1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Kolar 740/750 Info

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Billetproof, Sep 6, 2013.

1. Billetproof

Billetproof Active Member

Looking at a used Kolar and was wondering what difference the 740/750 bore make? Is one better or preferred over the other and why?

2. shoot em all

shoot em all Member

I have owned combos in both and currently own 750 and prefer it. The 740 seemed to be heavier gun and 750 although it weighs 10.3 pounds does not seem heavy at all as you shoot it. Recoil is low on both of these guns. Great guns + Good People = Keeper

3. Beretta687EELL

Beretta687EELL Well-Known Member

I've owned both and prefer the .750, but I would still look at a used .740. The Kolar folks are wonderful to deal with. Bill Malcolm

4. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

The one I have has the .740 bores. The forcing cones are just about non existant so I expect the .750 bores would be even more so. Also a gun with the 750 bores is going to be newer and therefore have a higher cost/value. I doubt you would ever be able to convince yourself that one diameter is superior to the other but evidently the people making the Kolars believe the larger bore is the way to go and they seem to want to make the very best performing shotgun that they can.

5. skeet_man

skeet_man Well-Known Member

Same rib, length, ect, 750 bore barrels will be lighter.

HOWEVER, they just came out with a 740 bore lightweight barrel that's supposed to be lighter than the 750, so that might be a gamechanger.

6. birdogs

birdogs TS Member

I have a .740, 34/32 combo. I am 5' 9" and weigh 162 lbs. I have been a senior for a number of years. I say all this by way of telling you that I do not find the gun heavy at all. Once you get it to fit you and shoot where you want, you can shoot it all day without excess fatigue. I guess it is because the balance is between the hands and perhaps a bit more towards the butt.

7. Leftysmokum

Leftysmokum Member

Love my combo--34/30--I feel the way to go is 30 inch. o/u seems to be a lot faster and balance is great--good luck.

8. eric

eric TS Supporters TS Supporters

For those of you that like to send your barrels off to one of the leading barrelsmiths, they cannot do anything to the .750 bores due to the already large diameter. The 740's are workable.

Eric

9. daddiooo

daddiooo TS Supporters TS Supporters

.740 bore shooter since 2004 and love it. Nothing else out there that I'd rather be shooting. 500 bird doubles marathons are no problem whatsoever.

KOLAR= best customer service on this planet.