1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Kolar too heavy for me?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by himejim, Feb 16, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. himejim

himejim Member

I have been shooting a Kolar unsingle combo for a few years. I am a one-eyed shooter so I have a low gun hold. Each year I feel like I am getting slower and slower to the target. Could it be that the gun is too heavy or long (34") for me as I age a lose a little strength? Anyone do anything to change the balance or go to a shorter length barrel that helped you with a similar issue? Are P guns or K guns similar in weight or balance? Thanks for your opinions. Jim

2. Beretta687EELL

Beretta687EELL Well-Known Member

They are a heavy gun. What are your scores like, are you happy with them? .750 bore barrels are lighter than .740 bores. Try a tighter choke. Get a Terry Jordan wall chart and build up your muscles. Try some weight in the stock, which will change the balance, which will make the barrels move faster. I shoot a 34" .750 bore T/A Max with a PFS and was told yesterday that I move the gun very fast to the target. I think the PFS adds a fair bit of weight compared to the regular wood stock. Lots of options. Good luck, I love my Kolar and would not want to give it up. Bill Malcolm

Edit: PS, I'm also a one eyed shooter and hold a low gun.

3. KEYBEAR

KEYBEAR Active Member

How heavy is it ? I had (have) the same problem and did trade guns . I went from a 10lb. 2oz. gun to 9lb. gun big help. The heavy guns really show up shooting register trap . The first trap is fine the last is hell .

4. blackfoot

blackfoot Member

I had the same exact problem as you(1 eyed)! The gun was too heavy and felt like i was pushing a dead weight.For me the "dynamics" of the gun were wrong for my frame. I shot the gun for 1 season and traded for a K80. My scores have been going up the last 2 years and am pleased w/ my decision.The K80 just seems faster and easier to swing. I still think the Kolar was an excellent gun: very well made but wrong for me. Good Luck!

5. PerazziBigBore

PerazziBigBore TS Member

Blackfoot worded the truth well.. Some shooters require a "heavy" gun to smooth out their swing.. Which would otherwise be a bit uncontrolled..and to reduce recoil which can also have very bad results to your score.. A lighter.. more dynamic gun will have a little more recoil but be much faster to the target. As I work with many older shooters who are loosing upper body strength.. I have found a lighter gun.. especially on the front end.. and some kind of recoil device is the most appropiate answer.. I perfer the PFS stock but the Bumpbuster and Rads I like too. Some have found a shorter barrel helps in this quest of changing dynamics for the older shooter. I perfer the longer barrel.. but to each his own. Also.. many of the Kolar stock are just to thick.. Despite my love of the Perazzi shotgun.. the early K-32 with the factory trap stock I have found to be one of the happiest answers for my older shooting buddies. I also agree with the statement of trying the Kolar .750 bore.. The few I have shot would make me reconsider the Kolar..as they felt really good and had much improved dynamics over the earlier ones.
    The last note which I hate to mention.. and especially to my over age 50 friends.. You need to hit the gym.. or at least the weights if you expect to stay at the top of your game.. Those 300 round matches.. and 500 round marathons demand strength and endurance.. Gun lifts on a wall chart are a start.. but nothing beat steel weights for toning or arms and back. My BEST shooting days was when I was installing marble.. all day long..6 days a week..Not only did I loose 25 pounds..but my body was in the best shape it had ever been in.. A fine shotgun can only go so far.. It can't move itself to the target.. YOU must do that.. Now.. eyesight.. that's a whole different story.. So.. after this long post.. The skinny.. try to get in shape.. and my first gun to try would be a 32" K-32 or a 34" TM-1/TMX.. All Good.. Mike Also.. look at an older Browning BT-99.. For singles I look at it as one of the all time greats..

6. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Banned User Banned TS Supporters

I'm often amazed at how fast my "retro-gun" (Model 12) gets to a target compared to my K-80. It seems every Kolar I pick up feels far more bulky and slow compared to the K-gun. As one of the over 60's crowd I feel your pain!!

7. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

Don't buy a Ljutic if you think the Kolar is to heavy........ Mount and swing your gun 100-200 times a day for a few weeks and you will feel a lot stronger.

8. PerazziBigBore

PerazziBigBore TS Member

Oleolliedawg. Don't leave out the timeless 870 pump... Many of my over 70 friends have gone to the 390/391 to stay in the game.. I once shot in the "Senior Louisians Olympics" with a 80 plus year old lady shooting 20 youth model 20 gauge 391.. 24" barrel. I must say her style,grace and scores were much to be admired.. There's hope for all of us.. Remember the "Trap Shooting G-ds".. we must be humble to our age and often make agjustments. All Good.. Mike

9. WarEagle2017

WarEagle2017 Active Member

This is exactly why I sold My Kolar combo, although a great Gun, But in a 300 Target event the last Hundred I shot like crap, I guess it is We are getting weaker as We are getting older, I am now shooting a beretta unsingle combo and I love it....

