1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Kolar .740 vs. .750

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by himejim, Feb 17, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. himejim

himejim Member

I am considering having my Kolar .740 34" Unsingle redone to .750. I am hoping that it would help make my move to the bird easier/faster. Right now I feel slow (I am a one-eyed shooter that holds a low gun).

I would appreciate comments from those that have swung both of these bbls. or similar. Thanks....Jim

2. Beretta687EELL

Beretta687EELL Well-Known Member

I've shot both but never really noticed a difference. I'd still have the .740 but the gun was stolen along with my truck. There was a time lapse of between shooting the .740 and the .750 while I waited for my new gun, so I didn't really have anything to compare.

Where do you live Jim? Perhaps someone close to you will let you shoot their barrel on your gun. Bill Malcolm

3. skeet_man

skeet_man Well-Known Member

On your 34" unsingle, you'd loose approx 1.66oz having the barrel backbored to .750. You may be better off selling your .740 34" unsingle and buying a .750 34" top single, you'd save a more weight this way.

4. Bridger

Bridger Member

I have a Kolar TS which has a different feel to me than the combo gun.I went with the .740 bore as I felt the .750 was too barrel light for me. A shooting buddy has a combo gun in the .750 bore and that one feels really good. I have always thought the combo gun with a .740 bore was heavy and slow for me to move. My TS with the .740 feels about the same as his combo with a .750. I had a Kolar skeet with 30 inch .750 bores and that was really whippy without the skeet tubes installed. I noticed from your earlier post you were looking for someone in southern Wisconsin who might have something for you to try. If you are anywhere near the Sauk Prairie Trap and Skeet Club in Sauk City Wi, there are quite a few shooters there with Kolars.

5. himejim

himejim Member

Skeet man,

Another option is a 32" .750 Unsingle that I have found used. I am concerned that it might me too fast...in order to try that bbl. I would need Kolar to fit it to my receiver. I am unsure about investing $ in that process...Jim

6. skeet_man

skeet_man Well-Known Member

Jim- If you find that that barrel is too fast for you, I make barrel weights that would allow you to slow it back down. Check out my website above.

7. autogun

autogun Member

I don't know if this is similar or not. I have a Kolar for sporting clays with 30" .740's and 32" .750's. There is no difference in the move to the bird. Also,I saw your other thread. The K guns are very similar in weight and feel, at least to me. A lighter barreled Perrazi would make your move easier and faster. For me it is too fast and I end up to far in front. Your back hand controls the speed of the mount for the most part if you're shooting a low gun. That means you need a lighter gun not just lighter barrels if you think your move to the bird is getting slower. Just my .02. Good luck.

8. birdogs

birdogs TS Member

I have a Kolar .740 unsinglle 34". I have shot many other Kolars, Perrazzis, Berettas. K-80s etc. I don't feel that my Kolar .740 is any slower because of its weight. Perhaps the better reason for the .750 is pattern and recoil. Again, I don't know if even that is true - only a suggestion which testing can prove or disprove.

9. Dr.Longshot

Dr.Longshot Banned Banned

As far as the TS .740 and .750 There is not much difference in weight to make it worth while, I definitely would not bore it to .750 as I feel it would weaken the Bbl. The factory .750 would be my option.

I have owned both .740 and .750 I could not tell the difference, it is so slight.

Kolar's are heavy guns to begin with.

Gary Bryant
    Dr.longshot

10. Chango2

Chango2 Active Member

Weight? Think: "Polar moment of ineritia"...in other words, a little weight at the end of the barrel (like on the bottom side 180 degrees from the rib) can make a big difference. I'm cheap, I've used little pieces of metal glued on..like wheel weights, an old motorcycle bracket that was aluminium, the wheel weights I used were the square stick on kind. Or if you are a bit bucks up, a barrel buddy. Or????I dunno, mallory metal?

11. ks5shooter

ks5shooter Member

Own both and cant tell diffrence ........Don

12. WNCRob

WNCRob Member

Do NOT bore out the Barrel. The handling issue is a question of balance. Add some weight to the butt. I added about 4 ounces of lead (cast lead bullets) stuffed into the butt, and stuffed with a rag, capped off with a 3/4" piece of round dowell with a small retaining screw at the top and botton of the dowell...screw is screwed in at a 45 degree angle. Some people use a 7-8 oz recoil dampening device...to me, that is too much weight in the butt. This is a fine tuning process to get this, and any other gun you may own, to handle well for you. Every one has a bit of a different feel. I shoot three different guns, and I like for them to have somewhat similar swing dymanics.

WNCRob

13. sean justice

sean justice TS Member

buy a perazzi

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.