1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Kolar O/U Hangers for POI change

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Bird Grinder, Aug 12, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bird Grinder

Bird Grinder Member

NSXER,
    Have you checked your barrels with a bore mic? Looks like you have the .750 barrel choke tubes. All the .740 bore chokes are shorter and blued that I've ever seen.

2. sean justice

sean justice TS Member

good looking gun.

3. chipking

chipking TS Member

NSXER I bought my Kolar Combo used and it came with all of the mid hangers and 3 of the front hangers (#1, #2 and #6 bought by the previous owner) I played around quite a bit with my 30" barrels to get the performance I wanted in a doubles gun. I decided that I needed a new front hanger and contacted Kolar. After a long phone conversation I ordered the front hanger that was recommended (#4) and made the change myself. They were right on with their recommendation and the change was fairly painless. I will tell you that based on my experience setting the POI is more of an art than a science. Changing the mid hanger WILL change the upper barrel POI slightly and then changing the front hanger can change both. And you can actually put a bend in the lower barrel by using a higher mid hanger and a low number front hanger. There appears to be about 3" of change per number on the front hangers. You can make the changes yourself but I would listen to what they recommend. Besides if they set it the way you want at most you will only need to pay for one set of hangers instead of buying several to do it yourself.

--- Chip King ---

4. chipking

chipking TS Member

NSXER my problem when I started was that when I bought the Combo used it had the .083 mid and the #6 front hanger in. For me (when I had the stock comb setup right for my top single, 9 inches high at 35 yards) that made the bottom bore of the O/U 4 inches LOW at 35 yards and the top barrel was about 10 inches high. In order to go to a lower number front hanger (remember he only had a #1 and #2) I either had to put a slight warp in the lower barrel OR put the .060 mid hanger in. When I tried this my top barrel was about 7 inches high at 35 and the lower barrel was 10 or 12 inches high. I finally ordered the #4 and with the .060 both barrels are at the same POI at 35 yards (8 inches high). IIRC the .740 bore was the original bore diameter on Kolars, some time around 2003-2004 they began offering .750 as an option and then it became the standard in 2005 I think. Don't take the time frame as gospel.

--- Chip King ---

5. Jon Reitz

Jon Reitz Well-Known Member

6. Jon Reitz

Jon Reitz Well-Known Member

Russ - Please email me on this subject. I need your help / input.

Thanks,
    Jon Reitz

7. chipking

chipking TS Member

Russ I know how you feel. My T/S Combo was made in 2000. I WANT the new T/A some kinda bad. After all it has all those neat adjustments that can keep me occupied tweeking for at least a season ;o)BUT I am shooting this one so well that changing guns for any reason other than a failure would be VERY VERY DUMB and paying $5000 for the privilage would be DUMBER. BUT OH man do I want one.

I raise my comb to get the high POI that I like but had thought about a Moneymaker or Keensight adjustable rib but I am so used to shooting it this way now that I suspect those would drive me nuts for a while.

--- Chip King ---

8. j2jake

j2jake Well-Known Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

adjust poi kolar shotgun