1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Kolar Max T/A or K80

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by illiniphil, Jan 1, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. illiniphil

illiniphil Member

Its going to be a great New Year for me as I just got the AOK from my wife for a new trap gun (sorry guys, but this has made for a great 30 years of marriage). I am down to either choosing a new top-single Kolar Max T/A or a K80 and whom to purchase from as I want someone (dealer or factory) that will spend alot of time focusing on proper gun fit, etc. I was wondering everyones thoughts between the two.

As I am just a couple of hours away from Kolar in Wisconsin, I called them and was very impressed with the level of service they offered regarding having me come up and fitting the gun to me directly at the factory. I plan on calling Krieghoff to ask the same questions to see what they have to say.

So which is it Kolar or Krieghoff?

2. ramen39

ramen39 Member

I've been to Kolar 3 times and their service is outstanding. I guess I would think that whichever gun you shoot best would be the deciding factor. Hopefully you will have the opportunity to try both.
    Roy

3. BrowningPotato

BrowningPotato TS Member

The first time I shot a K-80 I was, quite literally, in LOVE. It was all I could think about, it felt like an extension of my body. As I visited several gun stores to stare at the beautiful gun I would someday be able to afford, I incidently picked up a Kolar and since then have had the same difficult choice as you. They are both magnificent tools and I honestly do not think you would be disappointed with either.

When the day comes that I can actually afford one of these beauties I know I will enjoy every minute of trying to make a decision.

4. threedeuces

threedeuces TS Member

I cant speak much about the K80 as I have never put one to my shoulder. Some of my shooting buddies have them and like them. I chose the Max T/A because most of my friends have them and I like the way they feel. Personally I would not trade my Max T/A for two of any kind of gun. That's how well I like it.

5. ramorton

ramorton TS Supporters TS Supporters

I have owned both. The Kolar feels exceptionally good to me. In fact, I sold my Kolar to a freind and bought a Trap Special. I liked the Trap Special but could never get the stock to fit me. I am left handed. Traded the Trap Special for a factory left handed MX2000/10. I am now trading my MX2000/10 to my friend that bought my Kolar. I will have Phil Simms build me a custom stock for the Kolar. I have owned 4 Krieghoff K-80. Enjoyed all of them. However, there was always a stock fit issue. Please shoot both guns. Kolar does offer a custom stock. Jeff will do you a good job on fitting. Jeff and Rags built my gun with fixed chokes. Kolar has excellent service and will try to help you in any way. With Krieghoff, you get it the way it comes. My Kolar is a left handed Max Ta. If you are right handed, you can shoot the guns at a big shoot and then decide. Most dealers will have used ones for you to try. Hope this helps, Roy

6. sernv99

sernv99 Active Member

Kolar charges additional fee for stock fitting and custom dimensions....Krieghoff, while they don't have stockfitters at their Ottsville location, if you give them your stock dimensions, they will craft a stock on those dimensions. In addition, you can go to Ottsville and pick out the grade of wood you want just like you can at Kolar.

7. k-gunguy

k-gunguy Member

My Kolar is a MAX T/A, softest shooting gun I have had,and I have had 2 K=80's.
    Quality of both,exceptional,ease of shooting goes to the Kolar.
    GAZ

8. short shucker

short shucker TS Member

illiniphil,

Ultimately you are the one writting the check so get the one you want. If this is your first big gun purchase I'd suggest a little time with both. There may be one aspect of a particular gun that makes it work for you. The same could be said the other way, there may be someing that is a big turnoff as well.

For me, if I had Jeff and the guys at Kolar in my backyard it would be a great plus.

Enjoy your new toy which ever one it may be.

ss

9. Bird Grinder

Bird Grinder Member

If I was a couple of hours away from KOLAR it would be a no brainer, KOLAR all the way. I have a TA Max and love it. I used to shoot a K80, sold it for the Kolar and I haven't looked back yet. The Kolar put me back on the 27 and is keeping me there. I haven't had a reduction in the last 3000 Handicap targets.

10. 7771

7771 Active Member

Why not a Perazzi MX 2000 Combo.

11. kolartarget

kolartarget Member

call me I will make you one heck of a deal on a kolar max ta (216)903-6924 this gun has both trigger hammers with it release and pull.

12. ramorton

I have a MX2000/10 combo now.

13. Setterman

Setterman Well-Known Member

Try both, then buy the gun without the wood and have Phil Simms, Wenig, Tom Smith, or one of the custom Trap Stock makers build your wood. To do it right, you should shoot the wood in the rough for a month in decent weather before finalizing your dimensions. Been there, done that.

14. ramorton

Setterman, you are correct.

15. Beretta687EELL

Beretta687EELL Well-Known Member

Both are excellent guns, but they are very different. I strongly suggest that you try shooting them both before making your purchase. You will likely find that one will feel like a dream to you and the other a club. I have the Kolar, with a PFS. If I lived as close to Kolar as you do, I would have gone there for the fitted wood stock. I love mine and would never consider shooting something else. Bill Malcolm

16. phirel

phirel TS Member

Living close to the Kolar plant would be a big plus if you got a Kolar. Both are fine guns. To me, one advantage of the K-80 is that you can change where the gun shoots without moving the rib or installing different hangers.

Bill- I have a PFS on my K-80 and would never replace it with a set of custom wood. One can buy a new Kolar or K-80 with a plain forend and put on a PFT. Then you can have the forend and PFS painted red like mine and others can make fun of you like they do me. It would be less expensive than a custom stock.

Pat Ireland

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

kolar or k80