1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Kolar Max T/S

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by joneseboy, Nov 14, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. joneseboy

joneseboy Member

I am looking into buying a new Kolar Max T/S real soon but was wondering who owns/runs Kolar. I've tested one and they fit great and built like a tank. I also know they built the 90T for Remington and that they are located in WIS. But could someone tell me more about this Company. Thanks Joneseboy

2. Border Bandit

Border Bandit Well-Known Member

Absolutely the best! Best service, and a great gun. Go to Racine and Get Jeff to fit your gun. You've made a great decision.

all the best....mike

3. wlc

wlc Member

Here's the website http://www.kolararms.com/

4. DIXIE SPECIAL 25

DIXIE SPECIAL 25 Lifes too short not to shoot a K-80... TS Supporters

Buy a used one and let somebody else take the lickin..

5. joneseboy

joneseboy Member

The other night I spoke with the gentleman that I believe found/owns Kolar. I left a message that I had a few questions and he called be back in the evening. He was very polite and professional and I can tell he was being real. Would anyboby know who I am talking about as my forgetful mind went blank with his name. I did check there web but could not find any names.

6. notquite27

notquite27 TS Member

Don Mainland was the founder of Kolar (probably the person you spoke to). He purchased the name and the rights to build the original Kolar tubes from Larry Kolar of Ithaca, NY. ASfter building the 90T for Remington, the company designed and built the Kolar gun that you see today. Don's son Jeff now heads up the day to day operations with John Ramagli (Rags to those who know him) as the President, Sales Manager, and all around bon Vivant! This company and its employees should be the model for customer service in the industry, or any manufacturing industry for that matter. I've put many thousands of rounds through Kolar skeet, trap, and sporting guns over the years with almost non-existent problems. Any minor problems were fixed with a phone call.

Buy a Kolar...you will never be sorry.

No, I don't work for them. I just admire what an American company can still do when they put their minds to it!

7. joneseboy

joneseboy Member

notquite27
    That is well said about customer service and what an American Co. can do if it put its mind to it. And thanks for the names. Now I am 99.99% sure it will be a Kolar!

8. headhunter

headhunter Well-Known Member

Great gun and company. let me add that .01% You won't regret it.

9. Riverrunt

Riverrunt Member

Jonesboy

You have a pm

John Harden

10. SeldomShoots

SeldomShoots Active Member

Be sure to shoulder a T/S with all of their stocks, unless you know what dimensions you need. They make 6 different dimensioned buttstocks. I ordered one with a number 3 and like it well so far. Its a very comfortable gun to shoot and gentle on the felt recoil, in my opinion. I went with the .740 bore rather than .750, but that is a personal preferrence. I am still learning the gun and I have shot a couple of good scores and some bad ones, however, that is not the gun's fault. I am well satisfied with the finish and overall design and quality of the gun. I think for about $900 you can have one fit to you, but I am not sure on that.

Additionally, I bought mine through Riverrunt a.k.a. John H. He is very knowledgeable and accomodating when it comes to Kolar sales. He showed me a thing or two about shooting, although my scores indicate that my retention of good shooting advice is short term.

Good luck on your decision, John E.

11. StonewallRacing

StonewallRacing Well-Known Member

Jones,

Best thing you can do is set up an appointment in Racine and have the stock fitted to you. You won't believe the level of service!

You can swing different barrel weights and find exactly what feels right to you.

SW

12. joneseboy

joneseboy Member

When I talked to don Mainland I told him I couldn't make it up there where they are at, so he asked me what I shoot and LOP, body frame and weight and said the #1 should do fine. He even said he can have my stock sized to 14 and 1/8 since this is what my BT99 is at for no extra charge. I weight 150 at 5ft 6in.

13. goose2

goose2 Well-Known Member

Made in America and as good as it gets. I absolutely love mine.

14. ILClaysshooter01

ILClaysshooter01 Member

I had them make a set of tubes for my Remington 3200 skeet gun and they do excellent work and if you can drive there you can meet with the staff and they explain how every think works. They will also stand by their work if you need any service. If I was buying a new gun from them I would definitely go there to meet their staff. You can choose the wood you want and have the gun fit. They cost to much to get order one.

15. Perazzi_MX8

Perazzi_MX8 Well-Known Member

I ran into Jeff Mainland of (KOLAR ARMS) in Tuscon at the Autumn Grand. We had a nice chat and I was glad to hear his dad Don Mainland at 81 is still riding his bike and doing well. Don was an accomplished racer in cycling and built frames for Schwinn in 1972 for the Olympics. I'll never forget Don because he gave me my first job while I was in High School at Pioneer Products Inc. at the age of 16. Yes, back then I was old enough to work in a Machine Shop and I made $1.60 an hour to start. If I would have stayed there I would have a really cool shotgun now, but I know Don would have made me make it myself. He always had faith in me and encouraged me to do things I thought I couldn't. He was a great boss and role model for any young man. Many thanks, Don.

Duane

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.