1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Kolar Trap Max TA opinions...........

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by K80Dude, Aug 12, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. K80Dude

K80Dude Member

For those of you who are shooting or have shot the new Kolar Max TA what do you think? How does it compare to the Krieghoff Trap Special if you have shot one?

I shot the new Kolar at the Grand and had a very good first impression of the gun. Not looking for a brand war, just opinions of those who HAVE shot it.

Thanks,

David

2. ec90t

ec90t Guest

David,

My experience with the new TA is limited, but quite a few shooters in my neck of the woods are shooting them. They are getting along with them quite nicely. Most have the unsingle, but a couple have the top single. I've always liked the way a Kolar fit me better than what Krieghoff and Perazzi has to offer.

ec90t

3. K80Dude

K80Dude Member

anyone else?

4. Bird Grinder

Bird Grinder Member

Been shooting a Kolar T/A all summer and it's breaking my best scores ever. I've gotten 3 punches on the 27 this year so far. I was shooting a standard Kolar, and after seeing the T/A at the Grand I just had to have one. I love the way you don't get any heat waves off the single barrel or the O/U. I did have to change the middle hanger on the O/U to get both barrels to shoot like my standard combo. The Kolar T/A is the answer to all the things I ever wanted on a Trap combo. I've never shot the K80 special, sold my standard K80 to buy the T/A and have never wanted it back.

5. K80Dude

K80Dude Member

6. The Kolar Kid

The Kolar Kid TS Member

I personally shot Kolars and love the way they feel and shoot. The company is great and I have had zero issues with my Kolar. There are allot of quality trap guns to choose from as we all know. Buy what works for you. A Remington 1100 might just be the bomb who knows? If the Kolar works for you and you have the doe, go for it. You really can’t go wrong with that brand and they do seem to hold their value rather well from what I have seen.

Note: There are a few running around at the Grand if you cruise down vendor row.

7. Kolarmaxx

Kolarmaxx TS Member

Had a standard Kolar unsingle and I had it converted to a TA unsingle. I can't tell you how much I love the high rib. Took some getting used to, but the visibility is awesome and now I'm smoking the targets. Shooting position is very relaxed. Stand straight up and bring the gun to your face. No more scrunching down on the gun. I can't say enough good things about the high rib Kolar. I spent a bunch of time shooting a high rib Krieghoff unsingle and liked it, but I really like the weight of the Kolar. Zero kick and I like the weight in the back of the gun. Swing is very fluid. Krieghoff felt heavy in the nose and was a little whippy to me. I didn't swing it as smoothly as the Kolar. (I know I'm going to get flamed for this comment) Kolar quality is outstanding and I've had zero issues. Built like a tank. Had a bunch of mods done by Marc in service and he is professional and fast. Release trigger is also bullet proof and can easily be converted to pull. Can't say enough good things about the gun. Chris

8. Johnpic

Johnpic Member

Kolarmaxx,
    I have been thinking of buying a used standard Kolar and converting it to a TA unsingle. Could you please tell me what the cost would be? Can you just change the rib and ramp or do you need a new barrel? Also, is there anything you have to do to the hight of the stock?
    Sorry to intrude on your thread, but I thought that this question might also interest you. John

9. Kolarmaxx

Kolarmaxx TS Member

John - Kolar converted my ramp unsingle to a high rib for $395 plus shipping. They kept the old rib. I then had to get post extensions from Kolar to move the comb up to where it now needs to be. I used plastic washers from Graco (1/16 and 1/32 to keep track of my movement and to take up the space). Gap was then big enough to throw a cat through. So I had a stockmaker named Joe Goldberg make me a new taller comb to fill the gap that matches my wood perfectly and shoots great. So for a total of $800 bucks I have a Max T/A that would have cost me new close to $5,000 with a trade in loss. Definitely the way to go. The Kolar dealers may not agree with me, but I am thrilled with the conversion. Only problem is that the old style O/U barrels can't be converted, only the unsingles. Sell the old barrel and buy a new one if you need the O/U. Chris

10. Beretta687EELL

Beretta687EELL Well-Known Member

I've had mine for a few weeks now and love the way it feels and points for me. I haven't had the time to shoot it much, but will be able to rectify that soon. I got mine with a Precision Fit Stock, which I am unfamiliar with, so I have had a learning curve there. I feel that this gun will force me to become much more consistent with my gun mount and all those important thing that make one able to break winning scores. Bill Malcolm

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.