1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Kolar extractor modification

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Border Bandit, Aug 27, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Border Bandit

Border Bandit Well-Known Member

At the Thurmont shoot last Saturday the ejector in my Kolar Max TA Comp broke in two pieces on the first station on trap one. I was able to remove the broken pieces-parts and continue the event by sliding the broken part with my finger and using it as an extractor. Sadly, I dropped a target on that post and ended up with only a 99, but it was good enough for a Sr Vet win and allowed me to avoid the shoot-off with my pal Butch Duly. Unfortunately, the front part of the ejector rod, the "hook" part was lost so there was no way to get it repaired, and there were two shoots the next day, the HOM at Coon Club and York Co. at York-Adams, so I had to make do. Using trial & error it was possible to shorten the ejector spring to allow just enough of the ejector rod to push back the empty; but not extend too far. Of course, this fix had two problems. (1) it allowed the rear face of the ejector to contact the front face of the receiver, and possibly mark it, and (2) it could fall out and be lost, since the whole thing was free floating.

Barb & I went back to Thurmont Monday morning with the metal detector and, luckily, found the lost part, right away. (See the first photo)
    Now, faced with trying to weld/repair the old one, get a new one, ...or something else. After thinking about it a while, the third option was chosen.

Since I do not eject my empties, the ejector is really an annoyance anyway, and I was never able to learn to catch the ejected empties just past my right ear, and drop 'em into the shell bag, like the cool guys do, the extractor option seemed the answer. If you compare the top & bottom set in the 2nd photo you'll see where I (cringe) used the Dremel tool and cut the back part of the ejector rod off, just behind the protrusion that rides in the receiver and moves the extractor forward and back so that it doesn't impact/scratch the back face of the receiver. With a shortened spring, using the plunger, this option works very well as an extractor, without messing with the ejector hammers in the forend. You can see a comparison between the two barrel sets, one with the ejector in place and the newly modified one.

It's really a simple method to convert Kolar's ejector into an extractor. Best...Mike

Both parts of the broken ejector

mikepoore_2008_270837.jpg

Broken ejector, top, and modified ejector

mikepoore_2008_270838.jpg

barrel with ejector (top)& barrel with modified extractor

mikepoore_2008_270839.jpg

2. goose2

goose2 Well-Known Member

My friend just got his Kolar back from the factory to repair the exact same break. I don't know what the cost was but he was not a happy camper.

3. smsnyder

smsnyder Well-Known Member

Probably under warranty. Minor issue.

4. goose2

goose2 Well-Known Member

The broken part was not under warranty since the gun was out of warranty. Not bad mouthing Kolar or a Kolar. Just stating what he said and yes it's time for you to figure out that your new Kolar does not have a lifetime warranty. Rags is there to make money and I have known him to "jab" a person here in there when he can get away with it. As far as the ejector breaking in that spot, it is a common thing for them to do that and they will not just send you the ejector. They say they need the whole gun. I am sure this is for a timing thing.

5. Border Bandit

Thanks, Old. There's never been anything but STS or Nitro in this gun, except for the flat of RIO Green's I won at Elysburg, and left on the ground at the Doubles marathon a couple of years ago.

In any case, I'm so happy with the mod that I just went down and cut off the ejector rods on the doubles set. As an added benefit the gun now "falls" open, and will require no manhandling on the doubles line...a distraction in my view. Seldom can we say we're happy when something brakes, here, I'll make the exception.

best...mike

6. TjayE

TjayE Member

Mike, I didn't know you were an engineer. Looks like you may have re-designed the Kolar extractor. The ejectors on my Krieghoff have been replaced several times. I remember being told that the ejector are a weak design and prone to break. I removed one of the ejector springs on each barrel and have not had a failure since Norbert replace the broken ejector at the 2005 Grand in Vandalia. The gun still ejects the empties, but it does not eject them 6 feet over my right shoulder. I am happy with this fix. Tom

7. chipking

chipking TS Member

Unfortunately mine broke right at the very back. I called and spoke to one of the folks there (I will not give the name or the time period) and 2 days later I had 3 ejectors at my house with instructions to keep the one that worked the best and send the other 2 back NO CHARGE. There are still some good guys out there After reading goose2's comments I just hope that he didn't get into trouble over it.

--- Chip King ---

8. Sky Buster

Sky Buster Sky Buster TS Supporters

At the Minnesota State Shoot, I had Phillips Gunsmithing change
    my Kolar TS from eject to extract only. It took him about 5 min.
    to make the change. I believe changing it is designed into the gun.

9. Border Bandit

After inspecting the two little "rocker" tabs in the forend, it appears that those could be removed and the ejectors would no longer function, although it seems the Allen screws hold the through pins, and you'd need to replace those somehow. No matter what, I think (TjayE)Tom's idea about reducing the spring pressure would do as much as anything in saving the ejector rods from breakage, because of the pounding they take. Of course, the cool guys, who catch their empties, mid-air, would have to lower their intercept point somewhat.....grin

I still think my solution of cutting the ends off the ejectors is the simplest way, albeit not the least expensive, in the long run.

best....mike

10. Border Bandit

So, Old, the Dremel tool trim is the preferred method, then. I wonder if I should consider getting a patent on the art/modification/improvement?

best...mike

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
adjust kolar shell ejection

how is a kolar shotgun changed from extractor to ejector

kolar ejector removal

kolar shotgun ejector trips
kolar ts ejector
modifying ejector hooks to extract only
replacement ejector kolar shotgun

timing ejectors on a kolar shotgun