1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Kolar T/S ribs

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Johnpic, Nov 23, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Johnpic

Johnpic Member

Has anyone bought the new extra high step rib for their T/S, and if you have did you you install it yourslef? I was tolled that it is better to send the barrel to Kolar but it seems like it should be easy to install yourslef.

Thanks, John

2. Johnpic

Johnpic Member

There are 3 different ribs for the T/S. There is now a new extra high step rib for a higher point of impact. I talked to John R. the president of Kolar last week on the phone and he confirmed this to me. I originally heard about this rib on this forum from a person who had one installed. Do a surch for more inf.

John

3. Don K8020

Don K8020 TS Member

I had the extra high rib installed on my Kolar T/S in October. I found out about it from John Ramagli when he was at the big skeet tournament in San Antonio.

I sent my gun to Kolar to have it installed and they charged me an exchange rate of $50 for the new rib. According to Rags, the new extra high rib (they also refer to it as the double windowpane rib) coupled with the "B" front hanger, allows for a POI range of 65%-110%.

I had Kolar do the work to ensure the rib was correctly aligned with the barrel. I sent them the gun on a Tuesday and had it back 8 days later on a Wednesday. I paid for UPS 2-day air shipping both ways from Bay City, TX to Racine and back, plus the $50 exchange. So for $150 I got a new rib that works perfectly for me.

Kolar has two front hangers, labeled "A" and "B" on the left side of the hanger. One is high and one is low. They have 3 ribs now. There are no markings on the ribs. The 2 original ribs are differentiated by their height at the very front of the rib. The low rib is 5/8" high and the high rib is 3/4" high. The low rib provides for a high POI and the high rib provides for a low POI range. Most standard Kolar T/S's bought off the rack are equipped with the "A" hanger and the 3/4 rib (and the #1 stock).

The 2 original ribs, at the point where they abut the fixed ramp atop the receiver, are level with the top of the ramp. The 2 ribs are also solid along the top of the false barrel.

The new extra high rib is higher than the fixed ramp on top of the receiver, and has two window cutouts over the false barrel (thus the "double windowpane" moniker). The new rib stands about a 1/2" taller than the fixed ramp. Kolar transitions from the fixed ramp to the rib with a steeper ramp built into the back of the new rib - somewhat reminiscent of a stepped rib, but with more of a ramp than a step. The new rib also measures 5/8" at the very front of the rib.

The new rib gives the gun a really cool look and much more adjustment room (at least for me). I'm using Wright's chokes in mine (a 740 bore) and now that I've been able to get it dialed in, it is one target crunching mother. If I can find a camera I'll try to post a photo or two.

Don Anderson

4. Johnpic

Johnpic Member

Don, sense the ribs just bolts on, and can only go on one way, do you think it something that I could install myslef? Kolar toled me if I sent the gun to them that it would cost $145 for the rib, plus shipping. John Piccone

5. Obsessed Racer

Obsessed Racer TS Member

I Would love to see a picture of that new rib.

6. Don K8020

Don K8020 TS Member

When I saw John Ramagli at the National Shooting Complex in San Antonio, he told me Kolar would install the new extra high rib on my T/S for the "standard exchange rate", but didn't tell me what that was. When I got back home from San Antonio, I called Racine to ask if the new ribs were available. I explained I just heard about them from John Ramagli and one could be installed on my gun for the standard exchange rate. The person I talked to said they had one in and told me the standard exchange rate was $50. I sent my gun to them. They charged my credit card something like $92.38, $50 for the new rib (they kept my old one) and $42 for return UPS 2 day air + insurance.

I don't know about $145 to install the new rib unless they decided the amount they charged me was too low.

I suppose you could install it yourself. I don't know if there is something attached to the muzzle end of the barrel to ensure alignment of the front hanger or not. Don't know if they would do an exchange or require outright purchase of the new rib. Both Ramagli and the guy I spoke to in Racine implied they would prefer I send the gun in to have the new rib installed.

Don Anderson

7. Don K8020

Don K8020 TS Member

Here's a closeup of the back end of the extra high rib

Don Anderson

8. Don K8020

Don K8020 TS Member

John Piccone:

Hopefully I at least partly answered your question in my previous posts.

I haven't bothered to take the front hanger off my gun to see if there's something that indexes the front of the rib and hanger to the centerline of the barrel. That was a concern for me, and I felt Kolar would ensure the rib was properly aligned.

