1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Kolar Questions

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by jsa3107, Sep 14, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jsa3107

jsa3107 TS Supporters TS Supporters

Could anyone explain how Kolars have changed over the years
    I am interested in only the trap models
    And by what I understand they now have a new model out?

Thanks for any and all help
    You can respond here or to my email

2. Paladin

Paladin Well-Known Member

Mash on the link.

The Trap Combo, Trap Single, and Max TA are fully explained, as well as option changes. The customer service is second to none. IMHO, the quality is second to none as well.

3. kolarshooter

kolarshooter Member

I agree with Paladin, Customer service is the BEST!!!.

Why don't our Olympic shooters shoot a Kolar?

Tom

4. jsa3107

I guess I wasnt clear
    The company has been around for 10-12 years
    If I was looking for a used combo what has changed over the years
    Should I be looking for anything that might be a problem
    Are there years to stay away from
    And I saw something about a new model?

thanks

5. Bird Grinder

Bird Grinder Member

jsa3107,
    Check your e-mail

6. skeet_man

skeet_man Well-Known Member

Here are the changes since inception I can think of:

-Update to new style lift-then-throw ejectors. This is pretty much a non-issue if you only shoot brass based shells, they are usually only necessary if you shoot cheap steel based shells. Cost to upgrade- $250

-Standardization of .750 bore screw choked barrels- Before last year or so, most guns were .740 bore, with .750 bore barrels optional, and fixed chokes being standard with screw chokes optional. Now the standard is .750 bore barrels w/ screw chokes throughout.

-Rib choices have changed somewhat. You used to be able to get flat parallel, flat tapered, step parallel, and step tapered ribs (with there being at least 2, possibly 3 heights available in the "step" configuration). Most if not all the guns currently have the ramp tapered ribs, this includes skeet, trap, and sporting guns. The T/A trap guns are also now available with high adjustable ribs on unsingle, top single, and over/under barrels.

-Wood has been manufactured by the factory through a number of suppliers. Hillmer originally made the std dimension wood, while Wenig does most of the std dimension wood, and kolar does their own custom stocks, and perhaps some of the std dimension stocks.

-Screw chokes were originally available in flush and slightly extended blued. The only chokes currently available from kolar are stainless extended chokes, and i'm told Comp-N-Choke is currently making them to kolar's design (angleport did at one point from what i've read).

-Receiver cosmetics have changed somewhat. Original receivers had light scroll work on the sides, with Kolar engraved on the side. Current guns have light scroll on the sides with Kolar engraved on the bottom and the Kolar lion. The barrel pivot pins used to have a little "flower" engraved on them, which is now gone, and the safety on the older guns was checkered, which is now smooth.

All the changes are minor at best, with no major mechanical modifications being made on the gun since inception. All parts made for the very earliest guns will interchange with all parts made on the newest guns (fitting provided) as far as I know.

hope this helps. If there is anything else I can help with feel free to email me @ kolarskeet@gmail.com

7. jsa3107

Skeet

What is teh TA I am hearing about
    I am a trap shooter so that is where my interest is

thanks

8. skeet_man

JSA- T/A stands for Trap Adjustable, and has adjustable high ribs on both the over/under and single barrels (available in oversingle and unsingle). They've only been available for a little over a year now, so used guns are probably going to be difficult to come by.

More info @ http://www.kolararms.com in case you weren't aware of the web address.

9. SMITH47

SMITH47 Member

skeet_man

I am going to san antonio next month and will be shopping for a kolar skeet gun. is there anything unique to the skeet model that i should look for or stay away from ?

thanks,
    ernie

10. skeet_man

Ernie- In my opinion, the very earliest guns are every bit as good as the latest guns, and there are usually good deals to be had on the "logo" receivers (the ones that have the name "kolar" engraved on the side of the action, i actually always thought those looks classier than the newer guns). Depending on what you are looking for as far as dynamics, theres alot to play with as far as .740 bore vs .750 bore, steel vs alum chokes in the small gauges, barrel lengths, ect. Some of the earliest guns did have trigger problems (not so much problems, but they were so finely tuned as far as reset goes, they only worked for 95% of shooters, and if you were in the 5% that held the gun very tight or very loose against your shoulder, you might experience some issues), but those have by and large been addressed now, and if you do happen to find a gun that has issues that haven't been addressed (fan-firing was the most common), this can easily be corrected by kolar right at the shoot.

Ian Smingler

11. SMITH47

SMITH47 Member

Ian-i like a heavy gun like a k-80. do you think i would notice any difference in 28 vs 30 inch barrel ? i shoot 95% with 28 & 410 tubes. 5% with 20 tubes. never 12 so i thought the .740 & .750 bore would not matter to me ? what is the steel vs alum chokes issue ? otherwise i figure it is like everything else for me...buy and try ! ernie

12. skeet_man

If you think you can handle them, 30" are the way to go. I noticed a big difference in "pointability" when I went from 28" (on a citori) to 30" on my kolar skeet gun. If you aren't shooting 12ga out of the gun, the only difference b/w the .740 and .750 bore bbls to you will be weight overall, the .750 bore barrels will be about 4oz less than the .740s (the .750 bore bbls still have alot of heft, esp when you tube them). In the subgauge tubes, you can either use steel or aluminum chokes, which will further alter the weight and balance of your gun. If you want a fairly dynamic gun, and are shooting 30", .750 bore with aluminum chokes on the subgauge tubes (Kolarlites) is where you want to be. If you want a little more deliberate gun, go for steel chokes in the small gauges, and if you want a gun thats got a lot of weight up front, go for .740 bore. One thing to mention, its ALOT easier to add weight than it is to take it away (been there, done that), so if you aren't sure what you want, get the .750 bore barrels, then add weight to them if necessary.

13. SMITH47

SMITH47 Member

Ian

thank you for the info

over & out

e

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.