1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Kolar Max Sporting - Opinions/Thoughts ?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by JPSmall, Oct 15, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JPSmall

JPSmall Member

Hello Everyone:

I am considering upgrading from a 30 inch stepped rib Kolar sporting to a 30 inch Kolar Sporting Max. I'm curious what peoples thoughts are on the Kolar Max Sporting or other high rib guns in general. According to the Kolar website, the Kolar Max should way about a 1/4 lb less that my current gun. Does this translate into more felt recoil?

I'm also curious about whether people went the high rib route and then transitioned back. If so, what were the reasons?

thanks.
    Matt

2. Remdog1187

Remdog1187 Well-Known Member

Check out the numerous sights that offer high end sporting guns. The market is flooded with USED HIGH RIB guns that were marketed for sporting clays. Kolar, Krieghoff, Blaser etc. There's a reason for that. Sporting clays courses have alot of dropping targets. Trying to shoot dropping targets with a high rib makes as much sense as shooting trap with a flat rib 50/50 POI. Yes it can be done, but it will not maximize your long term outcomes.

Try the Kolar S/C (standard flat taper) model with the flat rib vs the Max. Then decide.

Jeff K.

3. Setterman

Setterman Well-Known Member

Jeff, POI is POI whether it is from a high rib barrel or a flat rib barrel. If you shoot a falling target with a given bead/barrel/target arrangement it won't matter unless you shoot a different POI from one of the guns. Most high rib guns adjust from 50/50 to 70/30 or more.

The benefit of a high rib is as much about keeping your head erect as POI.

If you don't know what POI works for you, why buy a high ribbed sporting gun? You won't shoot any better than you did with the low rib. However, if you need a higher POI and prefer to shoot stacked beads, the high adjustable rib is the way to go!

4. Remdog1187

Of course an adjustable comb which was not mentioned would be of great benefit.
    This combined with the flat taper rib is the ticket for sporting clays or Fitasc. Look at where Krieghoff is going with their new Parcours model with flat rib & adj. comb.

Stacked beads? You should not be looking at the beads. You should be looking at the target. Stacked beads are for trapshooters, which is fine if that is your method. Stare at your barrel/beads in sporting clays and you will be very inconsistent.

5. bubbaw

bubbaw Member

Most of the top sporting clay shooters are shooting high rib guns! As stated before, you can adjust them to shoot where ever you want them to. I moved from a flat to a high rib and will never go back. I believe it is more a function of the guy shooting the gun verse the rib. William

6. Skeeterzx

Skeeterzx Member

Jeff....please point out where the market is flooded with high rib sporters. I buy and sell guns all of the time and I don't find this to be true at all. Do you have any specific instances? I buy guns from Robert Paxton, John Herkowitz, Joel Etchen, Chris Maest, pretty much everyone. Where are you seeing a flood of high rib sporters?

7. Remdog1187

All of the .com sights you mentioned have numerous high rib used sporters for sale vs flat ribs. Guns Int'l & Kolar also.

8. Skeeterzx

Skeeterzx Member

Fraid not. I frequent every major site on a DAILY basis. That is an absolutely inaccurate statement. There are way fewer used high rib sporters out there as opposed to flat rib sporters. Check your facts before making statements. Here are the facts, Jeff:

Used high rib vs. flat rib sporters from each site (Pgun, Kgun, Kolar, Blaser combined):

Pacific Sporting Arms: High Rib 2 - Flat Rib 9
    Paxton Arms: High Rib High Rib 2 - Flat Rib 10
    Clay Target Sports: High Rib 2 - Flat Rib 5
    Joel Etchen Guns: High Rib 0 - Flat Rib 0
    High Grade Shooters: High Rib 0 - Flat Rib 2

Guns International, Gun Broker, Guns America.....They all lean the same way. The market is not flooded with high rib sporters. Just the way it is.

9. StonewallRacing

StonewallRacing Well-Known Member

Kolar makes three different heights of ribs. the Max Sporting uses the lowest of the three. It's really a low-profile adjustable similar to the K-80 ACS or the Perazzi 2000/3.

My son is currently shooting a T/A with the same low-profile rib as the Sporting with a trap stock on it and it's a nice package.

You can get it in different bores/barrel weights if your worried about weight/recoil.

SW

10. Remdog1187

Skeeterzx.....you are skewing the facts like a good democrat. On Paxton alone there are (9) Krieghoff, (8) Kolar and (6) Blaser. That includes high rib skeet & sporting. I pointed out that high ribs are dime a dozen and you don't like that. Your prerogative.

