1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Kolar, an almost exact replica of Perazzi?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Quack_kills, Dec 17, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Quack_kills

Quack_kills TS Member

After looking at several Kolars and Perazzi's, I see a lot of similarities between the two. Does anybody else see this?

2. Tron

Tron Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

Except for the barrels, which are just like Kreighoff.

3. vpr80

vpr80 Active Member

run that by me again....what about Kolar is like Perazzi? The receiver and design? Seems more like a K to me, but what do I know.

4. pheasantsgalore

pheasantsgalore Active Member

Robert Paxton was one of the shooters (All American skeet shooter) involved, with others in his class, who were asked to help design a new o/u that incorporated the attributes of the top competition guns of all time. They did use some of the features of both Perazzi, and Krieghoff, while at the same time designing an entire new o/u that would be uniquely their own. Doug Braker could also be thanked for his input into the final design also, I am sure. If you do a search on the internet, I am sure you'll find more on the conceptual design and introduction of this gun. I have several articles on this subject that were passed to me, years ago, that are very interesting. Anyway,.just thought I'd throw this at you......for what its worth...Rob

5. sernv99

sernv99 Active Member

I heard this straight from Paxton's mouth as well when I was looking buying a Kolar from him....a bunch of big shot shooters were on a design board and contributed input to the design of the Kolar gun...

6. skeet_man

skeet_man Well-Known Member

About the only similarity b/w a kolar and perazzi are that they both have drop triggers. Their receivers, lockup, barrels, weight distribution are completely different.

7. Dr.Longshot

Dr.Longshot Banned Banned

I personally feel the KOLAR locks up like a Beretta, Bbl adjusts like a K-80 and the trigger drops out like a Perazzi. The Kolar is a combination of all 3

Gary Bryant
    Dr.longshot

8. Quack_kills

Quack_kills TS Member

Cheetah, you could not have said it any better...Exactly was I was thinking. I recently purchased a Kolar Max, and could not be happier with it. Latley I have seen a lot of Perazzi's for sale in the market place. I could not help but notice that Kolar and Perazzis receiver look to be functionally identical.

9. JACK

JACK Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

Quack. Yes, a lot of Perazzis out there for sale. Compared to a Kolar. But two things in play here... 1) prob about 10,000 to 1 Perazzi to Kolar in the American market, and 2) Kolar lays in the market place for sale longer than a Perazzi.

It's OK to start a thread and ask a question, but if you just want to pump up the fact that you just bought a Kolar and are enamored with it, say so in the beginning rather than start a food fight with another gun brand. I am a fan of both brands.

10. BIGDON

BIGDON Well-Known Member

Quack I'm with MIA. Your opening statement gets you your remarks which you deserved. The Kolar is a Kolar. A unique firearm in its own right. It is not a Perazzi or a Kreighoff but a Kolar and not a replica of anything. I base this on the fact that I campaigned one of the first combos on the market personally fit by Don Maitland, look him up he a little to do with the gun.

Then to make your DA remark to MIA, who knows alot about all makes, shows you were looking for pissing match when you started. If your think "recently" and not "just" purchasing a Kolar now makes you an authority guess again.

Enjoy your gun but don't expect everyone to agree with you.

Don

11. vpr80

vpr80 Active Member

hehehehe and i thought it was just me thinking that Quack is an a-hole...seems i'm not the only one :)

12. JACK

Boy! Steve. what a great graphic and great comment. I could not agree more. Gun dynamics are very meaningful in this sport. And when you find one your built in timing is attuned to, you tend to like the gun a lot better. I suspect that is the Quack case.

And Quack, I am not tossing a hamburger at you, rather just pointing out that some Kolar shooters adore their guns, I am in-tune with my Perazzi (s), many others think the world would come to an end if Krieghoff stopped making K80s. I try an make informative statements about guns and what can be done with them. I certainly have tried to do that with my recent forend repair on my MX3. Too, I completely re-did a MX15 an showed all this in pictures. Truth is I had a cup of coffee with a Kolar T/S and only stopped shooting it because the #1 stock would not allow me to get over far enough to align the beads. Adn too, that was before I came to the forum and got smarter about how to adjust the gun to fit my personal physical peculiarities. All I suggest to anyone is to learn to do that and your shooting will improve. Adn I leave your with this... Is your gun better than this one?
    mia_2008_0303194.jpg
    Let me state something I have stated before. I shoot Perazzi because I am most in-tune with Perazzi release triggers. They go off without any thought process. If I were to switch to a faster or slower release in a Kolar (et-al)It would take me 5000 targets to acclimate. Too old to do that. But a younger person might have the time to waste shooting lesser scores in order to become one with the gun's timing. I do not.

