1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Kolar re-blueing @ Grand

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by kolar412, Jul 28, 2013.

1. kolar412

kolar412 Member

I have a small place on the barrel that needs to be reblued. Does anybody know if anyone at the Grand can do this? Kolar can't at the Grand. They will however charge me $295 +shipping and insurance, not what I want to pay.

2. Sky Buster

Sky Buster Sky Buster TS Supporters

No one offers hot reblueing at the grand. If it's not to bad,
    it can be touched-up with liquid blue. This is something
    you can do yourself.

3. skeet_man

skeet_man Well-Known Member

Nobody is going to do it on-site. The effort involved in transporting all the equipment would be immense, and the complications of moving large quantities of bluing chemicals would be incredible.

Glenrock Bluing will do it for $160 plus ship, their 400 grit factory finish is as nice as I've ever seen on a gun part.

4. smokintom

smokintom Well-Known Member

If you want to try something that works get a bottle of Pro Blue from Pro Products Inc. It works. Follow the instructions and the results are great.

5. PULL PULL

PULL PULL Member

A $10,000 dollar gun. $295.00 to much to put it back like new. I love trap shooters. Stu wright might do it. In the past he has set up at the grand. I don't know what he charges. But you would only pay postage back. Shoot well and shoot often.

6. GBatch_25

GBatch_25 Active Member

Never saw any bluing equipment at the Grand, in Vandalia or Sparta. Lots of vendors willing to take your gun 'home' and send it back to you. Kolar has the equipment in Racine, but not at the Grand.

Gene in Illinois

7. Joe Woods

Joe Woods Well-Known Member

Take Tom's advise, Amazing Eh !!!

Joe Woods/Ontario

8. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

G-96 will do a touch up depending on how big the spot is ... I know one of the locals who uses a black magic marker and it don't look bad at all ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

9. GunDr

GunDr Well-Known Member

If the barrel you have is the matte black finish...not polished, you would be better off having it cerekoted instead of having it bead-blasted and reblued. The coating will hold up better against abrasion and moisture, and will still look like the original bluing (black).

Doug

10. RLC323

RLC323 Member

If I recall correctly it was not an Illinois requirement on toxic chemicals that ended some of the re-finishing.

Perazzi, while at Vandalia, used to do a lot of stock re-finishing. They ran afoul of the federal law requiring air filtration for overspray. Same law that applies to auto body shops that now have to use those downdraft paint booths to be legal. They had a fan to disperse the fumes from the building, but it was not a filtered system to protect the environment.

So this one was an EPA deal.

Like Gene, I can not recall any bluing tanks at Vandalia (since '72 anyway) or Sparta.

It is pretty easy to jump on Illinois, they love enforcing their rules and regulations. However, I believe during one of the last Vandalia shoots the local fire marshall in Vandalia had the vendors that sold powder in quite a bind by limiting the amount they could keep on hand in their buildings.

11. todddietrich

todddietrich Active Member

Kolar412,
    Stu Wright's shop is in Pickneyville, IL. It's about 25 minutes from Sparta. To save shipping and insurance, you might want to drop it off and pick it up. Stu and his crew are pretty busy his time of year, you might want to feel them out regarding turn around time.

regards,

Todd / Illinois