1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Kolar Trapgun: Opinions/Advice Please

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Chango2, Dec 28, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chango2

Chango2 Active Member

Hi...just starting this thread 'cause I "ended up" with a Kolar Trapgun. It is the kind that can be made into a combo; two firing pins. Also had the top and the unsingle barrel(s). Question: Do these have any particular idiosyncracies, weaknesses, foibles, quirks, etc. I'm looking forward to shooting it..(gun came to me on a trade for various items..)

What is the advantage of the high rib top single? It is adjustable, but how much adjustment is there in one of these? Is this gun simliar to the venerable Remington 90-T that used to be made by Kolar? Who is, if anybody, the "go to" person at Kolar for service advice? Also, what model would this gun be? It can be an O/U.

Thanks for any advice; I've never shot one of these before...and am yet to shoot even one shell in this one...

2. JACK

JACK Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

David. If the stock fits, you should be fine. they are tough guns. I think the top single was introduced about 5 years ago. I kinda doubt you will hav eany real issues with this gun. For repair or eval send it to Doug Braker (the Gun Dr on TS.com) He was Kolar's head gunsmith for years till he moved to Norther MN. But better yet, Call Doug @ 218-947-3600. And go over the gun with him on the phone. He spends quality time sharing his knowledge re your new firearm. Adn Doug as you probably know is reasonable and has quick turnarounds.

The stock issue is only an issue if the stock does not fit. Kolar uses Wenig and each of their gun models has about 5 options for cast off and pad palcement. Kolar will not trade you a new stock and allow yo anything for the old stock. So, it is like the USPS ad goes... "If it fits, it ships". Or in paraprosdokian lingo, "If it does not fit, yo cannot get out of it"

3. notquite27

notquite27 TS Member

Chango2,

PM sent.

4. Beretta687EELL

Beretta687EELL Well-Known Member

I have a Kolar T/A Max combo gun. They are a heavy gun, or at least, that is what I am told by others that try mine.

IMHO you won't find a better company to deal with than Kolar. Keith Sprangers is the gentleman that I usually deal with at Kolar.

About 8 weeks ago I was at the Kolar factory and had a fitting for a custom stock. The stock was made by Jeff Mainland, the president of Kolar as well as their stock man. I should have done this when I bought the gun instead of shooting the PFS that I had on it from new. Wenig does not do their stocks anymore.

While I was at the Grand this year I came to the conclusion that I can't shoot the high rib unsingle and have traded my unsingle barrel for a top single, which was looked after by Mr. Mainland. I shoot off the end of the barrel and there was just too much rib and barrel for me. During the time I have been shooting the unsingle I developed a number of bad habits / techniques. My gun is currently residing at Kolar waiting for the stock to be finished and the new top single to be fitted. Frankly, I can't wait to get it back, but as my Father always told me ... "a good thing is worth waiting for".

I am currently shooting my 90-T HPAR, which was checked over and fitted (as well as an adjustable stock can be) to me at the Grand by Kolar. As long as I keep myself from slipping back into those bad habits, I am breaking targets very well with the 90-T.

I am really looking forward to getting my Kolar back and trying out the new stock and top single.

I think you will be very happy with your new to you Kolar. Bill Malcolm

5. scott calhoun

scott calhoun Well-Known Member

MIA -

I think your info about Kolar using Wenig for stocks is incorrect. As far as I know (I had gun made at Kolar about 5 years ago and have friends who have had guns made more recently), the only thing Kolar used Wenig for was finishing the stock after it was made by Kolar. Kolar has their own wood and creates their own stocks. At the time I had my gun made the stock was sent to Wenig to be checkered/finished, but was made/fit in-house at Kolar. When Wenig changed hands a few years ago Wenig declined to continue doing the checkering/finishing for Kolar stocks, and I don't know who is doing it now.

Scott

6. daddiooo

daddiooo TS Supporters TS Supporters

There are no weak links in the Kolar guns period. Great guns that are over-engineered at every turn. THE BEST customer service on this planet. Keith, Jeff and the crew are absolutely TOP NOTCH. Can't say enough good about my experiences with these guys.

My Kolar has over 200,000 rounds thru it and have had no issues.

When you get a chance to shoot it, please post your thoughts on this one.

You'll never be sorry that you bought American made.

Kolar----262-554-0800 call and talk to Keith.

7. Chango2

Chango2 Active Member

Thanks to all five of you who have taken the time to help bring me up to speed. Greatly appreciated.

8. JACK

JACK Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

Thanks Bill and Scott.

9. Chango2

Chango2 Active Member

Just sent you a private message Jack..

10. birdogs

birdogs TS Member

The Kolar is an excellent gun and is made and supported by excellent people. They should write a manual on customer service which every company should use.

The Kolar is the least expensive gun to shoot since it is built like a tank and seems to need little if any maintenance.

11. smoky

smoky Member

i've owned and shot them all. kolar's gun and service is the best.