87-01936. Came back to shooting in 06 and broke 60% of my targets. Up to 85 now from the 26 yard line. And I am hoping that my MX15 project will fit me allowing me to continue upward. I'll know by April.

13. PerazziBigBore

PerazziBigBore TS Member

Lets step away from guns for a minute.. Would you want a car designed by someone who drives?? I think the Kolar was a combination of the best of all worlds..machinable by CNC for rapid.. accurate assembly.. It locks up like a bank vault.. is of excellent design.. Trigger are great..but not for me.(I have special needs..that so far only a Perazzi can meet)..(I had the same problem with Krieghoff shotguns).. Both factories worked VERY hard with me.. but could not reach the desired results..

I agree..the Kolar has vastly different dynamics than a Perazzi.. the new .750 barrels have gone a long way to change the dynamics of the gun to make it more Perazzi and Krieghoff like in feel.. Then Perazzi opened their bore up.. and Kolar can't go anymore..

Like the Cole shotgun.. the Kolar receiver is so massive..if they put it on a diet..I think the results would really attract many more shooters.. Maybe a titanium receiver and keep everything the same..

In any event.. no one.. or even two guns will ever make every shooter happy..There are enough different wants and needs of the American shooter..and all the different games we play..to welcome even a few newer guns in the mix..

I'll forever be mad at Dennis for not making his O/U..I think it might have just been the ultimate O/U shy of the Seitz.. I once owned a Ljutic Bi-gun which was a beauty too.. I'm sorry I sold it.. So MANY guns.. so little money.. I wish I owned them all..

Happy Holidays.. All Good.. Mike

14. Ted K.

Ted K. Member

I have and shoot recent examples of both guns. They feel and look quite different to me:

1. There is a large difference in weight.

2. There is a significant difference in weight distribution and therefore in how they swing.

3. FWIW, my Kolar opens and closes much more easily than my Perazzi.

4. The rib adjustment mechanism is quite different on the two guns.

5. Most Perazzis have a leaf spring trigger (as does mine) and all Kolars (as far as I know) have coil spring triggers.

6. The Perazzi barrel/trigger automatic switchover mechanism is inertial and the Kolar barrel/trigger switchover is mechanical.

Both guns, if you point them in the right place, break targets very well. FWIW, the Kolar usually, but not always, works better for me than the Perazzi. And occasionally my 1100 works better than both of them.

If I had to advise someone which of the two to buy, I wouldn't. I think the choice is purely a matter of taste, fit and preference. Both are superb, well-made guns that probably suit different people differently.

If you're trying to make up your mind, shoot both of them (the more the better), but be sure the stock fits well when you shoot each gun. Otherwise, all you're doing is selecting a stock, not a gun.

Ted K.

15. PerazziBigBore

PerazziBigBore TS Member

Ted K.. Your observations are accurate.. and to the point.. A well shot Perazzi just falls open..a nice tight catch bolt ($28.00) can fix that.. one to tight can easily be loosened up..exactly to your preferance..

16. Ted K.

Ted K. Member

Perazzi BB -

Where is the catch bolt on a Perazzi and how do I loosen it?

Thanx

Ted K.

17. Quack_kills

Quack_kills TS Member

Guys, this was never meant to be a thread about which gun is better, or about my gun. It was a simple question and I apologize if a couple people took offense to the nature of my responses.

18. BIGDON

BIGDON Well-Known Member

Forget it and keep shooting. Remember the Indian plays a large part, it's not just the bow.

Don

19. shootsome

shootsome Member

I shoot a Perazzi that looks so much like a Kolar (separated barrels and silver receiver) that many people say to me "nice looking Kolar". To which I reply "this ain't no Wisconsin Mossberg". I only do that to get a rise out of the Kolar shooters. In my opinion Kolar makes a great shotgun, too.

20. JACK

Quack. You were the one that took offense. I talk guns.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

kolar reciever similar to perazzi