1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Kolar Blowing UP?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Claymuncher, Feb 12, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Claymuncher

Claymuncher Member

I hear a number of different guns blowing up but I cannot recall hearing about a Kolar taking the big bang. Any gun can blow I realize under the right pressure but I thought Kolar's might be made a little heftier, Curios as I shoot a one.

I remember when I first started shooting as a kid just before plastic, everyone looked down the barrel after a shot, Paper wads and bad bases I suppose. Every one did a guick blow to clear the smoke. I still see a few doing it, and I am gong to start the habit.

CM

2. goose2

goose2 Well-Known Member

Been doing it since I started shooting trap. Looking for day light at the end of the barrel is a good habit to get into.

3. Jeff P

Jeff P Well-Known Member

We had one here in Anchorage that split out the last foot of the barrel on a factory STS.

4. daddiooo

daddiooo TS Supporters TS Supporters

Jeff,

Was there an obstruction in the barrel? Or possibly an aftermarket choke tube issue?

Thanks in advance for any additional info.

Dave

5. short shucker

short shucker TS Member

I've only ever seen 1 Kolar come apart. It seems the guy thought that all the "Clays" powders were the same. He used regular Clays in his 20ga reloads and promptly split the top barrel and the subgage tube.

ss

6. blooch

blooch Member

We have a guy who at our place regularly that shoots a Kolar with skeet tubes had a barrel and tube rip open shooting new 20ga Remington STS skeet shells at the World shoot a couple of years ago. It was supposed to be the only Kolar gun that had "blown up" up to that time.

7. THALL

THALL Member

I had the top barrel of an over/under split at the end. MY FAULT. I bought & had a set of barrels fitted to my gun. Then I put a .740 screw in choke from my other Kolar barrels into the top barrel....but the barrels were .750 bore, AGAIN, I STATE MY FAULT....I learned a valuable lesson (i.e. expensive) to allways use a micrometer on barrels that i put on my gun. Tim Hall.

8. Johnny

Johnny Well-Known Member

yukonjack222, I would imagine the man was very upset with Kolar. Did Kolar explain why a "reload" would cause the damage and not a factory STS?

9. Jeff P

Jeff P Well-Known Member

Yukon has the facts correct...it was a new gun, well, fairly new - like advertised, maybe a thousand rounds through it. The last 12 or 14 inches of the barrel split out - very clean, as noted, like you'd done it with a razor blade.

And ALL the guy shoots are green STS's. Ever. Period. If you want to shoot his gun, that's no problem, but he'll hand you a box of STS factory shells to shoot. His guns simply NEVER see a reload of ANY type.

I agree with Yukon, it looked thin to me, but i never measured it, and I would have no idea how thick it was supposed to be...but I would have guessed it was a lot thicker than it looked to be.

Beyond that, I have no idea why it blew...all factory gun, but maybe he got a choke tube a little out of round or something and it grabbed the wad. Dunno.

I do know that, last I heard, Kolar was refusing to take care of the problem AND refusing to send his barrel back to him. To be fair, we haven't talked in a while, and maybe Kolar did send his barrel back, and I just don't know that.

10. Jeff P

Jeff P Well-Known Member

Also, in the interest of full disclosure, I own and regularly shoot a full set of Kolar skeet tubes...I personally talked to Rags for about a half an hour one night about 7pm his time, and he took the time to call me and discuss my needs and 'sell' me the tubes. I've read a lot of varying opinions on him on this board. Personally, I have no reason to dislike him...he's taken good care of me in the limited dealings we've had, and he donated generously to the Alaska State shoot when I was president of the association.

11. Mark425

Mark425 TS Member

If it can be blown up.....some bozo will figure out a way to do it. Same with any gun.

12. Blaser F3

Blaser F3 TS Member

I have only heard of one kolar blowing up and I was shooting with the guy. I also at the time was shooting a kolar. The reason for the blow up was it was an older shotgun and he was shooting a marathon of doubles and the barrels overheated. But the newer kolars are better built so I don't think there should be a problem.

13. mcurry2507

mcurry2507 TS Member

Has anyone heard of any ljutics blowin up? Been lookin at buyin one.
    Mike.

14. Ljutic111

Ljutic111 TS Member

I have never heard of any Ljutic blowing up but there may have since I have no way of hearing everything that goes on in the world . I would buy that Ljutic and never turn back on a deal of a lifetime . Mine is over 40 years old and will probably last another 40 with little to no problems . Mine is used and abused but works like a charm . Since I was the first in my club to own one , 4 others have purchased either new or used ones . 2 have been from Boomer who is a great guy to deal with .

15. BAD 303

BAD 303 Active Member

Dang all these high dollar guns blowing up and i have yet to hear about a cheap old Beretta auto ever blowing up. Things that make you go huh.

16. kgun_shooter

kgun_shooter Member

BAD 303,

Below is what was taken from one of the other threads.

Subject: Statistical Analysis of Blow Ups?
    Email:
    Date: Mon, Feb 13, 2012 - 09:55 AM ET
    Website Address:

I have never been to a shot where a gun had blown but a member had a Beretta auto blow when he used reloads but when I took pictures and examined the barrel , it was so thin from a back bore job done years before by a previous owner . I don`t think the shooter/reloader overloaded his ammo so the back boring job may have taken too much metal from the barrel and it was just a matter of time when it would explode . Brittle material after barrel work -- YES. I was surprized to hear that Beretta made good with a new barrel and forend ??

17. jamesf

jamesf TS Member

A few years ago, at Fabbri in Italy, we took a barrel and dropped a 20bore 3200BAR test shell into the chamber, then we put a 12bore 3200BAR test shell in the chamber too. After setting this bomb off, we looked and there was a little swelling right in front of the forcing cone. Everything went right through the end of the barrel.

On the next barrel, we put a 1/4 inch diameter steel pin, 6 inches long in the barrel, 12 inches from the muzzle. We set that one off and it split the barrel using only an 1-1/8oz-3dram shell.

Gun barrels can't take much dumb stuff if the barrel is obstructed! Especially further down the barrel.

Jim

18. SuperMotard

SuperMotard Member

i've heard of one ljutic blowing up but it was of no fault to the gun design. in this specific scenario reputable aftermarket chokes i believe were a factor. Lets be honest, its one thing to look down your barrel, check your chokes between rounds, be safe when loading and take every pre-caution neccessary to be safe but if you have a choke work loose, or a fragment of a wad/pedal get hung up that is ecscapes your vision in a quick check your going to have a problem.. with all guns....

TB

19. BAD 303

BAD 303 Active Member

K-Gun that gun barrel let go because of a backbore job. These high end guns blowing up don't mention any barrel work.

20. lovethesport

lovethesport Member

zolis dont blow up--

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

kolar tubes reloading

shooting a kolar