1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Kolar question

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Leftysmokum, Aug 19, 2013.

1. Leftysmokum

Leftysmokum Member

With a Kolar is it better to close action while holding lever open or gently bump closed--will either make a difference with lockup--Thanks

2. skeet_man

skeet_man Well-Known Member

Close the gun normally, no need to hold the top latch over. Doing so will accelerate wear because it causes the locking block to land in a different spot every time, instead of allowing the mechanism to fully seat the locking block every time.

3. GBatch_25

GBatch_25 Active Member

I put the same question to the 'smiths at Kolar's space at the Grand last week. Close it normally. That is, don't hold the lever open and then close it - just close it. Gently or firmly makes little difference.

Gene in Illinois

4. Beretta687EELL

Beretta687EELL Well-Known Member

Hmmm, I think Keith told to hold the lever to the side when closing the action ... I shall check. Bill Malcolm

5. Beretta687EELL

Beretta687EELL Well-Known Member

Well, I guess everyone is correct (LOL). Read what Keith has to say. Bill Malcolm ...

There is less wear to parts if you hold your top lever more open when closing the barrel onto the receiver.

Let's look at 2 (very familiar lockups)

90-t type, a pin extends out of the top lever when its opened, this pin extends into a hole (c'bore) in the receiver, down inside of this hole is a trip pin that then extends out of the breech face that the barrel, hits and returns which pushes the larger pin back into the top lever. Therefore the top lever returns.

Kolar o/u or t/s, uses a pawl (small pivoting blade of hardened steel) that when the top levers opened swings into a key cut type opening in the receiver, down inside of this key cut extending out to the standing breech face is the same trip pin that when the barrels closed pushes the pawl back inside of the top lever and the top lever returns.

There are advantages / dis-advantages to both types, I prefer the later pawl type. It allows one to remove material to time in when the trip engages, as well can be replaced or re-timed. However its more expensive to produce.

Now we have to keep in mind that the top lever spring is one of the strongest springs in your gun. so whichever type of trip assembly you have, when its under the heavy spring load, the trip is pressed against the receiver and therefore wear occurs. when you hold your top lever more to the right, it takes all of the frictional wear off of the parts.

By now you can see why this is hard to explain, as well we have 90-Ts and Kolar guns out there with more rounds on them than most people shoot in a lifetime that are still operating just fine without any special care when it comes to the top lever. So I believe many "smiths" just say close it normally and the gun will out last the owner.

6. bkt514

bkt514 Active Member

I have a Perazzi MX series and was told to hold the lever open when closing, rather than just closing......hmmm interesting thread. I bet most people just close them up!

7. Donm

Donm Active Member

But that is a P-gun. The question is about Kolars.

8. jbmi

jbmi Well-Known Member

At the factory, Kolar told me just to close the gun with a normal movement, don't slam it shut, don't do it to softly, just close it.

9. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

The Gundr ( Doug Braker) said once that when closing a 90T - do not hold the lever because it causes it to not fully lock and causes wear. I would have to assume that this applies to all with a top lever?