1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Kolar hard to shoot?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by awbenz, Jun 15, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. awbenz

awbenz TS Member

i know they are well made and have owned one. Jess Anderson from Texas, Pete McCall shoot there's well but Most I know really struggle with there's. I would like some input on why. No 7 1/2 or 8's doesn't matter!

2. awbenz

awbenz TS Member

i know they are well made and have owned one. Jess Anderson from Texas, Pete McCall shoot there's well but Most I know really struggle with there's. I would like some input on why. No 7 1/2 or 8's doesn't matter!

3. Jeff P

Jeff P Well-Known Member

I know guys who would dispute the "well made" contention....

I saw one that split the barrel the last 16 inches. I'm no barrel expert, nor am I a metalurgist, but damn if it didn't look real thin to me.

Gun had never anything but an STS or Nitro factory shell.

And Kolar refused to do anything about it.

4. chipking

chipking TS Member

My Kolar was a good gun and when things broke the guys at Kolar took care of it fast. I shot my first 100 with that gun BUT (and this may sound strange) if you believe that an inanimate object like a gun can have a personality (and I do)the Kolar could best be described as bland and dull. It was just a tool that neither hindered nor aided my trapshooting. Where my Berettas and Perazzis were and my Caesar Guerini is quick and snappy and seem to want to jump to the bird, my K-80 was temperamental and un-forgiving, my Seitz would fight me if a bird dipped and I needed to get down on it. The Kolar would just sit there waiting for me to do something.

ALL IN THE HEAD sure but real none the less

--- Chip King ---

5. SMITH47

SMITH47 Member

Chip
    Without bashing brands of guns you did a great job of stating how you FEEL about certain guns. I feel the same as you about Perazzi & Guerini ..

ernie

6. jbmi

jbmi Well-Known Member

Very happy with my Kolar, fits me well, actually makes up for some of my mistakes, like it better than the Krieghoffs, Brownings and Remingtons I've owned and shot, and yes, I believe 99% of this is mind games.

7. AEP

AEP Member

I bought a Kolar about 3 months ago. I went through some tuff times with it. I contribute this to the guns extra weight over my Browning Cynergy. It was a noticeable difference in weight.

With my Cynergy I went from shooting a lot of 25 staights and some 50 straights to 23's. I was not a happy camper. I spent time at the pattern board making sure the Kolar shot in the same place as the Cynergy. It did. The Kolar felt better on the shoulder and mounted easier. The Kolar was a much better fitting gun over my Cynergy.

I shot the Cynergy well, and I was getting pretty upset with my performance with the Kolar.

I finally took the Kolar and started holding it to my shoulder every nite. After about a week things started to change. Iam getting better with the Kolar.

People have said it takes 5,000-10,000 rounds to get used to a gun. I don't know if I buy into all that. I think everyone id different. For me it has taken 2.5 months to start shooting the Kolar to my acceptable level. I'm still not at the level of my Cynergy and as long as I make progress I'm happy.

The Kolar is a fine gun. Is it better than my Cynergy.....define better. There are a lot of Brownings on the line and they have few problems.

My personal opinion is Browning is just as good as any other gun on the range. It bils down to what an individule shooter wants and can afford.

That's my .02 worth

Andy

8. headhunter

headhunter Well-Known Member

I think you have to get use to the weight of the gun. I think my shooting has improved with it, but it takes time to build up stamina with the extra weight. Best gun I've had in my hands. Quality equipment! Stay with it and don't switch from gun to gun.

9. bjk1972

bjk1972 Member

I'm with headhunter on this one. I've shot 10lbs 90t for 15 years.I like a heavy gun for smoothness and soft recoil.To me my Kolar feels very similar and a little more responsive. Similar scores as well.

10. daddiooo

daddiooo TS Supporters TS Supporters

Jeff P,

I'm sure there's more to that story than is being told here. Possible wad stuck in the barrel or other obstruction present?? With over 7 years of shooting Kolars and dealing with the factory direct I find it hard to believe that they refused to do anything about it. If there was ANY product or manufacturing defect I feel sure they'd step up to the pump. Without trashing any other brand of gun, and I've owned most all of them, Kolar took me places I couldn't get to with others.

Respectfully submitted.

Dave

Kolar.....over engineered at every turn and American made.

11. goose2

goose2 Well-Known Member

I had a Kolar Max T/A, liked it and started shooting it well. Had to go a different direction because it was just to damn heavy for my sorry ass back. In a round a bout way I now shoot a K 80 and like it much better.
    good luck.

12. Jeff P

Jeff P Well-Known Member

Dave....

Understand, I'm not bashing Kolar. Perhaps it was a manufacturing defect - the barrel looked damn thin to me - things happen. No problem.

I was there when it happened. The gentleman in question shoots NOTHING but factory STS and Nitro shells. Nothing. ONLY those. Perhaps it was a bad shell. He had no bloops or funny sounding loads, until all of sudden he did....and his barrel was split wide open.

It wasn't bulged anyplace...it was just...seperated. Split open in a straight line, right down the 'bottom' of the barrel.

He called Kolar. I'm not privy to those conversations...but he had to hire a lawyer. John wouldn't help him out...which I find very suprising, too...I own a set of Kolar tubes, and I talked to him on the phone when I bought them. Nice guy.

Anyway, this has drug on for close to a year now...finally, my friend is buying a new barrel.

My opinion (and its only MY OPINION)...the barrel is thin. Or he had a bad factory shell. things happen. Kolar missed a great opportunity to step up and help a guy out on a barrel and generate a TON of positive publicity for themselves.

In my mind, any manufacturing issue they might have had with this particular barrel isn't a big deal...what happened after that was.

13. below 0

below 0 TS Member

I've owned and shot one for the past 16 years and my answer is a Kolar is about as hard to shoot as a Cadillac is to drive. Odie

14. 635 G

635 G Well-Known Member

I know several shooters who bought Kolars, the guns could not work for them. They wnet to other brands of high end guns. It took them a whilke to get into their old form -after trying to conform to the Kolar.

If a gun doesn't work for you, remember you're not married to the gun.

Also, alot of the shooters are older and they really cant
    expect to completely have the strength to shoot a 10 lb gun for 300 rds. An 8 lb gun or an auto-loader may be the way to go.

Phil Berkowitz

15. Straight99

Straight99 Member

This might help. When I bought my Kolar in 07 right from the factory it came with with Mod. IM. and LT Full chokes. When I asked for a Full choke Jeff told me that the Kolars are choked tighter than most trap guns and I would not need the Full. Well I bought the full because I was sure I would need it as that was the only one I used in my Browning. I have found the full Kolar choke to be to tight and I miss to many and have gone to the IM for everything. Even from the 27 yard line. Jeff was right. Try a more open choke for the Kolar.

16. Big Jack

Big Jack Well-Known Member

I don't care what you buy, it doesn't work at it best for you until your really used to it if it fits right. Frank Little once told me to shoot 5000 rounds thru a new gun to get used to it and if you can't shoot it by then admit defeat..start over with the basics.

Big Jack

17. SMITH47

SMITH47 Member

you gotta like your gun. like the way it looks, like the way it feels, like the way it shoots, and like the way it fits. look forward to time with it ! mine does all the above so i don't care what kind it is or what anyone else thinks >>>>

18. birdogs

birdogs TS Member

Anotherb point that I have not seen mentioned is that the coast to shoot a Kolar is negligible compared to other high-end guns which advise a costly "annual service".

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

nyt shell kolar