12. scott calhoun

scott calhoun Well-Known Member

I've never understood basing a buying decision on what the gun is going to be worth when you don't want it any more. Seems counter-intuitive to me. I always bought a gun so I could shoot it, not so I could sell it. I know a lot of people trade guns pretty often, and resale is important to those people, but when I bought my Kolar I was interested in getting the gun that would be the best at meeting my needs for shooting targets. If you are worried about what you gun is going to be worth when you decide to sell it, go with an 870 Express that way you will be sure to limit your loss exposure to just a couple hundred dollars.

As for reliability and service on Kolars, I've had mine for five or six years and have had the "annual" done twice - and once just because a buddy was going to Racine and offered to take my gun along with him. At least 100K rounds thru the gun and so far I've broken one ejector and one firing pin.

Scott

13. skeet_man

skeet_man Well-Known Member

Wenig did the std dimension wood for Kolar, anything that was custom kolar did themselves, anything std dimension Wenig did. Paul Hilmer did it for Kolar before wenig did.

14. bjk1972

bjk1972 Member

Chango, sounds like you have a T/C model. It can be had in a number of configurations.If you have the un-single the POI can be set from 60/40 to 90/10 with the standard #1 rib, 80/20 to 110% with the #2 rib.The o/u barrel is set at 60/40 for the top and bottom can be adjusted via hangers and mid rib spacers to 80/20.I can't speak on the high rib max guns,never shot one.I'm very happy with mine. Feels alot like my 90t and is built very well.Soft shooter. Keith is the go to guy at Kolar, and customer service has been great.Go put some shells through it and see what you think. Brad

15. twotimer

twotimer Member

Don't' own a Kolar but may someday soon. Was in Racine last fall and gave Jeff Mainland a call. He invited me for a tour of the plant. Very interesting! A lot of what seemed like old world craftsmanship. Turned out his daughter goes to the same high school I graduated from many moons ago. He is a great guy to know and I would buy their product in a minute. Mike

16. Chango2

Chango2 Active Member

Interesting; no model number stamped on this one. I learned it was custom ordered by a right handed shooter. He obtained it with an adjustable comb and a stock set up for a righty (the way I like 'em) with a palm swell for a righty and offset. It originally came with three barrels; two are left: an adjustable unsingle and a non-adjustable top single. Trigger is double release with parts to convert back. Factory style. No model designation is stamped on the gun. The third set of barrels were O/U and were sold off before the gun came my way.

Both barrels are choke tubed with factory chokes; barrels are factory and unchanged. Bore is allegedly .738. I will check later.

Learning about a different brand of trapgun is fun. I believe the first owner decided he next would have liked to shoot a popular gun made in Italy, some kind of "P" gun which are rather nice I'm told.

17. daddiooo

daddiooo TS Supporters TS Supporters

Chango2,

From the sound of it this must be a standard combo. If you'll post the serial number I can tell you the approximate age and when it left the factory.
    (ie: 22xx) I think you'll find that the top single will shoot sorta' flat while the unsingle you can dial up to about 110% high. (great for long yardage handicap)As for nothing being stamped on the gun insofar as a model number Kolars' standard receiver is the platform for all it's models. When a "high rib" model is produced the only change is the heighth and dimensions of the stock. Good luck and let us know how that first outing goes.

Dave

18. Chango2

Chango2 Active Member

First outing: Wonderful gun, surprisingly flat shooter. Really pounds targets from the 16 with 16/1000" Wrights aftermarket choke. Very open choke. Smoked targets.

Lots of operator error despite a nice gun fit. Relatively low point of impact and a painful shoulder conspired. Got last ten targets hard when I figured out gun was a flat shooter for me. Was using top single barrel. I have a very good feeling about this gun, so familiar in feel to my go to SBT, but feels like a pound lighter. Same feel in fit and in dynamics. Not used to the low point of impact; am raising the comb by 1/16" and we should be happier. Won't shoot it again until shoulder more healed. So glad gun came my way.

"Wordy Man"-Out

19. bjk1972

bjk1972 Member

Wait, It didn't swing like a fence post or two by four? Or was way too heavy? LOL. Try the un-single. Might add a few ozs. and it might be closer to the HPAR than you think. Made in the usa baby!

20. ms_yuan

ms_yuan Member

I know, it's the Indian, not the Arrow, but after I had my Kolar made for me in Racine, I went from C to A class shooting in two months. I had more 25's in 1 month than I had in the previous year. Jeff Mainland is a wonderful guy and incredibly knowledgeable. He spent about 7 hours fitting my stock to me and as a result, it's *the* most comfortable gun I've shot. I was terrified to make adjustments to the stock, but through careful observation and experience, he'd file a bit there, sand some more there, with each adjustment making the gun feel even better. Hardly any felt recoil and just a pleasure to shoot. I can understand the lower resale value -- the gun is virtually custom made to my dimensions and shooting style. However, it shoots so well for me, I can't see ever giving it up. I'm confident it'll last long enough to pass on to my son, and provide him with a lifetime of shooting.

My T/A Max shoots 100% high out of the box. Since I was used to 70/30, I had to adjust my sight picture, but got the hang of things within a round or two. It does have an adjustable rib and comb, but just chose to keep the gun as it is and make a minor adjustment to my shooting style. I've never regretted the decision to go with Kolar.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.