1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Kolar Gun Opinions

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by HotRodA10, Jul 8, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. HotRodA10

HotRodA10 Member

Hello All,

I was wondering, and I'm sure there are, if some of you can give me your opinions on the Kolar guns? I've shot both Krieghoff and Perazzis, and I was wondering how these guns compare. Thanks.

Rod

2. nomoloscofoso

nomoloscofoso Member

Shoot one.

3. goose2

goose2 Well-Known Member

I owned a new max ta combo and they are a fine gun. I think they are as good as it gets. I now shoot a krieghoff which I like the balance of much better. There are two things I think the kolar has against it. #1 the weight is way to heavy for my liking and #2 there resale value is not near as strong as some of the others.

4. pumpernck

pumpernck Member

I have a 2 Krieghoffs and 2 Kolars and I would say that they are both exceptionally fine guns. Service on both has been superb and they last a long long time without much servicing needed. They are both built like tanks, with the kolar being a little more heavy IMO. That is both good and bad. More weight means less felt recoil to you. An important thing when shooting 200-300 targets a day. The resale of the Krieghoff is better, but that means that you can get a good deal on a Kolar combo for around $6.5k-8.5k depending on condition. Cannot go wrong with either as far as I am concerned. Good luck with your decision. Pete

5. paul7177

paul7177 Member

Just my opinion.........
    Compared to my K-80, the Kolar felt like I was swinging dead weight!

6. daddiooo

daddiooo TS Supporters TS Supporters

If you contact the Kolar factory they can build the gun to your weight requirements. (.750 bore barrels, lite weight receiver, weight balance between your hands, etc)If you do that, it'll be the last gun you'll ever need to buy.

I would urge you to shoot one before buying anything. If you're going to the Grand go into Kolar and see Jeff Mainland, they have several you can test drive.

Good luck.

7. jbmi

jbmi Well-Known Member

I own a Kolar and have worked construction for many years, I can honest say after swinging hundreds of 2x4's I've never noticed anything near the same feeling. Not sure where that saying comes from, but I bet it's not from someone who's actually swung both.
    I've shot all three, when you're talking weight it really is oz's not lb's. If a few oz's were the problem I'd only carry one exta shell to the line with me instead of two.

8. Sky Buster

Sky Buster Sky Buster TS Supporters

I thought my Silver Seitz was the top of the mountain
    until I bought a Kolar. Great gun!

9. smsnyder

smsnyder Well-Known Member

Jeff Mainland is a super guy. He went out of his way for me when i bought my Kolar Max. The gun is a little heavy but i like it that way, Less recoil and the gun swings nice. Had it about 2 1/2 weeks now and broke 5 straights with it.

10. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Banned User Banned TS Supporters

I've got an exceptional combo for sale if anyones interested!!

11. freeheel

freeheel TS Member

Kolar-Built in USA.

12. headhunter

headhunter Well-Known Member

Kolar Baby .!!!!!!

13. Beretta687EELL

Beretta687EELL Well-Known Member

Mine shoots way better than I do. A friend of mine says I don't deserve to own it. Fantastic folks to deal with.

You should shoot one. Bill Malcolm

14. Slugo

Slugo Member

Neither of the K-guns can match the swing dynamics of the P-gun. Just my opinion...

15. birdogs

birdogs TS Member

Weight is a minor consideration in most cases. Balance is the issue and I find the Kolar balances well. I have shot everything but I own a Kolar. I find it very comfortable to shoot. I am in my 70s' and weight 165lbs. I don't get fatigued shooting 200 - 300 targets in a day and then coming back the next day to do it again.

Everyone like his brand of gun, car, boat etc, best and will fight tooth and nail to convince you of it. Objectivity and honesty is not to be found in such an environment. Nor is perfection.

16. Ted K.

Ted K. Member

jktphd -

Something's missing from your story. It's totally inconsistent with my experience and that of everyone else who has commented on this BB. And it doesn't make any sense.

How could Kolar avoid liability under their published warranty for a barrel that split after less than one box of factory loads? Please tell us what Kolar SAID entitled them not to honor their warranty.

FWIW, a close friend of mine recently bought a new Kolar and found a tiny crack in the stock. I could barely see it. Kolar has agreed to replace the stock completely. If that's their practice, why are they refusing to replace a barrel that split after one box of factory loads?

Come on, let's hear the whole story.

Ted K.

17. kraiza

kraiza Active Member

All the Kolar's that I have shot or handled were great guns. The only thing that stop me from getting one was the weight. I just like a lighter gun. Not saying I will not buy on some day. Kolar make a top shelf shotgun.

18. creek

creek Member

Every time I hear a story starting with "I knew a guy once that............", tells me only BS follows. I own a Kolar and have met with the folks at the Kolar factory and know that they would never treat anyone that way.
    My Kolar Elite skeet gun has been my favorite for many reasons, inlcuding the fact that they will help me on anything that may go wrong with the gun, other than shooting it poorly. I have a very nice K32 skeet gun as well and prefer the the Kolar for balance and swing.

CREEK

19. mooney

mooney Member

Owned a Kolar combo. Great gun except the release trigger keopt going light on me. Had to trade it in on a K-80 Trap Special. Wish I had kept the Kolar. I know the trigger problem could have been resolved. Jeff Mainland made the stock for me; not a finer person to deal with anywhere. The remanider of their staff is great on customer service as well.

Mooney-Glenn Wedding

20. birdogs

birdogs TS Member

When I had a problem with the release trigger occasionally "pulling through", I sent it to Keith at Kolar. He rebuilt is and I had it back within a week. It works great now.

You will never find a better company to deal with. They should write a book on customer service.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.