1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Krieghoff experts.

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Dougbbbb, May 18, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dougbbbb

Dougbbbb TS Supporters TS Supporters

Ok you buy a used Unsingle for you're k80. It fits on like it was made for the receiver. The forearm fits on (no forcing) snug. no rubbing anywhere opens and closes tight. Do you wait and take it to Ottsville or do you shoot it??

2. David McMillen

David McMillen Well-Known Member

From what you discribed, I would shoot it.

3. Twinbirds

Twinbirds TS Member

as long as the ejectors are timed correctly, I'd shoot it.

4. g7777777

g7777777 TS Supporters TS Supporters

Well you arent going to put two shells in the chamber of an unsingle so you can disregard that advice

Now I would pull back the top latch and look visibly at the headspace

Regards from Iowa

Gene

5. willing

willing Member

Could someone explain how headspace effects a shotgun. I just don't understand.

Bill

6. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Headspace is how the shell fits in the chamber of the shotgun. A shotgun shell headspaces on the rim of the shell. If cut too deep the firing pin will not be able to reach the primer. If cut too shallow the gun will not close. HMB

7. g7777777

g7777777 TS Supporters TS Supporters

In a higher quality fixed breach shotgun like a single barrel or an O/U my guess is that a good definition for headspace might be: headspace is the clearance allowed between the base of the cartridge case and the face of the receiver

From a pure laymans (mine) perspective:

Now there has to be just enough space for the gun to close but if you have too much space - imagine this- the shell during firing will set back.

During set back the portion of the shell that is unsupported by the chamber will have pressure on it. Too great of space- too much of the shell rim or shell is unsupported

Shell gives way and bad things happen

Or shell doesnt give way but on each firing it is slammed (with velocity) against the breach face creating a different form of stress- again bad things will happen as a result of this dynamic as opposed to a more static loading

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.