1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

KOHLER ENGINE MAGNETO HELP PLEASE

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by Chango2, May 12, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chango2

Chango2 Active Member

I'm posting this for my friend, Ray. (Not a shooter, but a street rodder.)

"Hi Guys. I wonder if you can help me research something. The Kohler Magnum 8 HP engine on Laura's rototiller has a malfunctioning magneto. My weak computer skills have kept me from finding a magneto trouble shooting chart. If you can easily find one, can you forward the link to me? I bought the oldest Kohler factory service manual I could find but it does not go back far enough to cover magneto systems with the stator inside the flywheel.

I know the problem is in the magneto and I have replaced the magneto coil (stator), points and condenser and the problem persists. The engine barely runs as if it is extremely rich, like a malfunctioning needle and seat, firing every third, fourth or fifth revolution and smokes like a mad dog.

Here's how I know it's an ignition problem. I disconnected the mag and temporarily installed a car 12 volt coil and condenser and used a battery charger for a power supply. The points were not disturbed at all for this test and were used to trigger the spark, just like with the mag. With that set up the engine runs perfectly. Based on that, I bought a new magneto coil (stator) and the problem is unchanged. The only piece I have not replaced is the magnet that is attached to the inside of the flywheel to energize the mag. I have read that the magnets lose strength over time and this engine is about 25 years old.

Thanks!

Ray"

2. Neil Winston

Neil Winston Well-Known Member

If there's no key to locate the rotor, Ray might want to check and make sure it's "in time." Otherwise, his test tells me he's due for a new rotor, just as he suspects. Will the old one attract a paper clip with some power? If so, I'd keep looking.

Neil

3. scooterbum

scooterbum Active Member

Chango2,

Did the new stator come with a new spark plug wire? Have you tried running a hotter spark plug? How is the spark plug (condition)? Correct plug? Spark plug gap? Points gap? Ignition timing correct? How was the rotor magnet strength, when you had it apart? Have you tested the new condenser? Are the points clean, and not grounded? Are you sure there are no shorts or grounds in the low tension wiring?

Magneto systems are low tension (voltage) units, and require everything to run optimally, to perform correctly. Anything that causes a deviation can cause problems.

Switching to a higher tension system, like you have done, might also mask the problem.

Thank you,
    Longshooter

4. Haskins Bill

Haskins Bill TS Member

Check the clearance between the stator and the flywheel. In the good old days we used a piece paper match book cardboard. Bill

5. deuce

deuce Member

Magneto coil properly grounded?

6. flamborn

flamborn TS Member

What Bill said. We used a business card. .010" gap I think it was.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

buy magneto kohler eng

can i cange a magneto to just coil on a kohler

kohler magneto stator

what is the voltage of a magneto kohler