1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Kolar vs Perazzi Reliability @ @ @ @ @ @ @

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Otter, Feb 11, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Otter

Otter TS Member

I currently shoot a Perazzi MX2000RS and have replaced 2 bottom barrel trigger springs and on firing pin in the last 12 months. Granted I shoot ALOT but having to work on the gun this much reminds me of my sailing experience. For every day at sea I spent at least 1 hour making some sort of repairs.

Those of you that shoot a Kolar alot (over 10,000 rounds per year) what has been your repair history. Any problems peculiar to Kolar guns I should know.

As you can tell I am seriously considering moving to Kolar at the end of this season.

Thanks,

Luxor

2. miketmx

miketmx Well-Known Member

I have a good friend (you know him) and he registers over 40,000 targets per year with his MX gun. He uses a Precision trigger and replaces hammer springs when necessary. He doesn't have much trouble other than that. I don't know anything about Kolar but I believe they are heavier on average compared to a P gun.

3. Trapshooter

Trapshooter Well-Known Member

luxor, I used to shoot the same springs till they broke. That ended up going 75,000 to 90,000 before a spring broke. Now I just change your springs every year and forget about it. Todd

4. claybrdr

claybrdr Well-Known Member

I know lots of people talk about broken parts in their P-Guns but, knock on wood, I have at least 80,000 rounds thru 4 guns with zero breakage. I have always had Giacomo do periodic services on them whenever I have caught up with him at a Pigeon shoot or elsewhere so that has helped I'm sure.

I never had anything break on my K-80s either so maybe I'm charmed on OU breakage. Of course, I had a ton of stuff screw up on the various Beretta/Browning autos over the years so maybe it balances out.

5. melf

melf TS Member

Luxor
    I shoot a Kolar I bought it 4/8/02, I had trouble with the release triggers
    from the start , but Kolar fixed them right away .

I shoot more then 10000 a year and have not had any trouble at all , If I had
    to buy another gun I would buy a Kolar .

If you are thinking of buying one I would go to the factory and have it
    custom fit for you , I had mine coustom fit and it was wourth the trip
    to Racine Wisconsin I have never had any regrets .

Art

6. Bocephas

Bocephas Well-Known Member

Luxor, I shoot a Kolar no problems so far.
    As for rounds shot,I don't know.
    Maybe 40,000 or 50,000 no trouble so far.
    I have some friends that shoot P-guns that go thru at least one to two leaf springs a year. You know what I would still like to have one.
    I will no doubt have one someday.

Bo

7. VAMiket

VAMiket Member

I have owned four (4) Kolars, had problems with all four. Gun #1 chokes were not cut coencentric to the bore (per Kolar), resulting in the top choke tube being launched down range (sold). Gun # 2, trigger problems (sold). Gun #3, trigger and top lever problems (sold). Gun #4, trigger problems (sold). All problems developed within the first 1500 targets shot. Kolar repaired all four guns, however, these problems should not be so prevelant. Shot a K80 Trap Special, and I am buying a K80 Trap Special.
    Second rate guns + first rate prices = Kolar.

8. Pull & Mark

Pull & Mark Well-Known Member

I always heard that Kolar's were the best.As a few of the K-80's had barrels blow up for no reason. The P guns with firing pins and springs flying around like targets. Now I heard that the Kolar's aren't the best anymore. I guess I'll just have to shot the barrel off of my BT-100. That should only take 30-40 years. By then I will have to stop shooting because of old age. Jeff

9. Doubles Xpert

Doubles Xpert Member

Luxor

I have shot well over 100,000 rounds through my Perazzi I have also had it sent back to the factory twice for various repairs that was in addition to the fourteen Leaf springs some that broke with in three weeks after getting them... I call Perazzi about it too ... Yeah too bad! was the answer I got from Perazzi... They would not stand behind for their product.. I also had to change out one trigger guard (broke) One complete trigger (broke) (From regular Pulling not dropping) One Locking lug (Wore out) one ejector spring (broken) and one ejector slide bar (Wore out) also it started popping open... so I had to buy a retro fit stronger locking Spring. Still I really liked the gun, I didn’t want anyone telling me that they are crap. Last year I bought a new Kolar Combo, Flew back and seen Jeff at the Kolar factory.. Best move I have made since I started trap... I'm already well over 7000 targets into the new Kolar gun and have broken better scores than all the years I shot the Perazzi.. Not that the Perazzi shot bad... it didn’t fit... If your a normal size guy that can pick up any gun and shoot it well... Great Buy the Perazzi and plan to do maintenance on it.. or spend the money for a Kolar have a gun that fits you and plan on shooting a lot with no break downs... Either way both guns have their strong points.. Perazzi lighter faster, Kolar smoother better patterns and less kick. (my Experience)

