1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Kolar*** Give me top ten reasons to own ***

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Babalooey, Sep 12, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Babalooey

Babalooey TS Member

Hey Kolar fans/critics. I am a sporting clays shooter and am on the fence weather to get a K-80 or Kolar, 32" sporting clays gun for next season. I know this site is loaded with people in the know about Kolar and Krieghoff.

I have owned a K-80 32" sporting gun in the past (purchase new), the dynamics were great...But I had problems with fan firing (dealer and Krieghoff were never able to cure), Nickle peeling on receiver (replaced by Krieghoff), bulged barrel chamber (barrel replaced by Krieghoff), Cracked forend wood (replaced by Krieghoff). I ended up selling gun because of the continued fan-firing. I am willing to try the K-80 again because of the swing dynamics but am very cautious because of my past experiance. Did I just get a lemon or are my problems commnon?

On to the Kolar. I have also shot a 30" Kolar sporting gun (early serial number) and it fan-fired a few times on me to. Are the swing dynamics of a .750 bore 32" Kolar similar to a 32" K-80?

So, if you have the time, give me your top ten (or top whatever number) reasons to own a Kolar.

Thanks for your time, Bob

2. skeet_man

skeet_man Well-Known Member

Rather than trying to give you a top ten, i'll try and answer some of your questions, then give some opinions.

The problems you experienced w/ your krieghoff are not the norm. Your case is by far the worst i've heard.

The max factory bore on a K80 i believe is .740. W/ a .750 bore on a kolar (same length bbls), you've already lost 3-4oz from the barrels, and the heavier receiver is going to make the barrels even more lively.

A question you didn't ask, but some do, are trigger smoothness. It seems that the krieghoff has a little "clickier" trigger (if that makes sense) rather than a smooth forward and back, although I do like how the trigger on the K80 springs back quickly as compared to the kolar. However, I slap the trigger, so pretty much any trigger 3-4 lbs w/ a bearable amt of creep and overpull feels the same to me.

I owned a Krieghoff for a short period of time (while not a k80, it was a model 32, basically mechanically the same). My main issue with the k32 was when you take the stock off, it seems overly complex. Too many springs, pins, and clips for me to deal with. I started w/ a remington 1100, something I could do 99% of my own work on, and ease of maintenance is a big thing for me. I had some light hits with my krieghoff, and tried to take it apart to see if I could figure out what was wrong and properly clean it, and not only was I able to do neither, I had a hard enough time getting it back together at all. With the kolar, the 1st time I tried to take the trigger apart to detail clean it, it took me maybe 45 mins to an hour, now I can do it in 15-20 mins.

With the kolar, if you require a custom stock, kolar will fit you for one for $500, something thats not even an option @ krieghoff (now theres a difference b/w making a stock w/ a little higher or lower comb (as i believe krieghoff does/can), and making one w/ custom toe out, offset, grip angle, ect as kolar does).

As far as the issue w/ fanfiring on the kolar, that has by and large been fixed by now. Now there can be a person or 2 out of a couple hundred that based on their gun mount, can cause a gun to fanfire (a loose mount makes the gun bounce off the shoulder w/ the 1st shot, making your finger trip the 2nd trigger under recoil). This is usually a simple fix by putting a different piece in the trigger so it resets slower.

Another + w/ kolar, if you want it refinished, it goes back to Wisconsin, not Germany.

If your interested in a used .750 bore Kolar 32" sporting gun, check w/ Robert Paxton @ paxtonarms.com. He has a few NICE guns right now.

3. Klay_Buster

Klay_Buster TS Member

I have two Kolars. I believe the main differenc that you will find. Kolar is Made in the USA. Factory people and service are the best. You can go to the factory, get fitted properly, watch the build guns, and talk to the people that are building and servicing you gun. It seem that Kolar did have some trigger problems on some early guns, but that is ancient history. I have shot the 32 in O/U 750 bore. It seems quicker than the 30 in 740 bore, which is what I have.

As far as a K80 is concerned. Have never owned one, but if you need service,how long does it take ? I know Kolar and they turn around the service very quickly.

4. spritc

spritc Active Member

I can give you three reasons to own a Kolar. I've owned two used combos a one new one. No better trap gun made. I'm sorry that's four good reasons.

Steve

5. erm

erm Member

1. Great service
    2. pre-load shoulder that takes some stress off of the hindge pin when gun is closed
    3. removeable trigger group
    4. .750 bore provides less felt recoil
    5. .750 bore lighter weight
    6. stock fitting service available at factory
    7. simpler trigger group. less parts, less breakage
    8. matte finish barrel reflects less glare
    9. less effort to close
    10. made in the usa

6. Babalooey

Babalooey TS Member

erm,

Nice list, thanks.

