1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

"Knowing when to fold them....."

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by Hap MecTweaks, Aug 1, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

Biff, there's an old truth, if money is no problem, there's no problems. Old timers on fixed incomes feel the effects first, next is the people that barely got by prior with shooting expenses. If everything continues to skyrocket, I look for the numbers to diminish accordingly.

Time for shooting some 50 bird events with some gusto added? Small clubs will be hit mighty hard too I'm afraid. If this trend continues, something is bound to change. Hap

2. FarmerD

FarmerD TS Member

Well, I plan to keep shooting until I die or run out of money. Hopefully they happen about the same time 30 years from now. Just think, it's easy to win if your the only competitor. LOL See you on the dark side of the moon Richard

3. melie

melie Guest

K80's for 2K???????

4. Jeff P

Jeff P Well-Known Member

Wait a minute...I'll be shooting until I die, too. Can the three of take turns?

Maybe one time I can win the singles, Gary the caps and Richard the doubles, and then next time we can rotate and I'll take the caps, and so forth.

And since it's only the 3 of us, no one will ever get a punch since we won't have the required 15 shooters.....

Trapshooting has always been expensive, comparatively. And I don't want to make light of people's financial conditions (as a CPA, I've seen a LOT of hurting folks), but failure to properly plan for one's financial future seems to pop up more often than not. It's not just being young and rich and not caring about the money it costs...I know PLENTY of retired folks who NEVER made a ton of money and have retired comfortably and can shoot where and when it pleases them. And I know plenty of folks my age (42) that make the big salaries
    and will NEVER have a pot to p*ss in, since they're WAY more worried about driving new cars, buying more useless status symbols and drinking $4 coffee and eating out 5 nights a week. Nothing grinds up money faster than eating out.

5. flylta

flylta TS Member

Jeff p you hit the nail on the head. Folks some of the younger generation think that everything is owed to them.

I'm 37 and drive a 1982 Datsun diesal pickup and my wife drive a 1996 chevy both are paid for. I have never owned a car newer than 8 years old, but I live in southwest florida and I am less than 5 years away from being completely debt free, house and all. I have just started shooting and have yet to shoot any registered events but I shoot with buddies and my daughter when I want. This is my sanity and there is no cost I can place on that. I would rather drive an old truck and shoot then have the fancy F350 and $100 a week gas bill on top of truck payment and if I stay on track retire at 52 and shoot all I want.

Shhot for the stars and you never know you just might make it.

6. snglfoot

snglfoot Member

I just ran "Reloading Cost Calculator" and it is still cheeper to reload than buy (Wal-Mart the less expeensive). $3.75 to load, and $4.95 to buy. That is based on: $32.00/25 shot, $25.00/1000 primers, $98.00/8 lbs. powder, and $83.93
    for 5000 wads. (no cost for hulls, have too many now)

7. Jeff P

Jeff P Well-Known Member

LOL...fly, you sound like a man with a plan!! And a good one, at that. Once you own a house, you have the world by the tail.

Wish more folks your age (and younger) would grasp the simple economic truth that a guy who saves $2,000 a year for 10 years from age 20 to 30 will ALWAYS have more money than the guy who waits to save until he's 30 and then saves $2k a year. (based on the stock markets historical 11% return).

Save for the rainy day. You might not need it...but you might find a nice perazzi.

BTW, fly, I'll be 42 in 43 days...and I'm on track (hopefully, knock wood,throw salt over your shoulder, whatever it takes) to punch out for just about the last time when I'm 47. I'll still have to work...but only for beer and bait money. I HOPE.

And before I get flamed, none of this is meant to poke at the folks who are having hard times. Hard times happen and it's often beyond anyone's control. But a lot of it damn sure isn't....a lot of it is of your own making.

We're gonna see a whole lot of houses for sale pretty soon, when the Alt-A and subprime mess hits the fan from folks buying more home than they could possibly pay for. Sure it looked good with the rate at 1%...and no one ever thought to check what the payment would be in two years when the rates reset on their 2/28 mortgage to 7.5%. Over $100B is getting ready to go down the tubes.

8. Bisi

Bisi TS Member

Biff - I'm shooting shells that were reloaded with $12 a bag shot, but I've only got 4 more bags of that stuff. I really can't see myself paying $40 a bag for shot, so I don't know what I will do. Right now I have been keeping an eye on the paper and watching for new shell bargins. I picked up several flats of "Gun Clubs" for $3.96 a box a week or so ago.

I don't think I will quit shooting, just shoot less or a different game. Our local club has a nice 50 bird sporting clays course. Just shoot 50 a week and be happy. Our club also has an "Annie" tournament every couple of weeks. I can shoot that for 3 or 4 boxes.

9. flylta

flylta TS Member

Jeff,

My plan at 52...

Welcome to Wal-mart, have a nice day.

Repeating that a few hundred times for 2 or 3 days a week should allow me to hunt and fish all I want the other 4 to 5 days.

The forclosures are amazing down here and the rental market from people trying to hold out and not lose thier entire saving cause they jumped too late into the real estate boom.