10. bobby ward

bobby ward Member

luxor,

My experience with Kolar is considerable. I have a trap combo set that I have owned for 7 1/2 years now and a sporting clays gun that I have owned and shot for the past 4 years. I owned two Perazzis and 4 different Krieghoffs before that and wouldn't return to either on a bet.

You asked about Perazzi, so here is what I found. I owned a MX3 Special combo set which is a drop out trigger design that had the leaf or "v" springs talked about here. I had that gun for 2 years and replaced these springs 7 times in 2 years. The last ones I bought were $68 each plus installation. One attempt and running a pair of needle nosed pliars in the palm of my hand was enough. I loved the gun, shot it well and thought it handled beautifully but in addition to the leaf springs it required total rebuilding after one season to the tune of over $800. In addition, not every gun club you go to has the springs on hand at all times.

My Kolars have performed flawlessly for me. Not one incident of trigger or any other trouble other than I had the release triggers adjusted for speed after the 3d season shooting the gun. (trap combo here) I have yet to do a single thing to the sporting clays gun other than clean it and shoot it in the 4 years I have owned it.

Krieghoff and Perazzi make fine shotguns. Some of the best as far as performers go. Anything mechanical can break or malfunction. What is most important is the response to the problem and Kolar is second to none as far as service goes and incidence of repair needed. Most every case is handled at no charge and the speed of turnaround is world class. Every Kolar comes factory standard with features every shooter wants but which you must pay for with Krieghoff or Perazzi. End result is that you can spend more buy you cannot possibly buy more than what you get with Kolar.

Best of luck in your decision. If you need help at any time, email me directly and I'll do whatever I can to help you out. If we are not too far apart you are welcome to see and shoot my Kolars anytime you wish.

Take Care!

Bobby

11. Donm

Donm Active Member

I have owned Kolars for over 7 years now and had a pull trigger and now a release. I shoot about 12k a year. Only problem I have is it still gets dirty when I shoot it. I have talked to Jeff at Kolar and he said it is a problem they are working on and come and see him next year. Also have asked for a electric comb warmer for winter shooting here in Wisconsin and they are working on that too. There is also a reloading option that I paid for that I haven't recieved as of yet. But other than those problems nothing has ever broke or worn out that I know of. I give it to Jerry Tesch every couple of years to have him go over it but that is it. Best gun I have ever owned.

Don Mittag

12. Kolar Dan

Kolar Dan Member

I've oened mine since 04/2002. It has never given me any trouble other than having to clean it.
    Sonny

13. Trap2

Trap2 Well-Known Member

Lux..... As you can tell from the responses, everyone has their own opinions on which is better, and why they think so. I can only add my own experience and you will still have to decide for yourself which way you want to go. I have shot just about all the name brand trap guns out there, and most for at least a year to give them a fair shake. The one gun I have not owned is a Kolar, mainly because after shooting one to see if I wanted to buy one, it felt slow and sluggish to me and just didn't feel right from the very start so I decided to pass on buying one. I do know several Kolar owners, and, other than some trigger problems, particularly with release triggers, they experienced, the guns seem to be very reliable. That being said, I shoot an early model Perazzi DB-81 Combo that has never experienced a trigger problem other than 1 broken leaf spring in over 2 years. Prior to that, I owned a MX-15 Combo. Shot it for almost 3 years and never broke anything. Prior to that, another DB-81 Combo. No broken parts with it in over a year. Prior to that, I shot a MX-3 Combo for almost 3 years and never broke a part with it either. Last, but not least, a TMX that broke a trigger guard right after I bought it, other than that, no breakage. Now, I shoot about 7,000 registered targets per year and probably twice that amount in practice, fun shoots, etc. I think that one leaf spring and one trigger guard in over 8 years, in 5 different Perazzi guns is hardly a maintainance problem, wouldn't you agree? I shoot a Precision double relase trigger, set up for me by Jim Coons, the owner of AC Machine that makes the triggers, and I replace my leaf springs once a year right at the beginning of the season. Total cost for the springs? $38.00 PER PAIR, on ebay. Yes, these are original Perazzi springs with Perazzi written on the side of the springs. So, in closing, I would remind you of this: If the Perazzi fits you and you shoot it well, keep it. If not, try a Kolar and see if it's the gun for you. Every trap gun that gets the kind of use our guns do will have a part that will fail eventually. For my money, I'll stay with my Perazzi DB-81.........Just my experience........Dan Thome (Trap2)

