1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

kreighoff hinge wear?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by billyboy07208, May 8, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. billyboy07208

billyboy07208 Member

I dont own a K gun yet,but is it normal for the gun to have slop between the reciever and barrel when open at the hinge/trunnion?
    a couple ive examined were tight when closed with the proper gap in the top wedge and seemed to have a lot of life left [3/32" gap],but just fall right open.

tia

wc

2. sterlingworth

sterlingworth Active Member

Pretty much,I have two and they open easy,the part that really wears seems to be the top block that closes over the barrels

3. billyboy07208

billyboy07208 Member

Ahh thanks,so this may facilitate swapping barrels without fitting maybe?

4. eightbore

eightbore Well-Known Member

My Krieghoffs are all tight when open and closed. If there is slop at the trunnions, either the barrels are probably from another gun or the gun has been shot a lot. Don't buy a gun that is sloppy at the breech, either open or closed.

5. K-GUNS

K-GUNS Member

Every time I get my annual service it comes back tight as new. After shooting a few thousand rounds it get loose again. I'm guessing at service they install a larger size as they wear at the hinge they have screw heads and seem easy to change out to a few thousands larger in seconds.Never have I seen this done jut assume it happens .

6. K-GUNS

K-GUNS Member

where's ole olliedawg when u need him.........he should know this.

7. B.C.

B.C. Member

not common for the the top Latch to wear ,

usually its the ears on the Barrels

Hope this helps ! B.C.

8. Rebel Sympathy

Rebel Sympathy Well-Known Member

The wonderful thing about a "Kriggy" is that everything that wears can be replaced. Usually when one has been shot to heck the factory will weld up the barrel shoulders and file them to fit the sliding hood. In the old days Europa Corp. would put on an oversized hood but they quickly learned this wrecked the interchangeability of barrels. So, KI went to the method of welding up the barrel shoulders back to spec to correct the wear. The sliding hood is hardened and it does not wear much, if at all, anyway. Of course, the gun barrel ears look like the devil unless you have them reblued.....

The other factor with "looseness" is that the gun could still be off-face, even after barrel shoulder weld/repair. To correct this, KI (how shall I say?)"spot faces" the screw slots (trunion pockets) on each side of the barrel and solders in a new "sleeve". They then machine the sleeve to get the correct barrel-to-receiver fit, thus eliminating the gap between barrel breech and the standing breech. This can be done over and over, as can the barrel shoulder build-up. So, the gun can be kept in spec for who knows how long..... By the time you have KI weld the barrel shoulders, sleeve the trunion slots and reblue the barrels, you will have spent about $600 per barrel.

This isn't cheap, but it is a lot cheaper than buying a new gun. However, it makes me cautious about buying used barrels on the internet without knowing how much they are worn.....

On an extremely worn gun the fore-end iron may need snugging. KI has a method for taking care of that also. I have never needed it, however.

I had a 4-barrel 32 Crown done last year and I must say, I could not be more pleased. It is both tight and beautiful. And, KI does a beautiful job with polishing the barrels before rebluing. They were extremely careful to avoid overpolishing the lettering on the sides of the barrels, a tell-tale sign of refinishing. On the contrary, if I did not know for a fact, I would never know my barrels had been reblued. The lettering is very sharp and crisp; the bluing finish is a perfect shade; the Crown grade looks like it did when new.

Mike Durhan

9. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Banned User Banned TS Supporters

Alright, top latches are extremely hard and are designed so the barrel lugs wear first. A little welding and refitting easily fixes that problem. Headspace issues can be repaired by replacing the hinge screws with an oversize one-just don't expect to slap on any old barrel afterwords and expect it to fit!!

10. Pride Engineer

Pride Engineer Member

My second Krieghoff had 175,000 rounds through it and it was still tight. KI told me the cocking rods were starting to wear short and would have to be replaced eventually. Sounds to me like the barrel on the gun in question was never fit correctly.

Mark Zauhar

11. Mapper

Mapper Member

I believe I still have a set of oversize trunnions(#1s) and an oversize top latch.
    Never needed them. I still have a 32 so I'm keeping them, but probably will never need them.

12. skeeter1956

skeeter1956 Member

my model 32 is 40 years old and does about 15thousand rounds a year. in all that time it never had a proper service just an annual wash out with petrol and a spray of lubricant. the only breakdown it has ever had was a broken cocking rod [last week] mightened be the prettiest gun in the world but one of the toughest i recon. cheers from australia des

13. eightbore

I have seen the Krieghoff gunsmiths do the job on the trunnion slots. It is wonderful gunsmithing. However it should never have to be done on a gun with its original barrels. A person who does not want to go to the expense of the sleeving and remachining of the trunnion slots can get the same result by putting more pressure on the forend by shimming the rear of the forend lug. The result is a few thousandths of additional headspace and a tight gun. Krieghoff gunsmiths do not seem to be too concerned about this added headspace. This two dollar solution sure beats the $600 sleeving of the trunnion slots.

14. g7777777

g7777777 TS Supporters TS Supporters

Dont use oversize top latches and dont use oversize hinge pins if you plan on using other barrels (without fitting)although is is pretty easy to fit other barrels to such an action

Good description above by Mr. Durham

Regards from Iowa

Gene

15. Rebel Sympathy

As KI explained to me, in so many words, the oversized trunions are the cheaper fix - the better fix being having the pockets/slots built back to original spec.

As far as someone's comment of not needing the pockets rebuilt with use of only original barrels.... well, the way I've seen some owners slam their guns closed, I'm not surprised they need rebuilding - original barrels or not. My 4-barrel set is all original with matching numbered, proof-dated and graded original barrels, a factory 4-barrel set validated by KI. It was used long and hard. I rescued it from a state of distress. It needed the pockets rebuilt. Mike Durhan

16. eightbore

Mike, if you are the gentleman who did the excellent restoration on the Jaqua's Crown Grade, I remember that gun to be rather badly abused. In such a case, rebuilding the trunnion pockets may be the way to go, but rather pricey on a standard grade four barrel set. I have shot a K-32 for 20 years that was tightened by shimming the forend lug, resulting in a few thousandths of excess headspace. This two dollar fix has worked without problems for that twenty years and the gun is still tight.

17. Rebel Sympathy

eightbore: I am that man who bought the Jaqua's Crown - and you are right; you can put way too much $ into a standard grade 4-barrel set, i.e., much more than it is worth for sure. But, if it is a standard grade you have owned for years and years and you really love it, sometimes it becomes a matter of the heart..... To each his own. Mike

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

hinge pin k32 krieghoff

kreighoff gun smiths

krieghoff 32 loose

krieghoff barrel hinge pockets

krieghoff hinge pins