Bob

7. claybrdr

claybrdr Well-Known Member

With all the fan firing problems you have experienced it must be you and not the guns. Some people involuntarily jerk the trigger a second time. Both Kolars and K-80s have fantastic mechanical triggers and maybe you had better stick with a P-gun or another with inertia triggers.

8. dbart1948

dbart1948 Member

Babalooey - I just had some minor stock work and a fitting today on my Browning Special Trap at Kolar.

I have never shot or even owned a K-gun or a Kolar as they are too expensive for me.

For what it's worth, I have been to Kolar twice. Each time I was there, their staff and the service tech (Mark) listened to my concerns and treated me very well. Their service department and their commitment to their customers is in my opinon, second to none.

I'll be the first to admit that I really do not know alot of high end shotguns nor can I give you the top ten reason etc. What I do know is that if you want a company to stand behind their product and to give you excellent service, then Kolar is the way to go.

Dave

9. ks5shooter

ks5shooter Member

<a href="http://photobucket.com" target="_blank">[​IMG]</a> Because they are cool,built like tanks and I agree with all the other reasons above.....Don

10. fang1

fang1 TS Member

You won't have any problems with a Kolar, they are made like tank, handle like one to.

11. Dragonbob

Dragonbob TS Member

...and the last time I looked, about a grand cheaper at the standard level.

12. skeet_man

skeet_man Well-Known Member

I've dealt w/ rags on numerous occasions, and jeff mainland on one occasion, and all my experiences w/ both of them have been A+. Just my experience.

13. jakearoo

jakearoo Active Member

Just get a P-gun. They shoot better.

14. Dustimall

Dustimall TS Member

I bought Kolar combo about 3 months ago used very little. I had a problem with the O/U BBls shooting the same POI, to make it short, Kolar called me back, agreed on my pattern sheets I sent to them with the BBLS, and they corrected that problem. It only took 1 week. I am now waiting for my BBLS from UPS, whatever. Kolar will help you anyway they can, resolve any problems, and their turn around time is fast! These guns are built like a Swiss Watch, also built like a tank. Very strong gun, it will out last me for sure. Best gun on the market today in my opinion.

Shootnclays

15. HarryK

HarryK TS Member

I've never heard term "fan firing" before, could someone please explane.

Thanks - Harry

16. grnberetcj

grnberetcj Active Member

Top reason has to be:

1 - If I buy a Kolar (or any expensive trap gun) I'll be sure to break a 100 straight!!

Curt - Delaware

17. msmith

msmith Member

One thing that is nice with a Kolar is the gun can be made for you, your dimensions, chioce of bore, chokes etc. I own a Kolar and a K80. Both are very nice. The Kolar is my #1 gun because of lower recoil and I just shoot it better.The only thing that I do not like about it is the matt finish on the barrels. My gun is 2yrs. old and I wore a spot off. I will get it blued in the near future. I have noticed Kolars are starting to hold there resale value better. Krieghoffs rule in resale value. Kolars are made in USA and you can visit the factory and have your gun made for you.

18. Babalooey

Babalooey TS Member

Fan firing

I do think my experience with a Kolar fan firing was due to a early serial number gun (my friend that owns gun is to lazy to bring it to Kolar, and just cut down on the trigger lube..and this seemed to cure problem for him). I have not seen or heard of the fan firing issue on newer guns lately.

Bob

19. Baron23

Baron23 Well-Known Member

Fan firing, or as Mr. Finger more correctly put it, doubling is a thing of the past. Any high quality gun with mech triggers has the possibility of this issue, especially when competition shooters start asking for it to be tuned (shallow cuts in the hammers, quick second barrel selection, very light trigger pull weight).

I am familiar with one instance of Kolar's doubling, it was a very early gun and was corrected. I have not seen that since and there are many Kolars (incl mine) in the Maryland area.

My reasons, 1. built like a T-37 tank, 2. does NOT handle like a T-37 tank for the target sports of my choice, 3. great service, especially Jeff Mainland, 4. ease of customization and particularly their efforts at custom stock fitting.

I have had mine for six of seven years, serial number 1234, and I am very happy with the purchase.

20. riflegunbuilder

riflegunbuilder Member

I just went through your same thing. My Beretta was turning my cheek blue. To buy Kolar, Krieghoff, or Perazzi? I just received my MX2000 this week 32" C/T barrels.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
k80 krieghoff occasion
kolar doubling
kolar shotgun serial numbers

krieghoff k80 occasion