I stick mainly to money markets right now that are pretty aggresive another 5 years and I'll start taming them. Black Tuesday cost me alot and changed my plans from retiring at 40 but I've come back and more carful with my investing.

I just don't understand how people plan to ever retire when they live on 108% or more of thier income and then I talk to them and the do make light of the vehicle I drive and I explain that I will retire and maybe work part-time at 52 and they say impossible. I give them my number and my age and tell them to check back in 15 years but leave a message, I'll be at the range, or lake, or deer stand.

"Can anybody remember when the times were not hard and money not scarce?"
    Ralph Waldo Emmerson

I am by no means wealthy in a $ sort of way but I have riches that others never see. I have a wife that loves me and stands beside me and 3 loving children. I AM RICH beyond wealth!

10. recurvyarcher

recurvyarcher Well-Known Member

flylta, you're a very lucky man. The people that love you are the most important part of life. You, too, Jeffy P.

11. smsnyder

smsnyder Well-Known Member

if that happens low quality trap guns will be hard to get rid of and high super grade guns will be in demand. by the way repos of automobiles are up big time.

12. Jeff P

Jeff P Well-Known Member

but that's only because recurvy cares deeply for me! No, I'm like Fly - i've got a great wife and daughter.

Like Fly, I've met literally hundreds of folks who don't believe it can be done. Like Fly, I say call me, but leave a message - I won't be there.

I recently had a young disciple see the light...he's saving like crazy, and he now sees the power of compound interest and realizes that it can be done. He's 26. Hell, he might be done at age 35. BTW, he also just bought a new boat and a new truck...so he's not eating beans while he sits in the dark to save a few bucks on electricity.

It can be done.

jeff

13. recurvyarcher

recurvyarcher Well-Known Member

"but that's only because recurvy cares deeply for me! No, I'm like Fly - i've got a great wife and daughter."

Correct on both accounts! You're one of my best buds, and you do have a great wife and a very cute daughter. She's probably even cuter when she's yelling "LOST!!!!!" She must get a lot of opportunity to do that...LOL!!!!

14. 22hornet

22hornet Well-Known Member

Before I give up on the shotgun sports, I will get rid of cable (not much on the tube, anyway), cut back on dining out, stop driving so fast, etc. Basically just watching my budget. Shooting is therapy for me; it keeps my head straight. It is a heck of a lot cheaper than a shrink. Now if I can just decide on 7.5's or 8's..........

15. smartass

smartass TS Member

I became debt free in 1985. It was easy to do- I just stopped borrowing money. That allowed me to semi-retire at the age of 43. It's amazing how much better you can live if you don't have to pay interest on huge loans.

16. gotbass

gotbass Member

shootlow - say it isn't so. If you quit I won't have any reason to visit Kansas. Mike

17. JLW

JLW TS Member

22 Hornet-"Before I give up on the shotgun sports, I will get rid of cable "

Most people have a lot of costly habits such as cell phones, blackberries, high speed internet, eating out, new auto's with high insurance rates/payments, motoe homes, etc. I guess for them, live would be empty w/o all that.

We retired at 50, have time for our grandchildren and to be a part of their lives, take frugal trips, gamble a bit ($20/day limit), spend a couple months at our cabin near Lake Superior and enjoy life. Life is good.

I know people who would feel cheated if they could not live a life full of "nice things" and for them, that is the meaning of life. We are all different.-Jerald

18. TEXASZEPHYR

TEXASZEPHYR Member

You guys are a breath of fresh air. I v'e scrimped and saved never sold a house when i moved up to a new one (just rented it out and let someone else make the payments for me. accumulated 4 of the suckers and all paid for. got a divorce last march and lost half of everything (1/4 mil). I retired this last saturday and have no intentions of giving up anything. I'll still shoot, I live on the lake (spell waterfront) fish when i want, sail a couple of times a week and oh yes golf occasionally. still the income is limited to about 5k a month and yes we feel the pinch, not from shooting but the other things in life, gas-groc-medical, everything is going up. it's just taken shooting a while to catch up with the rest of the world. fold em NO, I'll stay and maybe i can draw out on them. best bob

19. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Banned User Banned TS Supporters

Buying opportunities on cheaper used guns in the near future. What goes down will usually go up. This sport weathered $21/bag shot in the 70's and will survive!!

20. dverna

dverna Active Member

There will be a lot of great high end guns sold off in the next few years. Some of the high end manufactures will go under. K and/or P guns may be the Parkers of the next generation.

Last night a friend offered to sell me a P gun because they need the money. I will not buy it and sour the relationship but someone will get a good deal.

For me, I will keep my eye open for similar opportunities. A few months ago I acquired a BT99 Max for under $1000, and my girlfriend loves it. I am looking for a nice K-20 and a 28ga for me, and a K-80 combo for my girlfriend. I am in no hurry and know that the deals will be out there.

I continue to buy components in bulk and stock up on "promo" shells when they go on sale. We like to shoot and the majority of people we meet in the shooting sports.

I do not see personally "folding" quite yet. I am worried that clubs (including mine) may fold but there is a high end club close to me that will survive and we have talked about joining it next year.

No - no "folding" at this household.

Don

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.