14. willing

willing Member

MIA
    Diving and wiping the bottum every week or 2 was not a labor of love.

Bill

15. BIGDON

BIGDON Well-Known Member

I have owned them both. Take the Kolar - best by far.

Don

16. B.A.R. Tillamook O.R.

B.A.R. Tillamook O.R. TS Member

Almost every olympic champion that stands on the podium shoots a perazzi. hmmmm
    Brett

17. bobby ward

bobby ward Member

jcl & B.A.R.

When I saw Leo Harrison III the first time ever, he was shooting a Remington 1100 and kicking just about everyones butt. Kay Ohye shoots a K80 and does as well or better than anyone you can name. For Ray Stafford it is Perazzi. I would suggest to you sir that once you "reach" a certain level of proficiency that the old standard applies. "It is not necessarily the car as much as it is the driver" that really counts. I wonder how many of those Olympic champions and ATA champions you talk about, receive sponsorship? Leo now shoots Beretta and shoots it well, but he doesn't wear Beretta T shirts and appear in their adds because he lkes the shirt.... For the Average Joe without any sponsorship considerations or unlimited personal funding, we cannot possibly shoot enough targets to get to that level.

Perazzi and Krieghoff make very fine shotguns to be sure. I have owned both and now choose to own and shoot Kolar. As the author of the thread asked, which is most reliable and as Dan Thome says, the beauty or in the case the reliability is in the eye and hands of the user. My Kolars have been the most reliable of all guns I have owned. They are substantially cheaper than K80 and I think the counterpart Perazzi's. They are so because they come with factory standard features that you must pay extra for to get with the others. And when and IF something does go wrong with a Kolar it is handled quickly and professionally and most times at no charge to the owner. Finally, I like the thought of owning and shooting a gun made and backed in America by American craftsmen. Your mileage may vary......

18. erm

erm Member

Lux, I've shot p-guns of varying vintages and for the last year have shot a kolar. I have noticed that he life of perazzi v-springs is a crap shoot. I've had some that lasted years and a few that lasted just a couple of months. The ones that lasted the longest just lost tension over time and were replaced before they broke (if they were ever going to). Coil springs don't have a bend under constant stress like the bend in a v-spring. Coil springs do lose some tension over time as well but you can choose when to change them. Not be forced to when they break while you are shooting. The trigger pull on my Kolar is far better than any factory p-gun trigger I've owned. The feature I like about the Kolar trigger is that its got a screw holding it in. A quick slip of the locking slide on the p-gun and its gone. I hope this helps. Aloha!
    Elton

19. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

I would strongly suggest shooting any gun that you think you might like and take it from there ... The reason they make so many different guns is there are so many different opinions, same thing with vehicles ...Most of the Top shooters have shot Perazzi and have for years, but now there are a few crossing over and going to Kreigoff for whatever reason they find to make it appealing to them ... I have shot a Kreigoff and owned more than one Perazzi because I like them and they appeal to me ... I also have been know to shoot a Winchester Model 12, and if I had to make a choice of all of them and had to live with it, I'd pick the Model 12 and suffer ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

20. B.A.R. Tillamook O.R.

B.A.R. Tillamook O.R. TS Member

About all the leaf spring perazzi problems you can buy them with coil springs now. Ward, Almost no american trapshooters are sponsored by perazzi, And Perazzi does sponsor but do you think these top notch shooters would take it and shoot it if it wasn't a top notch gun? Brett Richardson

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
kolar arms review
kolar gun reviews
kolar shotgun review

kolar shotgun reviews

kolar shotguns

kolar shotguns review

kolar vs perazzi
perazzi vs kolar