As far as I know it is a simple bolt on.

Several months ago, when I first got the gun and was trying to get it adjusted right, I found I had run out of adjustment, couldn't get the POI high enough and still maintain my desired sight picture. I re-read the brochure on their website about the T/S and thought it implied there were multiple ribs and hangers available. That's when I found out about the two front hangers and the two ribs that were available. At that time I asked them if I could install the rib myself and were the ribs available on their exchange program. They said, hesitantly, yes, I could probably install the rib myself, but that they would rather I send the gun in for them to do.

Several months after that I saw John Ramagli in San Antonio and he told me about the new extra high rib.

I'd suggest you call Racine and ask if there is something on the front end of the barrel that ensures the rib and barrel are aligned or if they put the barrel in an alignment jig to get the rib in alignment. If there is something that makes the rib/hanger and barrel self-aligning, then I would say you can probably easily do it yourself, I guess. If Kolar uses a jig, then I would recommend you send the gun in to have the new rib installed.

Don Anderson

9. Johnpic

Johnpic Member

Don, thank you for the pictures and all the information about the rib. You answered all my questions. I will call Kolar and get more information about the rib exchange cost. The rib looks great.

Thanks, John Piccone

10. slickhead

slickhead Active Member

Please keep us posted as to whether the new high rib is now available. I sure would like to have one on mine.

11. Obsessed Racer

Obsessed Racer TS Member

12. Dr.Longshot

Dr.Longshot Banned Banned

I talked to Keith today on the phone and he did verify that there is a 3rd rib, an extra high shooter, they made 50 of them before the grand, they are out of them now but will have some more after the first of the year.

I may need to try one.

Sorry about my previous post as i got some wrong information.

My trigger for my latest Kolar T/S is there having a release installed.

Dr.longshot

13. Dr.Longshot

It is very easy to install a new rib, there is an indentation on the front of the Bbl where the front hangar slides over it, it is there for perfect alignment.

When you loosen the Allen screw above the chamber do not remove it completely as there is a shim or shimms there and they are very small and thin, remove the front Bbl adjusting set screw and sleeve and lift off the old rib, Install the new rib and tighten the Allen screw above the chamber and check and see if there is free up and down movement and no forward or reverse movement, if this is OK finish installing the rib and Bbl sleeve with allen screw and snug it up.
    You do not need to remove the front hangar if my memory serves me right.

I have installed new ribs on several of the Kolars for myself and others.

Dr.longshot

14. Johnpic

Johnpic Member

Dr.Longshot,
    Somehow I missed your thread On installining the rib. Thank you very much for the information.

Kolar did respond to an email that I sent them yesterday, and tolled me that the rib (as you mentioned) will be available Jan.08. The cost is $195 for rib,"B" hanger and higher posts for the comb if needed plus $35 to intall, plus shipping and insurance. There is no exchange on the old rib. I believe the cost for the rib only is $145.
    I plan on installing the rib myslef.

John Piccone

15. bas

bas Member

It is very easy to change ribs on the T/S....heck, I can do it and I'm a girl!

16. jbmi

jbmi Well-Known Member

I'm headed to Wisconsin next week to have the rib switched on my unsingle. They also make 3 standard ribs for this and John said he could also install the extra high rib from the TA of I wish. Right now I have the high rib on my unsingle (which is the thinest at the muzzle). I'm looking to have the low rib ( thickest or tallest) rib installed. They name their ribs according to where they shoot and I want a more flat shooting rib hence the low rib.
    I'm also looking at a set of O/U barrels for doubles they have on hand. I really want a combo that all I need to do is switch barrels and not mess with comb adjustments. I've always wanted to go to Kolar, should be a fun trip.

17. Dr.Longshot

I got my release trigger back for my T/S I have the high shooting rib and hangar and I shot the gun tonite for the first time and it only shoots 70/30 to
    80/20 at the max, and that is not high enough for me. This gun should easily shoot 100% high but it does not. I am waiting for the new higher shooting rib

Dr.longshot

18. Dr.Longshot

If anybody has the the new Kolar T/S Stepped high shooting rib and wants to trade for the next lower high shooting rib we can trade. E-mail me at lngsht19@aol.com E-mail is posted in Blue above.

Dr,longshot

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

kolar rib shims