1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Know anything about the Beretta 685?

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by GW22, Feb 19, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GW22

GW22 Active Member

I'm thinking about buying a Beretta 685 12ga with 30" barrels & fixed chokes and was hoping someone could provide more info/history on it. Actually I think it's a S685. Bluebook says the model was discontinued in 1986, but that's all I know about it. Looks similar to others in the 68_ series. Can anybody help? Thanks, Gary

2. Beretta687EELL

Beretta687EELL Well-Known Member

I believe that they do not have ejectors, extract only. Bill Malcolm

3. GW22

GW22 Active Member

This particular S685 has a left/right sliding button riding piggyback on the safety button. The marking is one dot, two dot, which I assume means it has selective triggers. Maybe that is what the "S" stands for in front of 685? The receiver is matte chrome finish. Were all 685s like that? I'm a little concerned about the little "cheek lugs" that serve as the hinge. It seems weak and vulnerble to wear compared to my old Beretta Mark II or even a Cirori. Are other 68_ series guns like this? The gun is tight as new and I don't plane to beat on it, so maybe it doesn't matter. Again, thanks for any/all info. -Gary

4. Heavy Hitter

Heavy Hitter TS Member

Here's a pic of my 20 ga 685 with X-tra wood. Llano Bill why do you think a different set of barrels from a 680 series won't work?

<a href="http://s143.photobucket.com/albums/r127/kyle_c_album/?action=view&current=685-7.jpg" target="_blank">[​IMG]</a>

Original stock was very plain and my brother had an extra stock after he re-stocked his. I'm not saying your wrong about the barrel thing but it sure looks like the same 680 series reciever.

5. GW22

GW22 Active Member

OK - THANKS everyone, this info has been very helpful -- Trunnions not a bad thing, selecive trigger & extractors only, barrels not interchangeable with other models. But what is the general opinion of the S685 as a nice shooter? Other than a well-worn Citori or some cheap gun, what else compares to this beautiful over/under for mid $600s? I've been to many gun shows and haven't seen anything this nice for the price. Saw a decent 12ga Winchester 101 for $700 but it was pre choke tube and not nearly as nice as this 685. -Gary

6. GW22

GW22 Active Member

I'm only comparing to other over/unders, by the way. -Gary

7. Heavy Hitter

Heavy Hitter TS Member

Gary,

I can't say much for longevity as I just bought mine last spring. The gentleman that I purchased the gun from said he didn't think he had a case of shells through it and it showed as a real closet queen. They are extremely light, haven't ever weighed mine, at least my 20 gauge is. I shot well over 1000 rounds through it at skeet and five stand this summer. The barrels were supposed to be mod/ic but when mic'd came in at a IM/LM which is what I would have ordered anyway had I ordered a new one.

I put close to 300-400 shells through it dove, grouse and pheasant hunting this year. My bird to shell ratio for grouse and pheasant was about 1.33 to 1 so this gun will be with me for the long haul hopefully.

Jim, you had to go and ruin my party as I really did want to find a set of choke tube 20 ga barrels for it and apparently that won't happen now :(. Oh well the gun's a shooter the way it is. I would have no hesistation buying another one if it looks to be in good condition.

8. GW22

GW22 Active Member

OK, I bought the gun. I appreciate everyone's comments. The gun is light, but if I decide to shoot much trap with it I'll put a few tungsten weights in the buttstock and install a better recoil pad. I'll probably add a center bead sight to the rib as well. Thanks again. -Gary

9. GW22

GW22 Active Member

I just got back from shooting the S685 for the first time. Very nice, but I was surprised to learn that the safety resets each time the gun is opened. Maybe this is common, and I suppose it's a nice safety feature for a field gun, but my Citori doesn't do this so I wasn't expecting it. Do all Beretta 68_ series guns reset the safety each time they're opened? -Gary (PS: Thanks Jim)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
beretta 685
beretta 685 value
beretta 685e
beretta model 685

beretta s685

beretta s685 review
beretta s685 shotgun
beretta s685 value