1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Krieghoff choke tubes Steel vs titianium

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by KEYBEAR, Mar 22, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. KEYBEAR

KEYBEAR Active Member

The big difference is PRICE

2. Tom Strunk

Tom Strunk Well-Known Member

Weight is the only difference, other than price. You might save a couple of ounces at the very end of the barrel(s).

Tom Strunk

3. g7777777

g7777777 TS Supporters TS Supporters

save a couple of onces? what is the weight difference? the titaniums are extended

4. Tom Strunk

Tom Strunk Well-Known Member

GN7777777 -

The standard chokes are extended the same amount and look the same, except for a slight difference in color. The only difference in the two different chokes is the material they are made of. My K-80 Trap Special has barrels without screw in chokes, you can get this gun either with or without screw in chokes. The Titanium chokes are an extra cost (mucho dinero) option.

Tom Strunk

5. skeet_man

skeet_man Well-Known Member

All things being equal, titanium is 57.4% the weight of steel. I would hazard a guess that the titanium chokes are @ close to 1/2" longer than the steel chokes (the steel ones extendeding about 1/4", and the titanium ones extending 3/4"

Steel choke:
    [​IMG]

Titanium Choke:
    [​IMG]

I'd bet if you threw a steel choke and a titanium choke on a scale, you'd be surprised at how little the difference is. As a comparison, I have 2 angleport kolar chokes here, which are considerably longer than krieghoff chokes, and they only weigh 1.5oz for the pair. I'd guess the diff b/w a pair of steel chokes and titanium chokes (of the same constriction) would be an ounce or less.

6. Chango2

Chango2 Active Member

But the titanium chokes look so cool. However, they won't pick up that barrel rest thing with a magnet in it. Krieghoff should make their chokes out of "unobtanium" sourced at Porsche R&D.

7. coot sluicer

coot sluicer Member

I think Krieghoff knew they were missing a large portion of the choke tube market. Krieghoff knew that skeet shooters probably never change their choke tubes and that only some trap shooters use a different choke for singles than handicap in their single barrel while their doubles barrel remain unchanged for years. So why mess with highend choke tubes? Sporting Clays.I think Krieghoff noticed these Sporting Clays guys carrying two chokes of each constriction and changing chokes at every station, both barrels, ten plus stations a day. Thus, krieghoff marketed their Titanium choke, the blueing doesn't wear off, they don't rust, you don't need your reading glasses to see their markings, they're a little longer and machined for easy hand tighting, and being lighter than steel chokes they're nicer to carry in your pocket or shell bag (probably not noticeable unless your packing ten or more).

I don't know if the titaniums pattern any better than the steel chokes, but they do add a little bling to the front of a Krieghoff. Sort of like having a little diamond on the face of a Rolex.

FYI a titanium Krieghoff #2 choke tube weighs 293.7 grains or .671 of a ounce.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
krieghoff choke constrictions

krieghoff choke tubes

krieghoff chokes

krieghoff chokes for sale
krieghoff shotgun chokes for sale
krieghoff titanium choke tubes

krieghoff titanium chokes for sale

titanium chokes vs steel