1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Kolar Dudes!

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by ebsurveyor, May 20, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ebsurveyor

ebsurveyor Member

I'm thinking about a new combo and Kolar comes to mind. Can any of you Kolar shooters answer a few questions? I shoot pull triggers and after probably close to a million trigger pulls I use a very light pull. Can Kolar O/U's be set to about three pounds pull? About how much extra does it add to have a custom stock made if I travel to the factory? Do they miss much? Every Seitz, Browning, Remington, Winchester, P gun & K gun that I've owned have missed too much. Thank you.

2. bjk1972

bjk1972 Member

They can set your trigger to where you want it. Call or see Keith if you decide to go to factory for fitting. He is the trigger guru.Fitting fee is 900 bucks plus wood upgrade(if wanted). Jeff is very good about seeing that you get a nice standard set of wood with your fitting. The trip to the factory is well worth the time and airfare. My Kolar experience was a bucket list type trip. Great people and service. Only problem is my gun is female, still trying to train her. Good luck with you decision.

3. GBatch_25

GBatch_25 Active Member

Like other fine firearms, Kolars only miss as much as the shooter allows. <:)

I, too, encourage you to make the trip to Racine. Their customer service is incomparable.

Gene in Illinois

4. shoot em all

shoot em all Member

I just purchased a used unsingle combo and although it is bit heavy the unsingle points great and crushes targets. The weight is not noticed at all and hardly any recoil. Only addition was small positive pitch spacer which I prefer in a shotgun. I have dealt with Keith in converting triggers to rel/rel and another hanger for o/u. These guns are built to last and first rate customer service. Good luck. jim w.

5. ebsurveyor

ebsurveyor Member

Thanks for the info. Another question: do they have a trap field there to test the various guns?

6. skeet_man

skeet_man Well-Known Member

No, they are in the middle of an industrial park I believe.

7. bjk1972

bjk1972 Member

No field there. I think there is a club close by though. They are at a lot of the big shoots with demos. DuPont K guns in Florida use to have a test drive program. Dont know if they still do. If your in NE Ohio you can shoot mine!

8. GBatch_25

GBatch_25 Active Member

They have a shooting 'corridor' where you can test shoot a gun after you have a stock fitting, Jeff Mainland will insist you shoot the gun to make sure it's set up correctly. I can't recall how long it is but it's adequate to test POI.

Gene in Illinois

9. ebsurveyor

ebsurveyor Member

Thanks you all. Maybe I'll wait for the Grand or look at them during the PA State Shoot or buy some barrels for my San Remo.

10. Dave Berlet

Dave Berlet Active Member

Butch, Kolar will be at their building during the Ohio State Shoot. They have been very helpful working with me and I am very happy with my Kolar.

Dave

11. ebsurveyor

ebsurveyor Member

Thanks Dave.

Maybe I'll stop over.

12. trap_shooter2000

trap_shooter2000 Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

Ebsurveyor: I sent you a private message (PM). Let me know if I can be of assistance. I'll be glad to help! Thanks for considering Kolar!

Aaron Willoughby
    Kolar Arms-Field Representative
    Phone 606-481-0955

13. StonewallRacing

StonewallRacing Well-Known Member

Checking POI is part of the fitting process. Once the stock is roughed-in, you will go to the tunnel. I believe it goes all the way to 40 yards.

Once fitted, you will shoot the gun to paper at several different distances to check POI and pattern. They will change hangars and adjust rib until you get POI.

There are 5 clubs within a half hour of factory. Kolar owns one of the Pat Traps at Wisconsin Sportsmans Club which is only about 10 miles away in Union Grove.

They have several demo guns that you can shoot at Cardinal, Sparta or others.

Kolar experience is worth every penny.

SW

14. daddiooo

daddiooo TS Supporters TS Supporters

Buy Kolar... it's the best. Why settle for less?

Kolar shooter since 2004.

Good luck.

Dave

15. Beretta687EELL

Beretta687EELL Well-Known Member

Jeff Mainland will be at the Ohio State shoot and can tell you if one of their standard stocks will work for you or not. The trip to the factory is worth the time and expense even if you don't need a custom fitting.

16. stu42

stu42 Member

You will never be disappointed with your Kolar purchase and their customer service is as good as it gets. Spending that amount of money you would be well advised to get Jeff to fit the gun to you and Keith will tune the triggers to your satisfaction. Fit is more important, in my humble opinion, than fancy wood! Cheers, your obedient servant, Stu

17. ebsurveyor

ebsurveyor Member

Thank you all.

18. ms_yuan

ms_yuan Member

If you're spending that much money on a gun, the $900 extra for the fitting is not much to add. You'll have a wonderful experience, and have the opportunity to meet the folk who will make your gun. You'll see parts from the ingots to the finished product. Jeff Mainland is just plain wonderful. Jeff did say that I'd never miss again after I bought one, and while that's not entirely true, I won't hold that against him. Having a gun truly fit to you is just an incredible experience. You'll not regret the choice if you go to Racine.

19. bossbasl

bossbasl Well-Known Member

Kolar triggers can be set to your liking by factory personnel. Customer service is first rate. Not impressed with Kolar factory fitting service. Would recommend fitting elsewhere and have Kolar duplicate the dimensions on wood you select at Kolar factory. Lyle

20. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

One of the things I really like about my Kolar TC is the trigger. It breaks extremely cleanly and consistently. Never put a scale on mine but the pull weight is just not an issue at all. I would love it if my centerfire rifles all had triggers that good.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.