1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Knockout Loads

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by rhett1977, Sep 14, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rhett1977

rhett1977 Member

I have been invited to try knockout and the gentleman that invited me said he loads 1 3/8 oz 4,5, or 6's depending on the wind with Longshot. I would like to get suggestions from others concerning load weight and powder. Just curious what others out there are using. I appreciate the help. Thank you very much,
    Rhett

2. rhett1977

rhett1977 Member

I have been invited to try knockout and the gentleman that invited me said he loads 1 3/8 oz 4,5, or 6's depending on the wind with Longshot. I would like to get suggestions from others concerning load weight and powder. Just curious what others out there are using. I appreciate the help. Thank you very much,
    Rhett

3. Gold Medal

Gold Medal Member

Rhett,

Sorry I can`t help you with your request as I don`t reload the heavy stuff;

What is a knockout. I`m not familiar with that term in trapshooting.

4. Gold Medal

Gold Medal Member

Rhett,

Sorry I can`t help you with your request as I don`t reload the heavy stuff;

What is a knockout. I`m not familiar with that term in trapshooting.

5. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

Rhett, that sounds like a killer load (kills you, not the target.) I don't even load that heavy for pheasants.

Gold Medal, knockout is a trap shooting "game." Its played different ways in different places.

Generally, its where a bunch of guys line up along the 27 yard line, or further back, and one guy calls the target, shoots, if he misses, the guy to his right can shoot and if he hits the target the other guy is "out."

Sometimes there are rules about shooting chips from the previous guy's break. If he breaks the target, and you break his chip, he's out. If you miss, you're out.

Last person standing is the winner.

They use heavy loads because the targets can get waaaay out there sometimes.

6. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

Rhett, that sounds like a killer load (kills you, not the target.) I don't even load that heavy for pheasants.

Gold Medal, knockout is a trap shooting "game." Its played different ways in different places.

Generally, its where a bunch of guys line up along the 27 yard line, or further back, and one guy calls the target, shoots, if he misses, the guy to his right can shoot and if he hits the target the other guy is "out."

Sometimes there are rules about shooting chips from the previous guy's break. If he breaks the target, and you break his chip, he's out. If you miss, you're out.

Last person standing is the winner.

They use heavy loads because the targets can get waaaay out there sometimes.

7. NealSS

NealSS Member

Back up Loads Like we shoot here in Ky From about 60 Yards 31.5 Grains of Blue Dot ounce and a quarter 6,5,s in a wally world fed hull with a Brown Fed wad cheditte Primer works well.I prefer 31 grains of Long Shot AA case 1 3/8 Home Grown 5,s Using The {Almost Famous Little red wad} Can and will break them as far as the eye can see ! I do hope you are shooting a Good recoil reduction System it will Leave a Mark on BOTH ends !lol And they also work well In Blue Birds.

8. NealSS

NealSS Member

Back up Loads Like we shoot here in Ky From about 60 Yards 31.5 Grains of Blue Dot ounce and a quarter 6,5,s in a wally world fed hull with a Brown Fed wad cheditte Primer works well.I prefer 31 grains of Long Shot AA case 1 3/8 Home Grown 5,s Using The {Almost Famous Little red wad} Can and will break them as far as the eye can see ! I do hope you are shooting a Good recoil reduction System it will Leave a Mark on BOTH ends !lol And they also work well In Blue Birds.

9. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

And, make sure the range can handle the distance those large shot can travel.

10. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

And, make sure the range can handle the distance those large shot can travel.

11. need to shoot more

need to shoot more Active Member

60 yards and shooting pieces of the first bird from the 27??????? I must be living a sheltered life.

12. need to shoot more

need to shoot more Active Member

60 yards and shooting pieces of the first bird from the 27??????? I must be living a sheltered life.

13. 320090T

320090T Well-Known Member

Heck, that's a 16yd load in KY

14. 320090T

320090T Well-Known Member

Heck, that's a 16yd load in KY

15. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

I have been shooting long games for 30 years. Longshot will do the job but it is the hardest kicking powder out there along with Pro reach. I have found that 7625 is the softest and still gets out to the long ones. It is expensive but worth it in my opinion. Blue dot, 800X, Longshot & Pro Reacj kick like a mule

16. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

I have been shooting long games for 30 years. Longshot will do the job but it is the hardest kicking powder out there along with Pro reach. I have found that 7625 is the softest and still gets out to the long ones. It is expensive but worth it in my opinion. Blue dot, 800X, Longshot & Pro Reacj kick like a mule

17. wayneo

wayneo Active Member

For 1-1/4 ounce, FGM hull.....Herco.

I still have a small cache of Alcan-5. Wish I had the 220 Max-Fire primers to go with it.

Wayne

18. wayneo

wayneo Active Member

For 1-1/4 ounce, FGM hull.....Herco.

I still have a small cache of Alcan-5. Wish I had the 220 Max-Fire primers to go with it.

Wayne

19. Jawhawker

Jawhawker TS Member

Build your load around 4756 and you can't go wrong.

Now the short story of surviving the ordeal. You can send the womper stompers down the barrel but after 2,3,4 hours can you still stay in the gun? If you truly want to win and enjoy the game, design a load you can handle the recoil from for several hours of shooting. Unless your a pro ball player (wouldn't hurt to be on the front line) or have one heck of a recoil system mounted on your stock (still subjective) I doubt you'll want to send any payload with more than 1 1/4 oz of shot. They can tell you the stories but watch and you can learn the results!

20. Jawhawker

Jawhawker TS Member

Build your load around 4756 and you can't go wrong.

Now the short story of surviving the ordeal. You can send the womper stompers down the barrel but after 2,3,4 hours can you still stay in the gun? If you truly want to win and enjoy the game, design a load you can handle the recoil from for several hours of shooting. Unless your a pro ball player (wouldn't hurt to be on the front line) or have one heck of a recoil system mounted on your stock (still subjective) I doubt you'll want to send any payload with more than 1 1/4 oz of shot. They can tell you the stories but watch and you can learn the results!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

best loads for shooting knockout