11. Setterman

Setterman Well-Known Member

Remdog, where did I say "look at the beads"?

I most definitely prefer a stacked bead platform in lieu of space between the beads, also known as "shooting off the end your barrels".

It's obvious you lack some experience with high rib guns, or you don't understand that some people don't shoot a 50/50 or 60/40 gun. Higher ribbed sporting guns are the rage for those of us that float the target a bit. It allows a view of the target on nearly all presentations.

And no, the market is not flooded with used high rib/adjustable rib sporting guns.

12. Skeeterzx

Skeeterzx Member

Go back and read your post again.....the market is flooded with USED HIGH RIB guns. Those are your words. That is absolutely not true. You are looking at NEW guns. There are plenty of new high rib guns out there because they sell. You seem to be a person that doesn't realize that these sites are public domains and any user on here can look at the used guns on these sites and clearly see that you have no earthly idea what you are talking about. If you want to walk back your post about the market being flooded with 'USED HIGH RIB' guns, that's fine. But your statement isn't true. Sorry, but those are the facts....spin em any way you like, but they won't change. People can look at the sites and decide who is blowing smoke out their back side....

13. Remdog1187

As I pointed out they are used guns. The slick "marketing" of the high rib has created the rage to sell more guns. They sell because you and others are out there blowing smoke on the fine attributes of the "High rib for sporting". Spin it any way you want. You obviously have something to gain.

JPSmall started the thread by asking for opinions on high rib guns. I gave mine and you don't like it. Too bad!

14. Skeeterzx

Skeeterzx Member

I shoot a flat rib Blaser......which I bought after selling my flat rib MX2000.

More incorrect facts. You're batting 1000 in that category.

15. Remdog1187

So you shoot a flat rib Blaser? You gave up a P-gun for that? OK. No high rib for you, huh? Why not?

16. Skeeterzx

Skeeterzx Member

I can shoot any gun I like. I have owned many guns. I'll shoot another Perazzi, another K-80, another whatever before it's all over. I buy and sell guns. That's my hobby.

As for high rib sporters, I have owned several. I prefer a flat rib. That's just my personal preference. My son shoots a high rib Blaser and he loves it. Shoot what you like. Who cares. If you don't like it, sell it to me!!

So, I have nothing to loose or gain here. High rib sporters work. In my opinion....based on personal experience....it all boils down to head position and what kind of sight picture you prefer. That's it. Nice to have options and high rib sporters have their place.

Those are my opinions on the 'high rib'. Your opinion to JPSmall included a false statement that the market is flooded with used high rib sporters and that shooting a high rib will not 'maximize your long term outcomes'. High rib sporters are more than a so called marketing scheme. As for long term success, explain that to Gebben Miles who won a national sporting clays title and a FITASC world title with his high rib K-80.....

Done arguing with you. People can look at the sites I outlined and make up their own mind as to the state of the used sporting clays gun market regarding the high rib.

17. claybrdr

claybrdr Well-Known Member

Try to convince William Walton that high rib sporters don't work. He's currently got over 300 punches in Master Class!

18. Riverrunt

Riverrunt Member

You have a PM

John Harden

19. Dickgshot

Dickgshot Well-Known Member

Besides "bubbaw" one of the best shooters around, there's a gent by the name of
    Gebben Miles, who went to a high rib Krieghoff, and a month later won the
    National Sporting Clays championship (against 1400 other shooters)

Last August, he won the World FITASC championship against the best shooters in
    the world, including George Digweed, with the same high rib Krieghoff.
    He doesn't have any problem with ANY targets - rising, falling, or anywhere in-between.

Edit: I see that Skeeterzx talked about this in a previous post. I watched Miles at the World FITASC, and his style would seem to favor a high rib, as his head is erect and the comb of the stock makes contacts very low on his face.
    The high rib probably brings the POA up to his eye level. Contrast that to
    Anthony Matarese, who "stock crawls" quite a bit with his flat rib Beretta 391.

20. dt10john

dt10john Member

I shoot a flat rib beretta 303 with a Wenig New American Stock. 50/50 impact.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
anthony matarese flat rib
kolar max skeet review
kolar max skeet reviews

kolar max skeet vs sporting

kolar max sporting vs max skeet difference
kolar sporting clays options
krieghoff parcours vs kolar max lite sporting
krieghoff vs kolar