1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Kolar v Ljutic

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by mrd, Aug 19, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mrd

mrd Member

Does anyone have an opinion as to the comparison between a single barrel Kolar and Ljutic? I am looking at both.

2. erm

erm Member

mrd, i have shot a mono gun and a kolar t/c for some time. the mono-gun a little tricky to open if your shoot a release and the hook is set on a live round. aside from that it would be a toss up as to which you found fit you better. erm

3. JACK

JACK Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

Kolar losses less of it's value. Most Ljutics over 3 grand languish.

4. sliverbulletexpress

sliverbulletexpress TS Member

Porsche Cayenne vs International Scout.

5. JACK

JACK Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

That's cute SBX

6. phirel

phirel TS Member

Both are fine guns. I would buy which ever one I shot the best.

Pat Ireland

7. Don Steele

Don Steele Well-Known Member

Like Pat said...
    BOTH are excellent shotguns with fine reputations for reliability and success.
    Having been fortunate enough to be able to own and shoot just about every one of the "high-end" options, my personal choice has been Ljutic for over 20 yrs.
    There are a lot of reasonably priced pre-owned Ljutics available. Find one that fits you, and suits the way you shoot. Buy it, and you'll be off the gun market for as long as you want to be. Kolars do seem to hold their value on the used gun market, so if you're more of a "buy-and-sell gun trader"...buy a Kolar enjoy it for awhile, then move on.

8. sliverbulletexpress

sliverbulletexpress TS Member

Thanks MIA glad someone appreciates my sense of taste, I mean humor. LOL Having owned all 4 I think I'm pretty close.

9. Jon Reitz

Jon Reitz Well-Known Member

I can add this. Kolar is American made and provides the very best service in the industry. I have never seen a company that takes customer service & support as seriously as these guys. I cannot speak for Ljutic.

10. Hauxfan

Hauxfan Well-Known Member

Jon Reitz, if you can't speak for the American made Ljutic, then I will.

Having owned and shot both, I ended up with a Ljutic. Don't plan on changing anytime soon.........unless it's to another Ljutic.

Don't plan on ever owning another Kolar..........ever!

Hauxfan!

11. Dr.Longshot

Dr.Longshot Banned Banned

Ljutic is 100% American made, as well as the Kolar.

My opinion is the Kolar is a heavier gun, if you can handle the weight OK.

Ljutic is lighter, they have been around longer, I agree w/ the release on a live round as well is the Kolar on a live round, the Kolar is easier to open with the top lever.

I shoot a lot of buddies and the Ljutic takes a lot more concentration on opening when your buddy breaks his target. The Ljutic release button is in front of the trigger gaurd.

This also applies to Seitz gun w/release trigger and Alferman, the trigger gaurd is the opening mechanism.

But shooting registered w/release on any of these guns it is not much of a problem.

You can get used Ljutics w/mid-rib around $2500 up and Kolar T/S which is the Ljutic comparable used for $3500 up

Both new are priced about the same, but newer used Ljutics about the same price as the used T/S Kolars.

Again this is my opinion and pricing as I have seen them.

Gary Bryant
    Dr.longshot

12. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

Kolar is a new company as compared to Ljutic. A 40 year old Ljutic will still bring as much as the owner bought it for 40 years ago, or in some cases a lot more (Space Guns, bi-guns, ect). We'll have to see what a Kolar brings in 40 years. And you can also bet the 80 year old Ljutic at that time will still be shooting straights, by my grandsons. I'm not suggesting Kolar is not a great gun. They just don't have the track record of Ljutic.

13. Kolarpole

Kolarpole Member

I shoot a KOLAR now for almost 3 years. Shot a LJUTIC for about 7 years. Very nice mono gun with my pick of wood and dimensions. Same with the Kolar. The 750 bore Kolar seems to "mash" tagrets harder. The Ljutic was 9 lb 3oz. and the Kolar is 9 lb 8oz, Both are SUPER AMERICAN companies and both gave me good service. I must say Kolar is unbelivable in there service. Do I miss the Ljutic..?? yes...OH...I owned a International Scout, 1975 with a 345 cu engine....that toooo was a nice machine... RUN'EM

14. Jon Reitz

Jon Reitz Well-Known Member

Dear Mister Hauxfan,

Some people annoy me. You've just won that honor. A guy (mrd) posts on here in an open, sincere way, asking for information and opinions about two different shotguns. I provided what I could about Kolar shotguns. I have no firsthand knowledge about Ljutics. I'm not even sure I can spell it correctly. I submitted my post as such. And then you come on here like you want to take issue with me? What's your problem anyway? You got nothing better to do than sit there and play with your keyboard?

Jon Reitz

15. biff

biff Active Member

With Ljutic, IF you ever have a problem....you can fix it yourself! It sometimes makes me wonder about all the praises on "The service" at Kolar( I know and like all of the Kolar people; Keith, Jeff, and John). Not many sing the praises about Ljutic service, because they seem to NEVER break down....I have only seen one fail in the years I've been shooting. I bought another Ljutic for back-up and never ever used it, now I just leave it at home and wonder why I ever bought it in the first place!

Saying you lose less money on a Kolar than a Ljutic sounds good till you try to sell your Kolar. Biff

16. Old Texas Marine

Old Texas Marine Member

Jon,

MRD asked for a comparison of two different manufacturers guns. You did not provide a comparison as you are not familiar with both guns. Nor did I, as I have only owned one of the brands, even though I have fired the other and would have bought it if I could have talked the owner into selling.

Hauxfan has owned both according to his post. He provided an opinion based on that experience which you and I lack.

You need a bit thicker skin if you're going to participate in TS.com discussions. This may be a shock, but not everyone is going to agree with you OR me.

HBT

17. Hauxfan

Hauxfan Well-Known Member

Jon, you need to go back and re-read my post. You talked about the Kolar, of which you had knowledge.

I talked about the Ljutic of which I have knowledge, and the Kolar, which I have also owned.

Don't get your shorts in a bunch. I took no shots at you............

Have a great day, I am.......

Hauxfan!

18. WNCRob

WNCRob Member

I have owned a Ljutic Monogun with the Centennial rib. I traded it on a Kolar T/S for the following reasons:
    > The Ljutic stock did not have enough cast-off for me
    > The Ljutic did not like steel-based shells, eg. Gun Clubs, which I like to
    reload...occasionally, a fired one will stick in the chamber.

The T/S is a bit heavier and has the #4 stock ("twisted sister"), which fits me perfectly.

Both are exceptional guns and should last a lifetime with minimal repair.

For the poster who said you can buy a used T/S for $3500...if you can find a decent one for that, buy them all! From a resale/trade standpoint I feel that the T/S is a better investment, as Ljutics, as good as they are, are an acquired taste.

WNCRob

WNCRob

19. Chango2

Chango2 Active Member

I'd be happy with any well-made American SBT that fits me. A wonderful group of choices...Alfermann, Cole, Bowen, Seitz, Ljutic, Kolar, and maybe, just maybe, I forgot one here. All beautiful and generally simple...and I'm not even counting the venerable oldies no longer in production...my dream would be to have a big, big, big, home on a hill with an adornment of American SBT's on the wall over my mobile art of a high end Ducati MC and well-done 32 Ford hot rod roadster...then I woke up.

20. fssberson

fssberson Active Member

You need to look at Dennis Devault's newest gun -- THE INFINITY. Moves to the target very well and built like a tank. Also, the older Mach One is damn good! Fred

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
kolar shotguns review
kolar ts vs ljutic

kolar vs ljutic

ljutic comparison
ljutic mono gun review
ljutic vs bowen
ljutic vs kolar
should i buy a ljutic