1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Kolar .750 Barrel Work?

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by KarlH, Apr 5, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. KarlH

KarlH TS Member

Has anyone had barrel work from Eyster, Wilkinson or Allor done on a .750 bore? I have a pretty hot pattern with a uneven 30" circle and my gut is that barrel work could be difficult since the barrels are already pretty drastically overbored. I love the Kolar and had a nice Tiger Myrtle stock from Cecil Fredi done at the factory so it fits, I like the way it moves but the patterns and breaks are a little weak unless all over it (hot like the core is a softball). Changing chokes seems to make little difference.

2. eric

eric TS Supporters TS Supporters

I e-mailed Mr Wilkinson that very question on the .750's. He said there is nothing he recommends doing on the 750's due to the overbore but does recommend using Federal shells as they have a slightly larger wad (works better in cold weather).

Eric

3. KarlH

KarlH TS Member

I shoot flyers and normally shoot .024/.036 but in this set up I can't tell a difference from 40 yards back. The .030 is ok. Wondering if I should try .020/.030.

4. miketmx

miketmx Well-Known Member

We had a lot of threads about patterns and Neil and Dr. A C Jones did many patterns with computer software to count the shot holes. A couple of conclusions they reached that coincide with Ballistics experts: 1) A good tight pattern will be hot in the center because it obeys the Gaussian distribution. 2) If the pattern appears un-even you probably haven't shot enough patterns to get the real answer.

5. ramorton

ramorton TS Supporters TS Supporters

Karl, you probably have a problem with their screw chokes being offset in the barrel. I saw this with some of their first guns. I even witnessed this in Houston at our club where a customer bought a brand new combo, to have nothing but hell trying to center targets. I looked at the gun in the rack and the choke in the single barrel was visually offset at the barrel end. I guess he got it fixed, I never saw him again. I just got my new Max Ta. This issue is the main reason I ordered fixed chokes in mine. .035 unsingle, .020 and .030 in the O/U. I am sure they will make it right. They sent my gun cast off for right hand shooter, however, I am left handed. They are correcting this problem and I am supposed to get the new stock this week. Jeff Mainland is very helpful and good to work with. Hope this helps, Roy

6. Neil Winston

Neil Winston Well-Known Member

I don't think Karl has said that it doesn't shoot straight, Roy.

Karl, all real chokes except maybe cylinder and perhaps IC are hot in the center. If you covered 30 inches,you couldn't hit much of anything because there would be too many holes.

Neil

7. claybrdr

claybrdr Well-Known Member

My Kolar .750 bores definitely shoot patterns that are hot in the center. People think I'm lying when I tell them I'm shooting 7/8 oz on our Sporting Clays course. Bio targets become absolute white smoke (when centered) up to 25 yards with .015 Angle Port chokes. Part is the 1,290 fps and 7 1/2 shot too.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.