1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Krieghoff, difference between scroll and logo?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by gyrine, Feb 9, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gyrine

gyrine TS Member

I am trying to learn something about Krieghoff K80's. I see reference to scroll and logo models. Other than the obvious, what is the difference, is one newer than the other? Anything else I should be aware of? Thanks, Rich

2. Barrelbulge(Fl)

Barrelbulge(Fl) Banned User Banned TS Supporters

Scroll newer pattern.

[​IMG]

Logo is original K-80 style.

[​IMG]

3. southjblue

southjblue Active Member

The scroll is the later mdl---I know guys who have both---They are equal in my opinion---The logo may need some upgrades----Scroll has more value---They are great guns and great to shoot----JMO---SJB

4. Diamond Bruce

Diamond Bruce Member

Both can be rebuilt and refinished to shoot and look great. src='/uploads/bullettheturtle_2010_2304236.jpg'>

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. g7777777

g7777777 TS Supporters TS Supporters

Way to complicated to generalize- you aren't going to figure it out in a few words

Regards from Iowa

Gene

6. gyrine

gyrine TS Member

Thanks guys, just wanted a general idea. Rich

7. Gapper

Gapper TS Member

They made scroll models very early (around s/n 13,000) along side the logo models; and there are many variations of each. K80 production begins (*edit- around*) s/n 12,000. I believe most (majority?) of very early scroll guns were of skeet configuration.

The scroll engraving itself has undergone many changes, some of which are very subtle - but a trained eye will allow dating of a receiver within a production run of a few years - maybe even closer.

The logo type is generally the considered the base model, although through later years there have been special runs of it such as black finish offered very recently.

It would help if the company would publish a layman's guide for identification purposes, but they do not even like dating by serial number, it would seem. GAP

8. g7777777

Actually there were some K80s pre 12,000-- I have owned two

The variables are all what makes it hard to determine value

Gene

9. Gapper

Gapper TS Member

I didn't know they were made with that early of a number, Gene.

What's the earliest s/n K80 you've seen or heard of? GAP

10. Phillip's Gunsmithing

Phillip's Gunsmithing Member

If you call me I will tell you what they have changed between the two different receivers.

Phillip Crenwelge 210-313-5988

11. Rebel Sympathy

Rebel Sympathy Well-Known Member

Dieter Krieghoff told me at last year's NRA convention in St. Louis that the very first K-80 guns came out about 11400 - 11800. Apparently it was sporadic. Then, just last week, Braxton Newman at KI told me the early "K-80 logo" guns were for trap and the early scroll guns were for skeet. I had never known that before. If true, then Hal du Pont must have made a lot of swaps between trap and skeet early K-80's. Nothing wrong with that; just part of the history of the early K-80. Facts is facts, as they say....

The last frames marked "Model 32" were actually early K-80 guns; And the very first frames marked "K-80" were more model 32 than K-80 as we know them today. Apparently it was quite a lengthy transition from one model to the other. I have a friend who owns a model 32 with serial number 117XX and it sure looks like a K-80 to me - all the way - except for lacking the relief cut on the bottom of the receiver for the forend iron clearance when the gun is opened up. I suspect the primary difference in model designation had to do with that more than anything else. Mike

12. g7777777

Actually I had a K80 like 11997

Gene

13. Rebel Sympathy

Rebel Sympathy Well-Known Member

Well, there you go..... You see what Gene is saying? That is exactly what I am posting about - a long transition from one model to another.

Mike

14. B.C.

B.C. Member

Braxton has it right! B.C.

Also the they actually had marked the receiver Trap 80

15. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Banned User Banned TS Supporters

I sold a Trap 80 many years ago while working for Huntings Gun Shop-the K-80 importer in the early 80's!!

16. Sky Buster

Sky Buster Sky Buster TS Supporters

I thought there were signicant improvements after app. serial
    number 20,800. Sear return springs were up-graded, changes to the
    hammer, heavier axle and ejector improvements were just some of
    the up-grades.

17. g7777777

Actually my one early K80 had K80 on the bottom and fancy engraving and DID NOT have the relief cut on the bottom of the receiver--- it was a gun brought in by a gunsmith to this country

Regards from Iowa

Gene

18. Dr.Longshot

Dr.Longshot Banned Banned

My personal opinion is the Scroll model above ser#s 123,000 have all updated internals, there were 4 different hammer styles, the ser# that starts with 01 is the model built in 2001, an 02 is a 2002 model.

Kreighoff has done a lot of updates internally to fix past problems.

Most Bbls for K-80s will swap w/o being or needing fitting, I have owned several but personally I avoid the Bland Looking Logo models.

One difference is on the hammers, later ones have a shoulder for the release triggers, Hooks latch onto the shoulders, some of the bad osnes had a slope on them and it depended where the release hooks engaged the hammer that caused the release triggers to change on set and release points.

You want to avoid the K80-RT models if you shoot a release as Kreighoff will not service them, they will make it a pull trigger. This release was a thorn in the side of Kreighoff to put it mildly.

Gary Bryant
    Dr.longshot

19. the old guy

the old guy TS Member

I'm certain the "K" in K80 stands for Kaye Ohye who won some major championship in 1980. Dieter, Mel Hunting and Kaye spent lots of time at the Chapel Hill Gun Club in NJ in the late 70's/early 80's. I don't know if the gun was first introduced there or at the Grand. Kaye and Debbie held many of their clinics there as well. I saw Kaye run 25 straight there on bunker trap with his K80 unsingle. As is his style, he did it when very few people were around.

20. PSA #33

PSA #33 Member

I SECOND THAT, but lets spell his name right. Kay Ohye.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

braxton newman guns texas

braxton newman krieghoff

how old are the krieghoff k-80 logo guns

how old is my krieghoff k-80

krieghoff k80 1980

krieghoff k80 base model