a car with the heaters on.

You cant lay gold wire into nickle guns. But then again not all high end guns have gold (I hate yellow gold anyways).

10. JLSO5

JLSO5 Member

You will find very few high end gun makers who use nickel as the other finishes show off the engraving better. I live in the south-east where we usually have plenty of rain and always humidity and I have no problem with coin or nitride. I use Krieghoff oil { Braxton at K told me to use oil over 15 years ago and no rust yet} and take the gun apart when it gets wet just like I do my standard grade nickel.
    The finish is just like the brand of gun one uses everyone likes something.

11. g7777777

g7777777 TS Supporters TS Supporters

No the nitride finish will not need to be redone every 3-5 years? Where do people come up with this stuff?

It will probably never need to be redone with normal wear.

And there is no such thing as a "finish" on a coin- that is the bare metal

Nickle as pointed out by the one poster above is still a great finish-

Gene

12. JLSO5

JLSO5 Member

Gene, I don't know where you are getting your information but nitrate is not bare metal in the white. Call Krieghoff and ask them as they have refinished 2 coin receivers for me because they ware just like a blued gun. You think they just polish them up and send them back? They look like new with the nitrade finish just like a re-blued gun looks.
    I bought a engraved Perazzi which was in the white because they blue or nickel but Krieghoff doesn't.
    Have you ever seen a K gun for sale in the white? Have you ever seen a P gun for sale with a Nitrate finish?

13. JLSO5

JLSO5 Member

Gene, I don't know where you are getting your information but nitrate is not bare metal in the white. Call Krieghoff and ask them as they have refinished 2 coin receivers for me because they ware just like a blued gun. You think they just polish them up and send them back? They look like new with the nitrade finish just like a re-blued gun looks.
    I bought a engraved Perazzi which was in the white because they blue or nickel but Krieghoff doesn't.
    Have you ever seen a K gun for sale in the white? Have you ever seen a P gun for sale with a Nitrate finish?

14. JLSO5

JLSO5 Member

15. g7777777

JLSO5 - read my post again

You said nitride was needed every 3-5 years- it isnt-- it might be good forever

You also confuse coin with nitride- they are not the same- a coin finish gun is bare metal that has been acid etched to give contrast but bare metal

regards from Iowa

Gene

16. GunDr

GunDr Well-Known Member

Nitriding is a heat-treating method. Using different gases will yield different shades of gray. Browning's method is very similar but they polish the metal to a brighter "silver" shine. Because of the composition of the steel's "skin" and being harder, the wear is much better than bluing. If the polishing gets too aggressive, you can polish through the skin and have the softer metal exposed to the elements and what appears as tarnish will show. Nitriding is like case hardening but in a controled atmosphere. Gold can be added prior to the nitriding.

[​IMG]

French gray is an acid-wash. It also leaves the metal gray but unprotected.

[​IMG]

Coin is no finish. The metal generally has some type of clear-coat to protect it.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Bluing..self explanatory

[​IMG]

Color Case Hardening

[​IMG]

Nickel Plating...

[​IMG]

Titanium Nitriding (TiN coating)

[​IMG]

17. g7777777

I agree with Gun Dr-- Except- french grey and coin are generally considered the same

Regards from Iowa

Gene

PS- it is a nitride finish - not nitrate for the people that used that term

18. GunDr

GunDr Well-Known Member

Gene,

What would you call the finish on the Perazzi and Kolar Gun above? There is now finish on those guns except a clear-coat.

Aren't coins silver in color and not grey? Kolar calls this "coin".

doug

19. g7777777

Good question- and I guess it depends- about coins and greys-

Some manufacturers call it the same finish

Regards from Iowa

Gene

20. g7777777

Nothing

If you dont polish on it- you need no mait except maybe a light coat of oil

Regards from Iowa