1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Know Nothing reporters and Editors!

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by pyrdek, Dec 14, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pyrdek

pyrdek Well-Known Member

Want to see how little some reporters know about firearms, and then equate this with the HIS editor's viciously strong prejudice against firearms as printed numerous times in the same paper.

The following is a complete copy of an article in the Erie Times News on-line edition.

Man charged with carrying rifle into west Erie tavern

Staff report, Erie Times-News

An Erie man was jailed this morning after police said he walked into a westside tavern with a rifle.

Charles S. Johnson, 31, of the 600 block of East Eighth Street, was arraigned before Erie 3rd Ward District Judge Tom Carney on charges of carrying a firearm without a license, possession of a small amount of marijuana, possession of drug paraphernalia, possession of a controlled substance and disorderly conduct.

Police accuse Johnson of having a loaded Smith & Wesson .22-caliber long rifle in the front of his waistband while he was in a tavern in the 1000 block of West 18th St. early this morning, according to the criminal complaint filed in the case.

Johnson was placed in the Erie County Prison on $10,000 bond.

2. Catpower

Catpower Molon Labe TS Supporters

But, but, but they are investigative journalists

3. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

I bet it was a little rough walking with that "rifle" in his waistband.

4. pyrdek

pyrdek Well-Known Member

I would also like to point ot that Pennsylvania does NOT require a license to carry a RIFLE and open carry of handguns is also legal.

5. Dickgshot

Dickgshot Well-Known Member

Sir, is that a rifle in your pants, or are you just happy to see me?

6. CharlieAMA

CharlieAMA TS Supporters TS Supporters

Sir, put your er....weapon.

7. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

Scott pelley = IDIOT

8. g7777777

g7777777 TS Supporters TS Supporters

What a waste of band width. What is your point? Did you read the complaint?

Do you even know what the complaint said? Sure those words might have been in it but not charged-

In PA I know at least one city where carrying an open gun is a crime- not sure if Erie did that or not but Philly has

And who wants to be in a bar with an irate and drunk person with a gun displayed?

Regards from Iowa

Gene

9. pyrdek

pyrdek Well-Known Member

GN7777...

Did YOU read the posting or are you just reacting to the idea?

The man was jailed. That would say he was indeed arrested. To be jailed he would have been arrested so he would have to be charged.

By the way Open Carry IS legal in Philadelphia if you have a concealed weapons permit issued by PA or other reciprocal agreement state. Even so your strawman argument falls apart since THIS arrest and jailing did NOT occur in Philadelphia. It occurred about as far away from Philly as you could be and still be in Pennsylvania.

It is NOT illegal in Pennsylvania to openly carry, even into establishments that serve alcohol, in Pennsylvania. I will definitely grant you legal to does not make it wise to.

If you read the article, perhaps you can tell me where he was found to be drunk s you seem to allege happened. Especially so since he was NOT charged with public intoxication. Disorderly Conduct can be charged even for simply yelling, use a curse word or almost anything else a cop wants to claim.

Drug paraphernalia could be something as simple as a paper clip (used to hold a joint to get right to the very end) or a credit card (used to divide cocaine on a mirror or such) or a teaspoon (used to heat heroin) or any of a number of other things. Again, if the cop wants to say whatever you are carrying was, or could be, used for any aspect of illegal drug purposes then he can file the charge. Heck, even a dollar bill could be considered since it might have traces of cocaine on it and could be rolled into a tube to snort cocaine. Disregard that more than half the dollar bills in circulation have been reported to have trace amounts of cocaine on them. These traces could have been transferred in an ATM or cash register even. A small amount of marijuana is possible but again there have been reported incidents where such "evidence" has been planted on suspects. I do not know that is the case here but then again I do not know it isn't the case.

So you are on shaky ground with your strawman arguments and errors but you seem to think that the level of inaccuracy displayed by the reporter should be ignored? Who cares if a reporter is either too lazy or too ignorant to even know what misinformation he/she is spreading in a very public forum or even worse is willing to intentionally make statements that he/she knows to be incorrect (also called lying) in an effort to promote a cause.

By the way if you want to update your mistaken information about open carry in Pennsylvania, including Philadelphia, I have included a few web sites that can help you get better informed. It took only a few seconds to find these and much more information. Next time you may want to do the research yourself. (You may also note that in the case listed in Philly Disorderly Conduct charges filed in that incident drew a stinging rebuke to the prosecutor from the judge for even filing those charges.)

PA Open Carry Org.

Illegal arrest in Philly for open carry

Ignorant Phiily cops.

10. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    What is the point, Gene?

The reporter mistook a handgun chambered for .22 LR as meaning a .22 long rifle, thinking that indicated a rifle instead of a handgun.

Ironically your comment about wasting bandwidth is a waste of bandwidth.

11. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

Gene you can be a real moron sometimes. Did you even read the whole post by the OP? It's quite obvious if you did that it was way over your head. How in the heck you ever passed the Bar is beyond me. Talk about a waste of bandwidth, you certainly are.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.