1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Kolar Fitted Tubes For Citori

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Todd1, Sep 22, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Todd1

Todd1 TS Member

I just got back my Citori from Kolar with 28 gauge fitted tubes. My fellow skeet shooting members have recommended that I remove the tubes each time I finish shooting. They say if you leave them in for to long a time they will be very hard to remove. I shoot 3 rounds a week and clean my gun when I am done. Any thoughts or comments on that practice.

2. Bob_K

Bob_K Well-Known Member

I remove mine after use. I've seen rust form in the barrel when tubes are left in.

3. g7777777

g7777777 TS Supporters TS Supporters

lubricate the barrel and the tubes with a rust preventative and you shouldnt have a problem

Gene

4. Bridger

Bridger Member

I've shot tube sets for well over 20 years and have never heard of that happening. I often leave mine in and have never seen any rust. Not saying it couldn't happen bu I don't think its likely. If it makes you feel better, remove them and have some peace of mind. The short Chambermates couid easily be a problem if left in the barrel.

5. skeetjunkie

skeetjunkie TS Member

Isn't there galvanic action between aluminum and steel? That being true, then eventually the two different metal types would corrode together. Doubtless, it would likely take a pretty long time.

To go along with this thought, a friend of mine contrived to make his own 20 gauge tubes(from aluminum tube) which he installed in a Lefever damascus-barreled gun. The tubes were NOT full-length which could have compounded or perhaps been the entire problem. Anyway, after several years of being left in the barrels, these aluminum tubes were nearly impossible to remove. In fact, it resulted in damage to the barrels.

6. skeet_man

skeet_man Well-Known Member

If the barrels are chrome lined, you probably won't have a problem. If they aren't, you almost certainly will, I did when I had kolar tubes in a citori, as a matter of fact, the barrels had a tendency to go orange inside (a very light film of rust), even if the subgauge tubes weren't in, i think its the nature of the steel browning uses.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.