1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Kolar Opinions

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by claykiller, Jan 17, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. claykiller

claykiller Member

Just fishing for some opinions on the Kolar Max T/A. Looking for information on durability, customer service, and over all "kick-ass-ness." Also wondering how well balanced they are? Why do we not see more of them at major events? Thanks in advance for your opinion.

2. skeet_man

skeet_man Well-Known Member

Balance is a personal thing, so what might be appropriate for someone else might not be appropriate for you. You don't see more of them because <4000 have been manufactured so far, and that includes skeet, trap, and sporting clays guns.

3. Ted K.

Ted K. Member

I bought a new Kolar Max T/A combo about a year ago, and I couldn't be more satisfied with the gun and the customer service.

Kolar was extremely accommodating in making a stock that fits me better than anything else I have ever shot. As to recoil, those guys are geniuses at stock design. The felt recoil when shooting my Kolar is almost like a gas/auto; certainly less than any other O/U I have shot.

The gun shoots where I point it, gives me no trouble AT ALL, and is built like a tank. As to balance, it seems fine to me.

Now about my scores - they went up by 2 or 3 birds shortly after I started shooting the gun. I now get one or two 25's every week.

What's not to like? HIGHLY recommended.

Ted K.

4. Pull & Mark

Pull & Mark Well-Known Member

One of the best, if not THE best AMERICAN made gun out there. Customer service is in the USA and second to none. Try that with a Krieghoff, Perazzi, Blaser, Beratta!!! Down side is they are abit on the heavy side. When and if I get enough money!!! Perhaps Someday. Break-em all. Jeff

5. Beretta687EELL

Beretta687EELL Well-Known Member

My .740 bore unsingle combo was stolen and the insurance company replaced it with the T/A Max combo with a .750 bore. I like this one even better. When I manage to keep my head on the stock the targets vanish. I cannot ever imagine shooting anything else at clay targets.

You really need to shoot one, if you haven't. I had an opportunity to go to the factory ... what a great experience. Bill Malcolm

6. Quack_kills

Quack_kills TS Member

I think they are more common in skeet than they are anything else. Of course this is my opinion and I do not have any fact to back that statement.

7. creek

creek Member

My skeet gun is a Kolar Elite; I've had Brownings and a Krieghoff, but the Kolar is the nicest. I visited Kolar in Racine last year and received the royal treatment. The master gunsmith tore the gun apart looking for anything they could fix or adjust, then took us on a tour of the workshop and gunsmithing area. They are all true craftsmen, producung each gun by hand.

If I were to switch trap guns I would definately look to Kolar for that one as well.

John

8. RAScott

RAScott Member

I bought mine 2 years ago, and like mentioned above if you keep your head on the stock the targets are gone. It is a very light recoil. I have a TA MAX. I also toured the factory they produce 300 guns a year.
    Quality is what you get. If your planning on shooting competively then Kolar is the one to consider. Drop out trigger,Stock configurations to fit almost everyone, service department second to none.

I went to the grand in 08 and I seen allot of them there, shooting. Maybe because they are made localy. I would recommend highly if it is in your budget.

Bob S

9. birdogs

birdogs TS Member

I have had a .740 bore gun for several years. I absolutely love it! I am now over 70 years old and I never weighed more than 160 pounds yet I never felt the gun was heavy.

Kolar could write the book on customer service. It is simply the best, not only in the gun business but in any industry I have dealt withn in my long business and personal experience. Every person I have ever spoken to at the factory has been terrific. I have had 2 minor mods made to my gun, both were executed quickly and perfectky. In both cases I had the gun back in less that a week from whent I shipped it.

Also, the gun is so well designed and made that it requitres almost no maintenance - no annual trigger "service" at better than $600.00, for example.

Try one. If you can shoot it well, you will never need or want another gun.

10. chipking

chipking TS Member

I had a Kolar Top Single Trap combo. Great quality gun and great service. Ran my very first 100 in singles with that gun. I moved on to a different gun not because of any problem with the gun but because I got a case of the had to haves. If I decide to change what I am shooting now I would go back to the Kolar in a heartbeat.

--- Chip King ---

11. Lostbyone

Lostbyone TS Member

12. goose2

goose2 Well-Known Member

I own a Max T/A which I been shooting for a year now. After about 5000 rounds I started to shoot some really good scores with it. Along with those really good scores I found myself having to work really hard to get them. The reason is they are a heavy built like a tank gun that will last two lifetimes and then some. As stated above there customer service is as good as it gets. I have since moved on to another brand because of the weight. Kolar builds a top notch gun. Looking at the boards I think there resale value is not quite to snuff with the other top guns. It seems the people wanting to sale them have to keep lowering the price and it takes a while. Why, who knows as they are as good as it gets.
    Remember, it must fit or it will be a big bad learning mistake.

13. Old Cowboy

Old Cowboy Active Member

Heavy........feels like swinging a 2x4.

John C. Saubak

14. showmeapair

showmeapair TS Member

I have had my Kolar Max T/A combo for two years and I love the gun and the customer service from Jeff Mainland at Kolar is awesome.

Jeff did a remarkable job fitting my stock at the factory and while I was there he made me feel like I was Kolar's most important customer. The felt recoil with this gun is negligible even when shooting 1 1/8oz 1250fps loads, which all has to do with the great stock fitting. The head up shooting design of the Max T/A allows the shooter to pick up the target faster.

With the action closed and wrapping my hand around the receiver, it feels perfectly balanced with equivalent mass in front and behind my hand. The gun shoots where I look and the only attention it has needed is the forearm needed tightening.

I highly recommend getting fitted.

Ferdi Abraham

15. daddiooo

daddiooo TS Supporters TS Supporters

For those who claim Kolar is heavy.....put some tire weights in your shoes.

Sounds like somebody needs to go back to a BT-1 or TM-99.

Shot my best scores with what he called a 2 x 4.

Kolar wrote the book on customer service....period.

Why settle for 2nd best?

16. alfermann66

alfermann66 Member

Keep in mind opinions are just that. I personally didn't care for the Kolar that I tried and bought an Alfermann instead. In any case, they are heavy and even if that doesn't bother you it may as you age. My Alfermann is 10.5 lbs., but didn't bother me until I started having heart problems at age 66. I shoot a TM-1, now.

Buz

17. matttrapn

matttrapn Active Member

I've had my Max T-A now about 6-months. 32"-O/U, 34"-Top-single. Gun is built right............ Try one, I think you will love it.

Matt Nicol

18. goose2

goose2 Well-Known Member

It is very funny how people can get offended. In reading my post I never once said my Max T/A was no good. I love the gun other than the gun is heavy. They may not feel heavy to you but they do feel heavy to me especially after 100 or so rounds and a bad back complete with surgery.
    That's all, I still have it and who knows if and ever I will sale it but Please read my lips My Kolar Max T/A is a fabulous gun built like a tank but it is to heavy for "ME" so I have since moved on to a different brand that suits "ME" better.
    Sorry for the rant but some people just cant stand not being an idiot.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.