10. shark1

shark1 Member

Dear PERAZZIBIGBORE,
    I must give you credit physical fitness is the way to go! No body should exercise until having a Medical Doctors release. Why wait till 50? I am only 39 have been working out since 15yrs of age. Being physically fit will help with fatigue, lower pulse rate, even for people with low back issues (not all). I can not stress this enough, physical fitness will help you live a healthy(er) life. All sports have shown a great gain with physical fitness. Please note there are different levels of fitness, finding the one that is right for you is the key. Mike Sharkey, DC

11. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Banned User Banned TS Supporters

Mike Sharkey, please return with your positive comments in another 15 years. You may find your mileage will vary!!

12. Shotgun Specialties

Shotgun Specialties Active Member

To cure your clubbiness concern without getting rid of your Kolar consider going to a 32" .750 bore unsingle. We have sold alot of these and people can't imagine the difference. I hate to say, but they feel like shooting a K80. We have one 32" unsingle barrel in stock. If interested, give a email or call 1-800-344-7468, Thanks, Doug @ SGS
    PS, as far as Ljutic's, the adjustable rib Mono's and Black Diamonds have been weighing in between 9 to 9.5 lbs and some even lighter depending on wood

13. shark1

shark1 Member

Dear OLEOLLIEDAWG, I can only guestimate on your age. Physical fitness is considered to be a preventative health care measure. I deal alot with medicare patients in my practice and can comment that the older patients who have been in some sort of physical condition in a large number notice a faster recovery for minor injuries. Granted we can find one example of a person who was in great shape and died of a heart attack (ect.), but lets look at the overall picture. I invested my life and my into physical fitness and health. Look at my profession and my credentials. It is never to late or to soon for some sort of physical fitness. PS I know you can not read tone in e-mail, but these comments are made for encouragement and over all health. I will help any body I can regardless of money, or overall condition, and or location. Mike Sharkey, DC (757) 787-3111

14. himejim

himejim Member

Thanks for all of your honest comments.

Yes, while not overweight, my upper body strength and trunk are not helped by by bicycle regiment. So, revising my routine would give me the strength to better handle my 10.5 lb. Kolar Unsingle.

I shot a used K-80 at the Grand (2000)before I purchased the Kolar and the K-80 even then felt easier and smoother for me to move on a target. Well, Kolar is 11 miles from my house, so I bought the Kolar. The folks at Kolar have been outstanding to work with yet the .740 Unsingle never felt as easy to swing as my previous gun (BT 99 Plus).

I have considered going back to the 99 Plus but it has a pull trigger and I have been shooting a release for the past 3 years and I hate to shoot the trap house or worse by making a temporary switch to a pull trigger.

Going to a different and lighter barrel for the Kolar would probably help but I hate to spend more money on a gun that I might not stay with. I should probably try shooting a demo K-80 from someone. Any ideas where I could do that in southern Wisconsin?

Thanks again. Jim

15. 635 G

635 G Well-Known Member

When is too much much exercise, or repeated shooting bad? Lets say, in my case I'm 66, if I do 100 lifts every day & shoot 400 rds on a weekend, when does my body get a chance to recover & rebuild? It feels as of late all I'm doing is tearing it down. Should I cut down to 100 singles on Sat & shoot 100 singles & 100 caps on Sun.? After a weekend of shooting & close to 400 miles of driving I'm totally beat.

Thanks --Phil berkowitz

16. himejim

himejim Member

Anyone here ever shoot a 32" Kolar Single bbl.? I would appreciate your comments on how this compares to swinging a 34" unsingle. Thanks, Jim

17. KEYBEAR

KEYBEAR Active Member

Jim If the gun is to heavy it,s to heavy . Changing the barrel will not make it MUCH lighter maybe 4-6oz.at most . I went from a gun at over 10 lb to one under 9 lb big difference to me .

ALF

18. himejim

himejim Member

Alf,

I weighed my Kolar and it tips the scale at 10.5 lbs. and my other gun that I shot before the Kolar was a BT 99 Plus that I just weighed, 9 lbs.

Now that sounds like a big difference (1.5 lbs. or 14%), yet the total weight is only one variable. Will taking 4-6oz. from the end of the gun change the swing characteristics of the gun? Hard for me to tell until I make a side-by-side comparison.

Jim

19. KEYBEAR

KEYBEAR Active Member

Jim It may help you .. My problem is different you see after 60 or 70 targets I don,t get the gun up on my shoulder like I should .. Four or five years ago I had both shoulders rebuilt . I just don,t have the strength in them anymore . But I do know if you have a gun that weights 1.1/2lb less it helps alot .

ALF

20. Steven

Steven TS Member

I too find my Kolar gun heavy, so I bought a toe pad and rest the gun on my foot between shots. That worked out great for me. As for swinging the gun you should be using your upper body not your arms. 1.5 lbs shouldn't make that big of difference. My opinion only.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

kolar unsingle weight